1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beer and Boomboxes!

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Anybody else enjoying some suds out there? Urban Growler popped up on the scene a few short years ago, this Vanalla Latte Blonde Ale really hits the spot and was one of my goto drinks but I haven't seen it around for the last few weeks.... I don't like sweet beers, just give me a hint of added flavor and this works it perfectly. I do have a sweet spot for the 70's elbow busters including this MacDonald CTPR-2200A, while medium size, it takes some muscle to lift, I'm sure there's a lot of metal parts inside as well as the metal exterior cosmetic pieces. The antenna is my favorite style that retracts into the body and the handle has detents, I love that mechanical click!

This one is slightly different than the one on wikiboombox, the "STEREO" plaque on the front looks like a Vegas Sign and there are other different small printing changes. Without popping either open, I'd consider this an AKA General Electric 3-5256A and the Emerson CTR- 950, but there's some interesting major differences, overall the layout is identical.

DSC_2210sm.jpg

2. Mister X

Steel and Oak have paired with Boombox Brewing to come up with this brew....

boombox.jpg

3. Mister X

Roof-Hound Garage Band Hazy IPA

Roof Hound.png

4. Mister X

Wild Rose Citrus Howl

Wild Rose Citrus Howl.png

5. Mister X

Even Red Stripe?

Red Stripe.png

6. Mister X

Full Circle Brewery

Full Circle.png

7. Mister X

Noon Whistle clocking in at 12.2%, I bet this has a kick!

noon whistle.png

and Kay Boom

Kay Boom.png

8. Mister X

Boombox Banger

Boombox Banger.png

9. Mister X

3 Sons Brewing

boombox 1.png

10. Mister X

Froth Brewing, Boombox #1

froth.png

11. Mister X

Miller Lite had special flags made for a promotion in 2016, post on the mega-deals if you see one of these for sale!

Headphones.jpg
    Boombox 2.jpg

12. Mister X

Today's treat is a real gem, both beer and boombox, the beer is Southern Tier French Toast Imperial Ale and the boombox is the legendary GoldStar TSR-951. I love my three-piecers, I think I've been cornering the market but they made some gems with outstanding sound. Some of these were priced more than a three unit stereo with turntable, if not double.

As others have stated, this thing is huge! Just about 30" wide and it needs a lot of room. It has cool features like the LED VU's, a lit up tuning dial needle and the green light to the right flashes red on either side to help tune in the stations. The overall design is very nice and the rounded top and bottom look great on this, sometimes that can be very difficult to pull off.

This has one of the better tuning sections and is really pulling in a lot of stations, I'm going to go out on a limb, it might be my best! but the antenna does need to go out over 1/2 way to get FM stereo to light up. It's a partly cloudy/sunny day so there's no help from the weather but it's getting stations even my component stereo struggles with. The sound coming from the other room is really impressive even from the radio, maybe I'll hook up a TT and see if it shines even more.

It has ASAP which I'm assuming is a tape song finding function but I don't know, the tape deck still works but the sound is dull and the heads look like they've been collecting dust.

As far as I'm concerned, Southern Tier's Offerings are always good but this one sat for a long time and I grabbed it on sale (which is very rare). Now I'm bumming because it's really tasty! There's just a hint of flavor and it mixes perfectly with the imperial ale, unfortunately I'll probably never see it again up here. Grab it if you see it, one is enough for a nice night time treat.

DSC_2219sm.jpg

13. Mister X

Radio, did you ever play around with one of these? I'm happily surprised with the sound quality.......

Radio Raheem likes this.
  14. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

Deck Repair & Restore - October 2018 (5).jpg Goldstar TSR-950 Compo System - August 2018 (4).jpg Goldstar TSR-950 Compo System - August 2018 (26).jpg
    I had one!! Terrible design aspect to the whole machine but plenty of goodies too! Soft touch dolby cassette deck manual level altho a bit weird as it adjusts to output to the amp in rec mode... :thinking:

Plenty of good features & big speakers too! Amp is underpowered tho & I don't miss mine!! :noway:

Looking inside you would expect there to be a much more powerful amplifier section but it's only just average!

Cassette mech is quite a good one with lots of pressed steel instaed of plastic too!

Radio Raheem and Mister X like this.
  15. Mister X

I have mine in another room, sometimes it's a good way to judge how loud a box gets when you get further away. For a room or basement, it gets pretty loud and clear.

Radio Raheem likes this.
  16. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

sorry i missed you're post mr x......never had one but she looks great my man.....seen plenty in Germany and came close to buying one many times....now i think something like that would be to big for an old fart like me like those silvers i had....far to big lad lol....i would say the same about the silvers my man far to underpowered for the size of them and if you were not very carful the speakers kept falling off....i hate shit like that man

Last edited: Aug 19, 2023
    Mister X likes this.
  17. Mister X

I moved it and was listening more today, even though it's a very deep box I don't think the speakers have much excursion, wikiboombox mentions this. I have a feeling the weight was an issue, it has removable speakers with nice metal plates/pins but any more weight and it would have been hard to move around easily.

18. Radio Raheem

I hear you. honestly i struggle to lift the m90 everything standard lad....that's one reason i let the other go....but i will keep this one as it's the only 1 piece i have left....the rimmer empire has long since fallen lol ohh i found litfans ol sony f40 but i doubt i could lift it now

Last edited: Aug 19, 2023
    Mister X likes this.
  19. Mister X

You guys need to have a beer and boombox European Edition at one of the local pubs and bring out your last stuff. I was almost going over there but it got canned last week.

20. Radio Raheem

i aint been out the house since before the virus lad i think you can guess why

that reminds me even took boomboxes to pubs years ago. great times....last box i went out with was a mint aiwa 880 about 12 years ago. boy it was a struggle getting it home half gutted lol

Mister X likes this.