1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are these seriously walkman prices now?

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Squiggly, Apr 7, 2024.

1. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

I find it funny that people get so steamed up and vent about prices, these things are not essential to life.
    Maybe I say the above because I don’t collect anything, they are tools made for a purpose and I only use them for that purpose. If it is not functional or sounding good, I am not interested. Not interested in sticking them on a shelf to look at and I am not interested in bragging rights.

Some people buy them because they think it’s an investment, they are more of a liability than an asset.
    If I want something that sits there and looks pretty and appreciate in price, I’ll buy art. I work for an art gallery, so I see things that sit around and appreciate in price all the time. Even that is a gamble, you are banking on an even bigger mug coming along and willing to pay more than you paid for it in the first place.
    We all remember when Guardians of the Galaxy came out and Sony TPS-L2 went from £50 to over £2000, where is the price now?
    If you going to buy these things, buy them because you like them and you want to enjoy them. Don’t buy for investment, you are more than likely going to lose. :nwink:

2. Recaptcha

Recaptcha Well-Known Member

I totally agree with this. What I think is funny is how people find 'investments' out of the silliest things. On the show "Pawn Stars", people take in all kinds of junk that they feel was an investment, just to be told it's really not worth much. Art, coins, & silver/gold are the mainstays, and one of a kind antique pieces are the once in a lifetime investments. Heck, I've heard people on this forum trying to insure a Walkman collection... What would Rick Harrison say lol. A 'Guys & Dolls' Walkman appeared on the show once...

Any entry-level economics class teaches about 'sticky prices', which is the principle of prices staying where they are once they come up. Essentially, when the price of milk or bread or eggs spikes during a recession, they are going to stay at that rate even when the economy improves, and will only drop a small percentage. This is why we are seeing high prices for Walkmans now.... prices came up, people bought, the prices became sticky. I'm still a proponent that you can get good deals on Walkmans tho... and I've said that multiple times in this thread.

Last, I feel as if we used to see our boomboxes & Walkmans as a 'neat thing', even when value wasn't attached to it. You collected radios and tape players because they had a cool sound, and it was a unique way to play music 10 years ago. With vinyl/cassette culture on the rise now, it's not unique, it's a pop culture icon. To make matters worse, a lot of new collectors have come into the hobby because of the recent interest in the monetary value of such things. 'Let's get a super cool walkman as cheap as we can, then fix it halfway, and make a huge profit... oh yeah, and lets complain when the repercussions of our own actions infect the entire market!'

Stop seeing dollar signs people, start listening to the music!!

Hyperscope and Valentin like this.
  3. givemeyourwalkmans

givemeyourwalkmans Active Member

I paid over €2000 for my DD9. I listen to tapes on it regularly and it sounds as good as gold. I really couldn't care to justify the price to anyone. But if I have to, I got it from a guy who is part of the German philharmonic. It's probably one of the best sounding, best condition DD9 units ever. At least if you're me (all things are subjective). He wanted €3500. But I convinced him to sell it for a lot less. Couldn't imagine life without it. It has its original case and I'm very careful with it and will use it for many more years to come. Even if it broke to the point of never working again, just because it's in perfect cosmetic condition I could still sell it for a small fortune whenever/if ever that day comes. You can't really put a price on enjoyment. Or you can. But the price is different per person. For me throwing this money down on a Walkman is nothing. Maybe that gives you an idea about what my bank account looks like. Maybe it doesn't. Perhaps I'm a fool who is broke and spends all his money on these things. The point here is let's not judge who is willing to pay what.

However, I do kind of feel some are forgetting that some people have money to burn. I just finished mentioning that I was either gonna buy $10k of shares and my wife suggested Walkmans instead. So that's what I'm doing. They'll only ever go one way, and that's what we call a good investment. You disagree, fine. An investment can lose money sure, and I could lose money. But obviously I have enough money that I'm very comfortable losing what I've already input. But in the here and now, I want to enjoy the devices I have.

I know TooCool said he'd rather buy art but hah, different strokes for different folks. Some of these models are a work of art as far as I am concerned. Some real thought went into a lot of these. I think most art these days is garbo anyway. I'd rather look at digital art, on a digital screen or take my own photographs like I have been for years. Everyone is different. Not everyone appreciates Walkmans. Yes part of the prices are just from hype. I don't blame only Techmoan or Guardians of the Galaxy. People are also realising analogue devices actually can sound very good. There's a certain sense of actual "sanity" that comes with their design and features. Less is actually more. You can't emulate that with an iPod. It's not just about trying to roleplay or brag. I've spoken to a lot of people who have real feelings in these things.

