1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AIWA/SONY MDR-CD,MDR-5a,MDR-M,MDR-E,MDR-A,AIWA HP-V and others of the golden era

Discussion in 'Headphones Area' started by sanchos, Nov 4, 2018.

1. DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg Member

In my experience, the E747 is the last real Sony bud, it still has the attributes of the vintage series.

2. DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg Member

You mean the only difference between the E252? Which is better in your opinion? I'd like to get a Sony MDR-E265 someday.

3. sanchos

sanchos Member

Hello i made successful experiment with MDR-E242 & MDR-A60 and basically made my own MDR-E282
    MDR-E242 with sapphire evaporated diaphragm speaker and LC-OFC cable. The sound is really good detailed and clean.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  4. DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg Member

WOW! Do you have a reference of the E282 sound? Why did you dismantle your A60? It's supposed to be one of the best sounding lightweight Sonys. Or vertical is not your thing?
    Cheers :)

5. sanchos

sanchos Member

I can't sleep with MDR-A60 but the fidelity is there for sure!
    I can some day reassemble it again.
    I think reference is there also. MDR-E242 body is the same as MDR-E262,but E282 is Turbo II with extended tube inside the stem
    2.jpg

6. DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg Member

Yeah, the houses are supposed to be the same so they are supposed to be nice. Cool!
    I have got a DR-W70c which used to be a vertical set with mics.
    The drivers in it are surprisingly good! Like insanely good...I wonder if you know what drivers they used in
    them. Cheers!

7. sanchos

sanchos Member

I believe is E262 drivers with front dome with 19 holes in it 18-20000Hz 108dB

8. DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg Member

Tbh I doubt that. I have an E262, a W20 and an A20, all which share the same driver, and the W70 has a very noticeable, distinguishable presentation.

9. sanchos

sanchos Member

Vertical positioning make huge difference in sound stage department, cavity also and the cable, front equalizer mesh behind the metal mesh.

10. DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg Member

Of course, what is interesting here is the vertical positioning. You think it decreses soundstage?

11. sanchos

sanchos Member

No. This position add benefits to the sound stage, adds clarity and space.

12. sanchos

sanchos Member

Insane
    282.jpg

13. Walkmaniac

Walkmaniac Member

makes my €1000 purchase of the E282 feel like a bargain!

14. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Never heard one, what is so good about this earbuds?

15. sanchos

sanchos Member

My MDR-E484B MDR-747LP MDR-E484B
    MDR-E747 L driver was replaced with driver from MDR-E551 (same sound)
    20200407_104203.jpg 20200407_104138.jpg

Silver965, DrZoidberg and Mister X like this.
  16. chengdude

chengdude New Member

Hello everyone,

Was inspired (and...well...a bit self-serving) to join the forum after stumbling across this topic.

Here's another "golden era" Sony earbud, albeit nowhere near the apparent desirability of the E282 like sanchos posted above. I actually watched that whole auction in amazement as the bidding grew ever more astonishing:

Can you guess the model? Of course I know, but am looking for any additional background info because I can't find anything else online that matches these. I'll be back with the answer... :emoji_blush:

DrZoidberg likes this.
  17. chengdude

chengdude New Member

Here's the answer: It's the MDR-E472:

IMG_20200429_212952-50.jpg

The 472 is known as a budget E484, supposedly using the same driver but cheaper wiring and definitely lacking the expensive ceramic housing.

But here's the additional info I would love to find out...the E472 is seen either with or without an inline volume control and always in black with a grey cap at the bottom port and a yellow bar at the rear port.

But mine are a gunmetal finish (smoky chrome?) with metallic gold for the bottom and rear ports.

Ever see one like it? I haven't, nor has Google, Bing, or Baidu as far as I could tell.

The do sound extremely smooth and relaxed, so I can certainly believe they're hiding a very nice driver inside those cheaper (but flashy!) housings.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    DrZoidberg likes this.
  18. DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg Member

Well...you know what I say? Of course not. :) That is: Vintage earbuds can always surprise you :) AMAZING FIND, Congrats!
    Seems like an absolute E472 with this extra paint(?) I am truly astonished. Either there were an extremely rare series or a
    former owner was quite creative. Certainly doesn't seem like a fake, definitely not. Either some creative stuff or the rarest
    version of the 472 no one ever heard about. And now the specifics as I am aware: after years and years of first and second hand
    information, I can safely say that the 472 had different kinds of drivers. The 484's diamond evaporated diaphragm was pretty exclusive,
    and they did not use them in 472s (although the sound of the 472 is not that far behind.) You can see the the difference on the driver.
    The original 484 ones have a small golden ring at the middle for example, you don't see this on 472's drivers. Second, the 472's were
    always used with the inline controls, at least I am not aware of any piece as a standalone. I highly suspect that the ones that look like
    standalones were all modded, using the small cable organizer from the inline versions to split the standalone cable. But I might be mistaken.
    At least never heard about a standalone 472 (and I own a couple and owned/made a couple more :) :) ) Thirdly, the sound can be really
    good, relaxed, appealing from the 472. It is still not a 484 though (I don't know your experiences with them, sorry if I tell you the obvious.)
    472 although came out at least in 3 versions as far as I'm concerned: the thin line at the top that splits the top chamber can be yellow, white,
    or silver (as it is, supposedly silver-made) colour. The yellow and the white ones are supposedly around the same quality where the silver
    is basically almost a 484 regarding SQ. Never owned a silver though, I have a yellow and a white, but only one has original 472 drivers in it.
    Either way welcome on board, I'm very happy for your find, please show more pictures if you have capacity/time, and if you
    feel like it, please share any subsequent information about it. God I originally wanted to boast about my new 232s. But this tops it all! :)
    Long live vintage Sonys! Cheers

19. sanchos

sanchos Member

I have seen photo of this silver version in stock image website

DrZoidberg likes this.
  20. DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg Member

Wowser! Can you send that here?