Norm, Thanks for your help and support, Similar w&f readings from your WM-150 and my WM-2 are interesting … not sure what to make of it, but...
Update: Checking the voltages didn't yield much—nothing matched the values listed in the Service Supplement (except for polarity), though both of...
@JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ Thanks for sharing! That screw adjusts the tape-guide height. The head height on both my units is already properly...
Norm, Thanks for the support and the tips. I’ll give your belt-cleaning method a try. Of course, the belt slipped off a couple of times while...
Update: Performed the capstan etching on the donor unit. An interesting (and slightly nerve-wracking) procedure. Unfortunately, it didn't resolve...
No worries, Norm! I’m always happy to help a fellow vintage audio enthusiast, so just let me know if you need that spring. I definitely hear you...
Norm, It really is a WM-2 mystery. After looking through Service Manual Supplement #2 and comparing the schematics against my two units, it’s...
Thank you, Norm! By the way, I meant to ask you if you sorted out the WM-2 Gen 1 missing-part mystery. Alex
Thank you, Norm. I appreciate the tip on checking for belt twists—I learned that lesson the hard way during my first few installations. It’s so...
Scratch that previous update—the correct thickness belts didn't actually help after all. Wishful thinking got the better of my ears on the first...
@JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ, send me a PM. It appears there were several modifications after Supplement 2, as both of my WM-2 units vary slightly...
@Valentin, Mechanically—aside from the capstan etching option—I feel I’ve taken it as far as I can. I’ve gone over every potential friction...
Norm, Thanks for the advice on the ferric chloride treatment. I’ve had reservations about chemical etching myself, so I'm holding off until every...
@worldwide137 , @Valentin, Thanks for your insights, gents! There was no corrosion on the motor pulley—just on the battery terminals, and some of...
An update on this bewildering project. I have good news and “the same” news to report. The good news: after replacing the supply reel gear with a...
@worldwide137 Thank you, Norm. The feeling is mutual - your successful work inspires me too... Part II Tape Transport Service As you can see...
Thanks again, Norm. I used a Silicone Mold Making Kit, 21OZ Fast Cure Translucent Silicone Rubber (link to Amazon where I bought it - no...
Thank you, Norm! I overfilled the mold slightly with JB Weld, and after the insertion of the Pause key, I only removed the escaping excess of the...
@Mister X and @worldwide137 I just posted a new thread here: https://stereo2go.com/forums/threads/jvc-rc-838-jw-ii-restoration.11464/
I recently completed JVC RC-838 JW II restoration and wanted to share some of my experiences and impressions. This was a non-working unit, and it...
Separate names with a comma.