1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beer and Boomboxes!

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Lord Hobo Boombox Sampler, available now!

Boombox Sampler Lord Hobo.png

2. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

jesus christ mr x i thought for a moment you posted lord homo boombox lol... yep i know I'm blind....needless to say i wont be buying one of those lol

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    Mister X likes this.
  3. Mister X

You still have to suck on the bottle for the good stuff (boomsauce), I wonder if people find "hobo" offensive these days?

I can't help but stare at that crappy box, LED VU, Analog VU, three eqs? Somebody messed up bad on that design.

4. Mister X

Back in the saddle with the Hitachi TRK-8100H! Sure it looks like a little runt but this is a pretty nice midi boombox. I keep checking the battery compartment to see if I left batteries in it because it's so heavy. This model is only AM/FM but the tuner is very sensitive and picks up stations really good. For a USA release it even has a MIC mixing input, kinda rare around here. I could see this design blown up 2x this size and still look great but this might be the best looking midi boombox with traditional styling. Sound-wise it would be nice at the beach or a camp fire but not hifi sonics.

Oh yea, it goes great with Brass Foundry, I'm slurping on a Question 63 IPA, fresh off of flooding the outdoor ice rink.

DSC_1973sm.jpg

Jorge likes this.
  5. Radio Raheem

i think out of all boxes i dislike hitachi the most lol

but one thing is for sure they are not overrated like some jvc bro

Mister X likes this.
  6. Mister X

This is a classic box with all the right stuff but yep, it kind of sounds like muffled towel paper. It is unmolested after 40+ years but I'm not impressed with the sonics.

What about the big Perdisco's?

Radio Raheem likes this.
  7. Radio Raheem

i think the best bang for the buck would be some of the hitchi 3ds but they are so cheaply made unlike the 70s ones

the perdisco is just a glorified 8600 and are not great by all accounts///i will not be finding out lol

they say the m70 is better sounding but i will not tolerate another one in any shape or form lol

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
    Mister X likes this.
  8. Mister X

Just picked up this gem locally, the Sharp RD-688AV, one of the coolest boomboxes ever made! But wait you say, no radio? no antennas? no battery tray? Who cares, it still cranks pretty loud and is super heavy, I have to believe it's pushing 10 watts a channel. Kind of a forerunner to today's bluetooth speakers, it has both AUX and Phone in. We got lot's of snow this week, I'll be throwing the Tripel Karmeliet in the snow bank for a fast chill tonight.

DSC_1978sm.jpg

nickeccles, Jorge, Silver965 and 4 others like this.
  9. Radio Raheem

just get a dab walkman its official mr x fm is shit lol

will post my extended wall when i find my bits

Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
    Mister X likes this.
  10. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

How many variations of the GF555 did Sharp make? I'm on my second GF555 and have seen quite a few variations but yours is the first one I have seen in black. Watch the silver trim around the APLD buttons. On about half the eBay listings it had fallen off.

p.s. I didn't notice the missing radio. That is another difference from the GF555.
    Here is my first one, which I sold, only to find another "collect only" at a price I couldn'r resist about a year later.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
  11. Mister X

I think I found at least three versions of this boombox?

Radio, we don't have DAB over here, we still have AM/FM and I listen to both all of the time. For some reason I have a hard time listening to solid streaming music and like a little break every few songs. We have one station 89.3 (The Current, they livestream) that sounds like it's from the 80's with real DJs, talking, interviews, upcoming shows, etc. I miss the pre-Clear Channel days when bands would get interviewed at 4 pm and then head to the concert venue for the big show.

Silver965, Longman and Radio Raheem like this.
  12. Radio Raheem

hey Mr x congrats on you're new box btw always better to see other boxes than my own my friend.....that is quite a shock lad no dab in america just wow....im using it through a personal stereo plugged into any box i like....solves any dead tuner issues lad

anyway at the moment i am using my big silver with its original speakers on instead of the new ones that were supplied with it.....it is a bit louder than it was and not as heavy now but i confess lad i am still strugglingg to bond with her lol

wish i had my camera lead lad i picked up 2 rx cw 55 one of which was boxed,,,,i am sure the box its self is fake though because i have never seen a cardboard 30 year old box in this condition before... yup given the game away lads i now have 8 of those afd boxes...the wall is now complete

Mister X likes this.
  13. Mister X

Our HD FM might be like your DAB, it piggy-backs off of the FM Station and depending on how many feeds, the quality gets worse, so most are one or two extra stations but they can go more. I finally got a car with an HD reciever, first time I've listened to it because they don't make it easy to get the proper recievers. With streaming internet I think most people kind of forgot about HD and they just use their phone in the car or subscribe to Sirius.

I had a great year with the boomers, found some very nice rare models, I'll keep posting!

Radio Raheem likes this.
  14. Radio Raheem

dab is something i know nothing about my friend but there are about 30 channels over here my faves being a dedicated 70's 80's channels and there are a few more
    it has all the fm channels but way more also my walkman can pick up standard fm if i want lad

cant wait to see youre new boxes.....i have so many myself now i am back to where i was a few years ago bud
    DSCN3213.JPG

here is my wall as promised forget food when i go in my kitchen lol...i may start a new thread about boxed boxes lad not sure though as you and longman seem to be the only gentlemen posting these days

Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
    Jorge, Silver965, Longman and 2 others like this.
  15. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

that‘s a great beer going with a great box :drinks

Mister X and Radio Raheem like this.
  16. Radio Raheem

panasonic dt9 panasonics best sounding egg made////

has bass like a kaboom and line in on dab radio 80s

Mister X likes this.
  17. Mister X

I'm starting to see more of those 90's Panasonics going up for sale but there must be some collector market because they're getting decent money for them.

Radio Raheem likes this.
  18. Radio Raheem

not everyone is into eggs lad but some of them oblitorate 80s boomboxes its a shame really

Mister X likes this.
  19. Mister X

I never see the good ones, maybe people are still using them, I used to see a ton of crappy ones for the 90's but even those aren't around as much these days.

Radio Raheem likes this.
  20. Radio Raheem

yep there are are a whole bunch of crappy ones lol you need to know what is what lad///bought quite a few crappy ones myself and promptly gave them away lol