You'll always find someone is willing to pay a ridiculous amount of money for something you think is junk. I think the TPS-L2 actually looks pretty meh. I wouldn't even pay $50 for one even if I could flip it for 2 grand because it plastic, probably sounds crap compared to any of my other models and I'd feel I am ripping someone off. But that's just me. Facts for me are. I've never made a bad investment and I've never lost money on a Walkman I've sold. Not one. I couldn't ever see any of my models as a "liability" but then I also don't buy junk. I wait for models that are basically mint and I either fix them or take them to a reputable person to be tuned. Then I get to own a piece of art that I was patient to have. I also sell models I don't use or care about any more. That said, I've basically already got perfect or near perfect samples of the devices I actually wanted. I got them without too much hassle, so I am satisfied. I've even managed to get some amazing new old stock for peanuts cost. So that helps when I have to justify shelling out a lot for a model I 'really' want like the DD9. So I don't buy much anymore. Still I have some awesome stuff to share with my kids and family. I'm a happy man. If it's all about saving money (which I don't care about) I could for sure wait longer and longer and hope I find something cheaper. But I also have learned that time is money and if I want something I need to put up the cash for it.

If I ever decide to sell out, eh I guess I could buy a cheap yacht and listen to the waves instead. Who cares though, if I wanted a yacht I would have got one and not Walkmans.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
    Cassette2go and Hyperscope like this.
  4. TooCooL4

I agree with you, for me it’s all about the music and if you see most of my posts. It’s all about what music I am enjoying now, I don’t care about gear. The gear is just a means to an end of enjoying music.

5. TooCooL4

I got my Sony DD9 for £150.

I have the good sounding units I wanted, D6C, DC2 and DD9, they all get used by being rotated in and out. I use a unit for a week for my commute to and from work, then switch out for a different unit the following week.

I don't see any of them as an investment, they are only an investment in me enjoying music on the move. As long as I have enjoyed them for what they are made for, the resale value means nothing to me.
    To each his / her own. :thumbsup2:

Thomas Monteith likes this.
  6. givemeyourwalkmans

In the spirit of poking fun at people who throw money on things.

My attention turns to all those people who buy 100 different Amiibos, Action Heroes, Marvel Statues or even Warhammer 40k collectibles. Why would someone buy so much mass produced stuff that's just going to end up being landfill? Now that's owning a liability.

EDIT: Sure, but I doubt you'd sell it today for £150. So it really doesn't matter that you got one for so cheap. Because the value is actually a lot higher. If I'm wrong and it's all just about the music then DM me and I'll buy it for £250 and you can even have made a profit ;) I could do with a donor for my own.

With that I've said my piece. See you all in another thread.

Hyperscope likes this.
  7. TooCooL4

I buy things to use and I am still using it, so why would I sell it. I give most things away when I have no more need for it. I'll think of you when I have no more need for it. :delighted:

Cassette2go likes this.
  8. givemeyourwalkmans

I know I said it was my last post, but I found this interesting.
    https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/p1134641868

I've been searching a good condition PX30 and 50 for a long time. Finally one appears, and with the box, DC adapter, stand, gumstick, battery housing and even the original bag.
    The labels, and text on them are even in good condition, there's just some scratches on the top middle section it seems (if they aren't reflections) which likely could be buffered a bit.
    By the looks it's just missing the manuals which aren't that hard to find.

It started bidding at ¥0.1. Within only a few minutes the bidding price is already above €600 (¥100,000) and there's only 20 bids. So someone clearly wants it bad.
    With tax on the item and shipping, plus insurance. I'd likely be looking at over €850.

The real kicker? It's not even confirmed to work.

Yet I am still tempted to buy this as it would likely end a years long search for this device.
    Good condition models like this don't come around much and there aren't really any better heads in other Walkmans unless you want to try and transplant them in some kind of experiment.
    Maybe I am not experienced in all the ways of trying to find these two Aiwas but I haven't seen many in condition that looks any better than having been run over by a truck.

Despite already paying almost the same (before shipping and tax) for a perfect BNIB never used WM-F701C which is a model I didn't even want that much; I'll still likely let this one pass, mainly because the operation isn't confirmed and I don't like buying Walkmans that don't work regardless of their cosmetic condition or feature set.
    The PX30 and PX50 aren't exactly easy to fix or maintain either.

My head tells me that it might be an even longer time before another one shows up with all its accessories etc.
    but I also know that luck as a lot to do with it. It could be tomorrow someone sells a BNIB one for only €200 and I get to be the one to buy it.

You can never know with these things.

Gave me some food for thought though. How I was comfortable spending €550 of the WM-F701C but €850 is too much for a Walkman I've spent 5 years chasing.

Hyperscope likes this.
  9. Hyperscope

Hyperscope Well-Known Member

I can somehow agree with TooCooL4, Recaptcha and givemeyourwalkmans all at the same time.

Time is money and life is short. Use money to enjoy great things. I believe some of these devices are like artworks and think it's great to own and use and enjoy them. I don't judge anyone for paying "too much" for anything. There are millions of high net worth individuals doing all kinda of cool things. I find it all inspirational and exciting, generally speaking :thumbsup:

givemeyourwalkmans and Valentin like this.
  10. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

I'm on the same page, all points of view presented have value and are valid.

