1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

aiwa hs-pl50 without audio ..... restored

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Silver965, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

ok we narrowed the field... most likely the Q9 2sk880 doesn't work well... the red dot is connected to the volume channel that you indicated as not working...
    on the blue dot you should have the audio output from BBE.
    If you connect the two dots, to test, you should hear normal audio...

Q9.jpg KG.jpg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
  2. JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ

JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ Active Member

Let's go for it! Should I check the Q conecting to an amplifier, joint dots and negative to he ground? Maybe this time have to solder both dots and pass the wire to the other side to the pcb in order to performance the test easily

3. Silver965

So starting from R43 in blue on the left, following the circuit on the other side ... cross the capacitor and get to Q9 on the right ... from the red pin following the circuit back to the left and enter the potentiometer

Pl50 AB.jpg

4. JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ

If I understand well , it should have been sound at the red dot of the left side if the Q it`s ok

5. JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ

Quick update, I found from an old aiwa a donor Q, desolder the bad one and solder the donor, unfortunately, nothing's change IMG_20230418_235500.jpg IMG_20230419_000228.jpg

6. JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ

Left channel not any sound from. By the way I decide to desolder the right' Q channel and test the bad one putting at rhe right channel, , no sound, when I solder again the god one at the right channel, not any sound in both channels :ohno2:

7. JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ

Not any sound at the BBE outputs, I assume the Q's gone bad during the soldering and desoldering process, or the solder is not well executed, altouhg it seems to be ok. I order 4 new Q's to install fresh ones. Now the only sound is the beep that confirms operation when you press the buttons, play, stop.... But only through right channel, It's confusing. Maybe there is something wrong in the ic. I think the troubles could be caused for a suddenly peak of voltage for not using correct current adaptor

8. JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ

I test the pre-amplifier outputs too, the are normal sound

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
  9. Silver965

and true I have not taken into consideration the audio Beep ( green square )
    you should hear it on both channels ... enter where a few photos ago I indicated Amp In ... another test before replacing the cip ... check the welds on the output capacitors

Beep.jpg

10. JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ

I've found in Ali Express a second hand pre- amplifier ic, for 3€, I have ordered, until it arrives, I try to test all I can. I think it's not a weld issue cause before recapping only one channel sound was present. Maybe it woul be a corroded or broken trace. I'll check continuity comparing my other unit to guess where the trouble is located

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
  11. JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ

Resoldering the q's , now have the right channel working again, and not any sound or beep at the left channel. Testing with an amplifier, pre and bbe out ok both channels. Compairing with my other unit, R51 had to have sound but don't have, from here R17 and R19 don't have too, However, R52, R18 and R20 ( right channel) have all sound

12. JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ

13. JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ

These are the resistors that don't have signal. I'm still have waiting for the pre amplifier ic, meanwhile I keep on testing and seeking for clues

14. Silver965

HI :wavey:
    the left and right audio signal arrives on the output capacitors of the BBE and enters the MOSFETs (Q10 - Q9) as indicated in the picture as indicated with the arrows... you should have the signal at these points on both channels...
    Returning to the previous published photos.. if on the volume input you have only one channel that works...
    it means that one of the two Mosfets (Q9) does not work. To test.. you can exclude Q9 and connect pins D and S together (see diagram ) and check if the audio reaches you at the AMP input...
    these two Mosfets only have the Muting function, they are like two switches that you open and close the audio when needed... but if you want, you can do without it for now

pl50c.jpg pl50d.jpg

15. JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ

At least some leasure time.

With the Q9 bridged, signal arrives to the input volume, but still not sound at left channel. Since that point I was following the schematic, the cuplrit since to be resistor 17, after it there is not audio signal

16. JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ

If I joint this way, skipping the R17, the left channel works IMG_20240816_234731.jpg

17. JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ

Resistor 17 have to gone bad, it's no very usual, I think, a resistor fails.

At that point, the bad news are the right channel has lower volumen than the left one. I was adjusting the gain but not way. The sound pressure in channel right is not loud enough.

Again throught the schematic, I've adjusted the gain at the BBE outputs, R29, R30, to have similar sound level at both channels. From there I was following the signal path, I founded a slightly drop between R50 and R48

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2024
  18. JUAN ANDRES MONTIEL DIEZ

It seems R48 gone bad, connecting that way both channels have same sound level

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2024
  19. Silver965

Hello ..it's been a while ...
    I don't recommend connecting the resistors as it is
    R48 and R50 are separated by two different functions and connecting them together can be harmful
    R17 -C17 -R19 are directly in audio output to the headphones
    R17 at a value of 3.3 ohms
    If you have replaced the capacitors check that C17 is in place and with the polarity in the right direction i.e. + towards R17

aiwa .jpg

20. Silver965

the connection you made on R17 and by doing this
    you exclude both R17 and Capacitor C17
    aiwa a.jpg