1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beer and Boomboxes!

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Dec 23, 2017.

1. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

....oooh, sir, the quality of that car goes with the quality of the box and the beer - hopefully your job on the car (incl. remounting brakes) were better quality, espacially after the DUVEL, we do need you here :groupwave

2. autoreverser

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    Jorge, Papa and Mister X like this.
  3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I don't know what's cleaner...the box, the floor or the car?

4. autoreverser

...ok folks, i found the austrian "MINERVA MKM-10" derivate to my german "GRUNDIG MRR-10" microcassette boombox.
    both were manufactured roundabout 1982 in Nuernberg, Bavaria.

you'll agree with me, that i had to salute them with a Tucher Lager from Nuernberg :drinks

(...please apologize the non-authentic Sony-microcassette...)

grundig.jpg

Jorge, Mister X and Mystic Traveller like this.
  5. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Nice aKa, never heard of this brand. :)

6. Mister X

Very nice, I love the different speaker grills.

7. autoreverser

good old AgentOrange does own the stereo-type of the Minerva (...i got somewhere the stereo Grundig)

Mister X and Mystic Traveller like this.
  8. Mister X

He doesn't pop in as much these days, he said he was selling off his stuff years ago but I have to believe he'd keep a cool rarity like that. I think Walkgirl has one as well, she was an early microcassette poster.

9. autoreverser

i know AO still got his, i gave it to him once when we went for some booze in Vienna...

my both units aren‘t working and seem to have the same power-up problem but are extremely easy re-beltable.
    i would trade each for a Cloneman, the stereo-Grundig for a very nice Cloneman :ok

Mister X likes this.
  10. autoreverser

ok, no box today, spinning reels today with a nice brew:

B7A520CE-378A-4EC2-B94B-7E45DB527C97.jpeg

11. Mister X

So I was on vacation but I forgot to put my beer in the photo, oh well, the water was nice and the sunny days were close to 90 F, perfect for swimming and frolicing on the beach and I was the guy that brought music, just like the old days when just about everyone had a box on the beach.

DSC_0956sm.jpg

Jorge, Mystic Traveller, Papa and 2 others like this.
  12. autoreverser

ha, that‘s just „beach and boomboxes“ - great pic, just a few chicks missin‘ :smileycool:

Mister X likes this.
  13. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

Here now I'm back boy :breakdance::thumbsup:

Mister X likes this.
  14. Mister X

I just worked two weeks of hard labor, feeling a little better now that I've crack my Surly Special Edition "13" Maple Barrel Aged Imperial Stout. Boom, this stuff is potent, I think it clocks in at over 12.5% and was a limited release on Friday the 13th but I bought it months ago so I don't know which one. I think I also paid $12.99 USD for it completing the 13 circle. Oh well, since I don't have any boomboxes with 666 on them, I'll post it with an 888'r, yep, the Centrex RK-888. Centrex was Pioneer's Boombox line before they went with Pioneer Branding. Similar to Marantz's "Superscope" Branding, I think this was done because component audio guys did not like portable audio at all and these units would have brought done hifi audio in their eyes.

The Centrex RK-888 is a beast, I'm pretty sure it was their top-of-the-line for the year it was put out, around 1977. The buttons, dials and sliders all move with precision, maybe the guys in the SPEC Department helped out with design and engineering. This has become one of my favorites, it's really good looking and has that 70's heavy build going, check out the pull out antenna on the back right, I love those and this extends all the way to the ceiling. This model also has a memory feature, I need to clean and tune it up so I don't exactly know what that does but I'm sure it's special, maybe the first on a boomer. It needs a good detail job but I think it will look really nice when I'm done, the photos don't do it justice, these are pretty big.

Centrex RK 868.jpg

Jorge, A O, Papa and 1 other person like this.
  15. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Sharp.jpg

My first on-site boombox restoration since 2018: Sharp GF-3700. A present from @Longman, now fully restored, new belts, and with some extra 'beautification': red acoustic cloth behind the grille and a cutie tip for the broken antenna :)

Celebrating first rebuild success at our construction site, Airstream is where all my previous reports for this fine B&B thread were coming from ;)

16. Mister X

Very nice Jorge, your journey has been long and difficult but you seem to be making the most of it. The box looks great! After a hard day it's probably pretty relaxing to kick back with some music and suds and check out the progress. If you have any construction questions you can PM me, I'm not great but I tend to see the issues that should have been dealt with during the construction phase. Garagejournal.com is also a good source if you see something questionable, plus the mid-century moto makeover thread has an Airstream that has been inveloped in his "mission creep." The thread OP is a professional photographer and the trip photos in the Airstream are drool-worthy.

Jorge likes this.
  17. Mister X

I hit the beach again! It's a 10 hour drive but I love the clean water of Lake Huron. Part of my packing ritual now is what box should I bring although the ION Jobrocker still cranks at most functions. This time I'm enjoying some Straub's Hop Blaster IPA! with a Sony CFM-33 Mono Boombox. Straubs is over 146 years old, making it one of the oldest in the US, it's hard to see the little can next to my box.

DSCN0402sm.jpg

Jorge, Papa and Mystic Traveller like this.
  18. Mister X

We just landed a super-cold vortex, temps dropped into the 40's F and it may snow tonight. I was itching for some Belgium Brews to warm me up but was luckily greeted with of my personal favorites, pumpkin beer! Tonight's special is Dogfish Head Punkin Ale and it's going down good as I work on some of my equipment. My newest arrival is the awe-inspiring AIWA TPR-910H from 1977 and it's not surprising how nice this little guy is. Just a hair bigger than a mini-boomer, but still slightly smaller than it's big brother the TPR-910, I think they were the only two AIWA Stereo Models for that year. I've added a 1976 AIWA CM-1016 Microphone that might have been used for some late night recordings.

DSC_1068sm3.jpg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    Jorge, Papa and autoreverser like this.
  19. autoreverser

wow, what a nice box !

may you share the caraoke- recording you made with that microphone ?

anyway, cheers, mate, wish i was there :cheers:

Jorge and Mister X like this.
  20. autoreverser

my first ever boombox ages ago was a very similar SANWA 7050A, could even have been an aka (...and iwas drinking juice in those days...)

Jorge and Mister X like this.