1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beer and Boomboxes!

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I just read an article on how Nutella wasn't the same in the old Eastern Bloc, they "watered" it down before shipping it. I like some of the old school German and outlying beers but sometimes when the get here they get a little skunky. Local beers are ok but I get sick of them and like to move on. Tap beers have always been my favorite but with my collecting hobby I can't go out as much as I would like, time to crank up the Clash, good thing I have a Marantz PMS 6000 to have a little fun!

2. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

page from a b-day present from my daughter-in-law :bigthumbsup:

IMG_0973.jpg

Radio Raheem and Boodokhan like this.
  3. Risingsunproject

Risingsunproject Active Member

Playing this summer a lot!

4. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Well, That was the idea of my boss!!! to place the capped bear in the picture to look good

5. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Its a Corona. It is originally Mexican brand but sells a lot in California.
    anyway, I agree with you i think i missed the spirit of the thread, i will take another picture with another boombox later.

6. Mister X

I was just being facetious Boodokan about the spirit of the thread, I'm kind of bumming nobody noticed my Marantz PMS-6000, maybe everyone is just looking at the beers. And I have had several Corona's, I've just never seen Premier, I was enjoying Corona Light at the beach over the long weekend, it went down really good.

Boodokhan likes this.
  7. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Beer snobs typically laugh at lagers, but Spaten is a very good one

Jorge, Boodokhan and Mister X like this.
  8. Mister X

Great video Reli, that box sounds great even over YouTube. When it's this hot the lagers taste great and don't feel like a brick in your stomach when your done.

9. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Slick Marantz, those are hard to come by. How does it sound?

10. Mister X

Reli, the Marantz PMS-6000 sounds great but like most Marantz Units it is a little under-powered, the radio is slightly more loud than the record player. Underpowered might be misleading, it can project fairly well and I can hear it across the yard, it's just not as loud as some boxes. The sacrifice in sound is made up in clarity, there's little to no distortion at high volume. The sound is Marantz Tight, everything sounds crisp and clean without being tinny and just enough bass to be acceptable but short of today's standard. I took Weltron, Clairtone Braun's Advice and really started searching more around the area and found it on our local CL. It's only one of a handful I've seen up for sale over the last 10 years since ARKAY started talking about finding Universal Branded Units in Hong Kong.

Stay tuned, I have a few more rarities showing up in a couple weeks.

11. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Yeah that sounds like a Marantz. They didn't use crap components or use overly boomy woofers that can't produce clear mids.

Jorge and Mister X like this.
  12. HvO1970

HvO1970 New Member

Our local beer (cheap but tasty...)

DSC01199.JPG

And one big tree antenna :)

DSC01191.JPG

nickeccles, Jorge and Mister X like this.
  13. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Today is Friday, when all Pastafarians rejoice!! And it is the Friday The 13th!!!
    I am blasting my Sencor S-4800, NVN Nation and improve the SQ with a few pints of Boddington Pub Ale...
    Next Friday, if Gods of Resto allow, I shall be able to post one weird National bbox next to my fav Spaten lager!!!

Mister X likes this.
  14. Mister X

Greetings to the West Coast from the Midwest! The air is so humid I can taste last weeks beer, or maybe that's the 1000's of mosquitos in the air. Adventure was in full swing last week and I took my 1986 conversion van out for a road trip to Michigan with the family. 100 degree weather and tons of beaches and beer including a really nice wheat honey ale from Cheboygan Brewing Company, a new upstart in a tiny town. I'd say Blue Moon with gratuitous amounts of orange mixed in but much better and not so heavy, I grabbed a bunch and ran them back over the county lines. A cool beer like this deserves an oldie but goodie and frankly I had forgot I owned. The Toshiba RT-SF5. Just a little guy but really cute and tastefully laid out. This one is heavy but takes the figure 8 cord and I only have one and it's a pain to find so no lights to show everyone.

It was behind a few monster boxes and I've been building cabinets in my shop so it's a little dusty and missing a button and antenna but otherwise it's a really beefy box, very heavy even without batteries. There's RCA inputs and two mic inputs on the top! It's so small though it's almost like a big walkman but this is a true gem.

DSCN0860sm.jpg

Radio Raheem, nickeccles and Jorge like this.
  15. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

The box behind it looks more interesting. Another turntable equipped boombox ?.
    At first I was think Amstrad or an AKA but theirs had oval spekers. From the writing I can see I'm guessing Marantz.

Mister X likes this.
  16. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

The Amstrad was a cool looking box, but it's just an imitation of the Marantz, with much lower quality.

17. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Brilliant little Tosh, one of my favorite minis as it has everything...

nickeccles likes this.
  18. Mister X

Now I'm kicking myself, I completely missed "Boombox II" at our local brewery a couple months ago. I would have loved walking in with a big fat Marantz or JVC Boombox. I'll have to call these guys and find out the date for the next one, it would be great to have a S2G, for the first (in a very long time) Midwest Boombox/Walkman/Watchman Spectacular at this place!
    http://millcitytimes.com/mill-city-...urday-boom-box-ii-at-boom-island-brewing.html

BoomBoxbbIIPoster_LO_REZ.jpg

Jorge likes this.
  19. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

image.jpg Gods of resto were kind to me! What started as just another "day in Paradise": 6am LA traffic, slightly unbearable job, and a brush with The Boss,... got uplifted to Pastafarian's Friday!!! Sorry, no Spaten today, Irish Milk is my poison for now... Resto photos to follow, but for now I am amazed at the clarity and resolution of this tiny Beast!!! NVNation on Chrome cassette is not my usual fix of Bruckner thru big-rig all-Naim/Linn stereo but as the Milk gets consumed I shall downgrade even further onto Eruption recorded off LP to Type-I...
    Happy Friday, my friends!!! And let your God smile at you :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    nickeccles, Boodokhan and Mister X like this.
  20. Mister X

Wow, what a great looking box! I've never seen that one before. It's nice to see some oddballs coming out of the woodwork, hopefully I'll have some rare ones to show soon.