From one perspective, walkmans are a means to an end which is listening to music or having a certain experience when listening to music.
    They're not essential to life, but I imagine for most members of this forum these devices are important, otherwise we wouldn't talk about it.

Then about how much someone spends on or invests in these devices, that's only their business. They don't need to justify it to other people.
    Yes, there are many high net worth individuals that are very inspirational and do a lot of cool things. Money should be used to enjoy great things.

At the same time, it should be obvious that walkman prices do matter for a majority of individuals, otherwise we wouldn't discuss it.
    I'm always in favour of chasing good deals, because this way more people can get what they desire and enjoy it. That's really what it comes down to.

Last edited: May 1, 2024
    givemeyourwalkmans and Jorge like this.
  11. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I love it all and I got a ton of it, mostly vintage. My degree is in Industral Design and guess what, most of this came from the golden age of design so yes it is art. In fact old concept renderings of anything vintage are now going for silly money. There's a great thread over on Garage Journal, the guy built a huge garage and now had a ton of cars, tools, signs and other vintage swag decorating it and he has a ton of fun! If you like this stuff, it's a must read.
    https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/building-my-big-party-garage.153099/

If you want certain models and the need is now, you may end up paying a premium but if you play the long game, you'll find all kinds of bargains. I do some desk work and spend time on the phone while looking over auctions site, I find equipment all the time, maybe too much. Doing outside sales also helps, around here I pass by dozens of thrift stores and now the garage sale signs are popping up like crazy. In the old days I might have gone to 10+ places a week and was finding a good amount of stuff.

Always ask, the Pansonic RX-5040 (which has never made an appearance on the forum before) which I posted in the B&B thread was from asking while buying something else, I also got the Infinity Player last year from asking.

Certain times of year are great for shopping, I call November to mid-January "Boombox Season." There's a ton of rare stuff and it's cheap, last fall there was a Discolite for $300 USD a few M70's for $200 and PMD-430's and D6's were going for around $300.

I've always like the passion of collectors, through work I've met a ton with all kinds of interesting stuff, drafting drawings, toy trains, sync school clocks, metal fans, car engines, art, vans, bikes, etc. They're a blast to talk to and luckily the stuff they have is similar to cassette equipment, it would have been binned if someone didn't grab it. I remember in the late 90's, 10-speeds and BMX bikes were tossed all the time, now they're worth a fortune.

Emiel and Valentin like this.
  12. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Items are worth what people are prepared to pay at the time. I do believe that there is a "nostalgia wave" which will probably fall back in a few decades time. Forty years ago, when I could have been buying most of the items mentioned new, I was into collecting valve (tube) radios. I actually paid £20 ( over £60 inflation adjusted) for a very pretty Philips. Looking on eBay etc I doubt if anyone would pay £60 for it today.

On the subject of items in films, earlier this week I have been looking at the price of Casio F-100 watches. I have a personal interest as I got a brand new one for my 16th birthday, back when Digital Watches were still cool. The appearance of two of them in the film "Alien" had the same affect on the prices of those as Guardian's of the Galaxy had on the prices of TPS-L2 Walkmans. I don't think they are going up any longer though. How much would I pay for one? Not that much, but quite a few times the price of a brand new, far more capable Casio.

Finally, on the subject of watches I was rather surprised to see brand new Swatch watches at £360. I guess there must be a market for these things as they keep churning them out, but are they a good investment? I will agree with anyone who says they are more fun than money sat in a savings account, growing at less than the rate of inflation.

Emiel likes this.
  13. TooCooL4

Would that be the collaboration with Omega?
    The Omega x Swatch Planets collection, I was surprised Omega collaborated with Swatch.

14. Mister X

You had to say Swatch, man those are good looking watches

[​IMG]

15. TooCooL4

There was a big queue for them when they were released, people queued and they did not know if the store they were at had the one they wanted in-store. So it was pot luck as to what they got. :thinking:

16. Longman

They have actually been part of the same company since 1985.
    https://zealande.com/blogs/we-talk-about-watch-models/who-owns-omega-watches

In fact it is surprising how many famous brands are all part of the same company (called Swatch)

Mister X likes this.
  17. Mister X

I might have to make a trek over to Mall of America, I wasn't sure that store was still there. It doesn't tell if they actually have them in stock but there is a chance.

I had no idea about Swatch, very interesting and it's similar to Luxottica which is now pushing the formerly "premium" brands like Ray Ban in every store here now.
    https://www.essilorluxottica.com/en/brands/eyewear/

18. Longman

Years ago I saw a TV programme about how Swatch saved the Swiss watch industry which was slow to adopt quartz. They asked the CEO of Swatch what he thought of Japanese watches. His surprising (to me) reply was something like "They make lovely watches but they must be very expensive to manufacture".

19. TooCooL4

Did not know that, interesting.

20. Longman

I wonder how many people know that Bentley cars are made by the same company as my wife's Skoda. I doubt if they share any parts though. That would be amusing.