aiwa hs-pl50 without audio ..... restored

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Silver965, Jun 11, 2020.

1. JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ

JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ Active Member

Many thanks! Very clarify the photos, the component can be see in their real shape.

Unfortunately in this case there are differences between pl50 and px50. I can't find in the scheme the component. I don't know wich type of component is it, could be a diod but I'm not sure. I think the only way to get the part is extracting it from an other similar unit.

I was located a site with incredible stock of legendary walkmans with a very affordable prices but I think is a fake or fraudulent site, be careful!

www.designorigins.co.uk

2. mattb1970

mattb1970 Member

You could do a diode check between the pins to see if they conduct about 0.6V in one direction and open circuit in the opposite direction.
    I had a look online for a schematic and couldn't find anything.

Jorge and Silver965 like this.
  3. mattb1970

mattb1970 Member

Oh and that website is definitely dodgy! Photos and descriptions look like they're taken from an auction site and most seem to be discounted to £33

4. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

ok i found this schematic of another aiwa hs-pl55 i think it is the same component .... they are 4 diodes connected on the buttons converge on an output .... our walkman have the mixed circuit between these schemes

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    Jorge and mattb1970 like this.
  5. mattb1970

mattb1970 Member

Screenshot_20201012-133702__01__01.jpg Diodes Incorporated MMBD4448HCQW is a 5-pin surface mount quad diode array with common cathode. Not sure if it would be small enough (SOT-353).

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    Jorge likes this.
  6. JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ

Many thanks guys!

Now I'm a bit confusing, I don't know if the component has 4 or 5 pins, this is the aspect of the pcb DSC_0993.png

7. JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ

It seems to have 5 pins DSC_0994.png

8. JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ

But the component has, at this moment, 4 pins DSC_0989.png DSC_0978.png DSC_0989.png DSC_0978.png

Jorge and Silver965 like this.
  9. JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ

The back side, it will be necessary to restore the traces, as they have been pulled of

Attached Files:

10. JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ

At Silver965's pictures of the component, I can see two pins at the front side and one more at the back side, but the pic doesn't have the best perspective for what I need to see

11. JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ

It makes sense, base in the schematic, that the component has 5 pins, but now has only 4 pins, it could be the 5th pin dissappears when the heat broke the component

12. JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ

The other possibility is the component has 4 pins and there is a join t between two traces, in this case I think there would be these ones

Attached Files:

13. Silver965

So let's start again from the diagram .... the output of the broken piece (light blue) goes directly to the transistor (Yellow) .... from the hold button comes a wire (red) that connects to a 220k resistor (224 on the resistor) the output of the resistor goes on the base of the transistor and on another 220 k resistor that goes towards ground .... on my pl 50 and so .... Then a wire starts from the transitor that goes directly to the piece broken and must necessarily be one of the contacts (test if it continues)

Attached Files:

Jorge and Machaneus like this.
  14. JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ

Yes, it has continuity with the transistor, then the diode has 5 pins. I'm investing if the part suggested by Mattb1970 matching the available space, however it seems to be out of stock in the main sites. I'll continue searching, meanwhile another options.

15. mattb1970

mattb1970 Member

I think I know the function of the diodes in this circuit. When the Remote switch [S6] is set to OFF, Q13 is turned on and this pulls the cathodes of the diodes [C] to GND, so the anodes will be at 1 diode voltage drop (typically 0.6V). When each button S7, S8, S9 and S10 are pressed points [D], [E], [F] and [G] will be pulled down to approx 0.6V. I believe each switch will have a different voltage level (set by potential dividers) and is measured by the comparator IC5 to determine the function. The diodes are there to block the signal in case you press more than one button at a time, as this would only confuse the comparator.

Jorge, Silver965 and Machaneus like this.
  16. JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ

I'm not an expert, but it makes sense and explains very well the function of the diode and the insights of this part of the schematic!

17. JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ

18. mattb1970

mattb1970 Member

Hope it fits. Will take some patience and steady hands to fit. I usually use leaded solder and a bit of flux to help the solder flow nicely. Good luck!

19. Silver965

You could give it a try to see if it works

Attached Files:

Machaneus and mattb1970 like this.
  20. mattb1970

mattb1970 Member

That's a good idea Silver965, maybe attach with thin wires or enamelled copper wire to protect the solder pads from lifting.​