1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BASF Reference Maxima TP II

Discussion in 'Cassettes' started by natsuo, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Well, many subscription models allow you to save/store songs for unlimited playback (until you cancel the subscription, of course).
    The only advantage of physical format is, 1) for people who want to support artists, 2) for people who have vintage equipment because they are hobbyists or because they think it sounds better

2. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

@Reli I mostly agree with you, but would like to add some points.
    Subscription models do indeed allow you to save/store songs for ulimited playback, however there's a catch: those songs are stored encrypted (DRM protection) and can only be played through the service's dedicated app.
    This has the potential problem of resiliency: you just don't have any control on when that song/album will disappear from the platform.
    Even if you have the DRM-protected files downloaded, migrating them to a new version of the app, a new phone, a new PC is something that may or may not work.

What I try to say by this is having the files downloaded is no different than streaming them: when they will no longer be available on the server, you won't be able to play them, even with an active subscription.
    Storing them has only one advantage: being able to listen when you have no internet connection (like in a plane, but even those are starting to have WiFi).

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
  3. CDV

CDV Well-Known Member

Digital allowed returning to basics, from colorful packaging to music itself.
    If you consider a downloaded non-DRM file physical, then I am on the same page. ;)

4. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

In regard to non-DRM files being physical, in my opinion these are much closer to the physical experience, since they can be played on a DAP (or any other device) without needing a connection to a remote server.
    So I can argue that it is physical since you own it (even on a flash memory or HDD since you can touch those devices). The other type, which is only accesed is more elusive and much less tangible.
    Of course on the other hand, I can argue it's not physical since you can't see anything rotating (like reels on a cassette), but then even in something like MD you won't see the disc spinning (and even in most CD players).