aiwa hs-pl50 without audio ..... restored

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Silver965, Jun 11, 2020.

1. neachnow

neachnow New Member

I think I have learned a lot from this topic ,thanks your share this experience ,thanks to Silver965 ,JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ,mattb1970. Recently I received an AIWA HS-JL30 and the function is restored by re-cap ,and the sound is also great .

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
    mattb1970 and Silver965 like this.
  2. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

I am glad that all this has helped you I hope it will also be useful to others ... Thanks

3. JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ

JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ Active Member

I'm very happy if my work helping another one, because for me it would be imposible to fix the bad boy without the helping of this guys and this site.

Some pics of your aiwa will be much apreciated!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  4. neachnow

neachnow New Member

Yes ,I also like this site and many kindly guys provide professional advise ,this is so good the tech discussion thread ,we can see the problem until problem be solved ,from failure to success .
    Attached some AIWA JL30 some pictures , I have made a leather sheath by myself。
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. Silver965

I would say they have the same mechanics looking at your photo

Meccanica jl30.jpg Meccanica pl50.jpg

6. Silver965

stuck-in-time likes this.
  7. funbear

funbear New Member

thanks for sharing your repairing experience. I recently got an AIWA HS-PL50 too. After replacing all the capacitors and thoroughly clean up the main board, the mechanism works but the volume adjustment is not working. Earphone will be at maximum volume after plug-in. I may need some help if anyone could. I have two questions: 1. where can I find service manual for PL50? If it is free download, will someone share a link? 2. I replace the volume VR, it still output maximum volume. Any idea where I should check? thank you in advance for all the aiwa headphone stereo lovers.

8. Silver965

Hello and welcome .
    I'm sorry I don't have the service manual of this Walkman and I don't know where to find it ... I looked for a while but then I resigned ... but thanks to other schemes I would say similar can make a diagnosis.
    Of the HS-PL 55 scheme you can see that it uses the same CIP BA3513A and thanks to the photos taken when I repaired mine, I say and the same scheme .. from your description Check if it continues from the 10k resistance to the potentiometer pole indicated by the black arrow

Pl 50.jpg Pl 50b.jpg Pl 50c.jpg

9. funbear

funbear New Member

Hi Silver 965,
    These are very helpful information. Thank you! Yes, PL50 has exactly same design on those areas. I also have another heavily damaged PL50 board as a reference. Now the supposed-to-be-fixed board got different readings from the meter. The three deep blue resistors when soldering on the board (without VR soldered) got all wrong readings. R19 and R20 came back 29-30K (supposed to be 100k) ohm. R11 came back with 8.7k (supposed to be 10k) ohm on the meter. But when I took them out, the readings are fine. the reference board has all the correct readings (even it is dirty and has partially damaged traces) Do you have an idea what has cause the wrong readings (when they are soldered on the circuit board.)? I tried to check all the traces/through holes and cleaned up, the reading are still incorrect. It is so odd.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
  10. funbear

funbear New Member

Hi Silver965, will you be able to share the service manual of PL55? if not I can understand so no worries. The diagram of PL55 just may be able to help me to figure the resistor issues. Do you think maybe I got a bad electrical capacitor among them? When I connect the PL50 to my computer speaker, I can still hear the volume go louder if I adjust the volume knob, but only slightly higher (cause it was already so loud.) Maybe one of the transistors got bad?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
  11. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I looked for it too to no avail unfortunately.

12. Silver965

HI
    I am attaching the manual below...a few posts ago you will also find the px50 manual..the difference between the two is that one uses DSL and the other uses BBE...they share the same cips as the pl50 which is a mix of the two
    Returning to the circuit where I indicate with the black arrow it should be a ground or gnd... but in this case it is not... pin 24 of the BA3513 cip is connected to the volume control and also to other... I think this be the problem ..follow the trail ...some components are in the picture I can't find any others from the photos I have

Pl 50d.jpg

Pl 50e.jpg

13. Silver965

I had to compress it a bit it was 17 Mb
    otherwise I couldn't upload it here

Attached Files:

Emiel likes this.
  14. Emiel

Nice to see W&F specified, although at 0,45% on the high side. Most of these overperformed it seems, so that is a good thing. The frequency response surprises me a bit, 8Khz at the top of the range?

15. funbear

funbear New Member

Hi Silver 965, I cannot find the trace on the two red circles (RN4610) indicated above but all other green traces are connected (grounded). Will you elaborate more? thank you.

16. funbear

funbear New Member

Problem solved. It was a GND issue. Thank you for all the helps! Really helpful on the diagram and indicators @ Silver 965. This player has an unique DSL signature sound other than PX505 or PL30/35. the only minor issue is the mute switch, when rewind or fast forward the volume still a bit loud comparing with other Aiwa players I have. after clean up the symptom remains. Since I have a few aiwa having the same issue. I believe the mosfets got damaged because the heat of soldering? Can I use 2SK880-Y(XY instead of XG) to replace it?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
    Silver965 likes this.
  17. Silver965

Well it was as I thought.. that point indicated with the black arrow on the PL50 and ground gnd
    for the Mute.. change one and try to listen if it goes...
    the Mute command starts from the cip 9311 from pin 14 try to see if there is continuity near the mosfets

Pl 50f.jpg Pl 50g.jpg

18. Silver965

and only indicative With normal tape .. higher instead with chrome and metal and in any case also other walkmans are like this

Emiel likes this.
  19. Emiel

See this screenshot of the HS-F07/P07/U07 service manual.
    Lower W&F and better frequency response.
    79E38105-CFE3-4C2C-8CA3-B35FA0799D78.jpeg

Silver965 likes this.
  20. funbear

funbear New Member

I have a PL-55 has a bad diode or mosfet (probably D1 or Q2), when playing, the sound will not come out for the first 1-2secs. This pL-50 and my other PL30 share the same issue that the Mickey-mouse sound was very noticeable when FF or rewind tapes.The solder joints of those chips were triple-checked and cleaned. Since the electrical capacitors did not leak that far into those areas, I really think it is the bad diodes or damaged mosfets causing the problem. Will report to see if they can be fixed in the future.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    Silver965 likes this.