1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beer and Boomboxes!

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Dec 23, 2017.

1. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

...well, is this stereo now ? :crazy

2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

It's only stereo if it's being broadcast in mono.....

3. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Plating non-conductive plastics has an ugly step of graphite layer which f-€£¥s up the surface, and vacuum plating is outside the home-brew detailing. I used Engine Enamel siphoned from the stupid spray-can and airbrushed onto hazed chrome: stunning result!! Tinting the windows is more trying, but once done I will post my tribulations here: I have to figure this out for my jets modelling hobby; and its better to experiment on boombox than a model you've been building for months...

Anyhoo, this is me tonight: your devout Pastafarian's Friday, winding down after a Hard Day's Night :)
    image.jpg
    Telegraph Road is blasting now...

Mister X likes this.
  4. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

image.jpg
    Dudes, this is Halloween, as in Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury!!! My Boss got tired/sick (if anyone should ever figure the ladies, that would be French, but so far they did not give us chumps any usable clues!) so we did not go to "Ocean 8" Beverly Hills party... I do the best I can under the circumstances (my imagination is very predictable): Fields of Nephilim blasting thru my latest resto-baby: RX-5500, local Ale with an appropriate label gets consumed...
    Happy Halloween to all the Dudes (and @Michelle Knight) out Here!!! :)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Mister X and Michelle Knight like this.
  5. Mister X

Happy Halloween! I've been checking out our meager selection of Pumpkin Beers and found this happy surprise at Trader Joe's. For our European Friends, Trader Joe's is like Aldi, but we already have Aldi so they called it Trader Joe's. ( I think you have Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud). Anyway, with the very limited pickings I did get to check this out and was happy to find it was made by Shipyard who make my favorite Pumpkin Beers. Shipyard Pumpkinhead didn't do too well up here and I haven't found any this year, or for that matter any good pumpkin beers. The KBC Pumpkin is pretty good and you can have quite a few while wiggling those little belts into place. Tonight I'm listening to my Sharp WQ-T212 Twin Mechanism Double Cassette Deck. This model is so cool and still can be found for very reasonable pricing. It has a quesi-military look but it pretty robust and not cheap with a really cool side by side cassette tray, yep two cassettes in the same door. Not only can you play two cassettes but you can also dub, mine's a little dirty and will get the full treatment when I rebelt it. If your looking for one, try to make sure it has the very long and kind of rare plastic strap which compliments it nicely, along with the side vents for intense boombox playing.

DSCN2725sm.jpg

autoreverser and Jorge like this.
  6. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@Mister X You Dog! You r reading my mind!!! I am getting one of these for myself: they are not cheap but oh soo cool!!! Please post more photos once (if ever?!) done consuming the Good Stuff!!!

Mister X likes this.
  7. autoreverser

i LOVE that Sharp !!!

Mister X likes this.
  8. autoreverser

...some great "martial-arts-beer" in between some of my mini's:
    IMG_3707.jpg IMG_3706.jpg

Mister X likes this.
  9. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

I have something like this,logic controlled you wouldn't expect it but it takes 10 c batteries:wink2

Mister X likes this.
  10. Mister X

I was surprised to see a few different versions out there, unfortunately they haven't had many posts on the site. Post a photo if you can Radio Raheem, they're really neat boxes, a little cheesy but not cheap.

11. Mister X

Beer and Boom Boxes!

beer-boombox-1.jpg
    fffa.png
    Beer-Box.jpg
    PWD-CB1-Alpine-ICE-Camping-300-DPI-111317.jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  12. Mister X

13. Mister X

Let's kick the holiday season into full blast! I'm bumming about Jorge's Situation and I've offered to send MN's Finest. I've learned from the early days of forums that no matter where people are, that common connection or bond is real. Over the years guys have literally disappear or quit posting without any withdrawal disclosure. Several of the founding members have stopped posting or moved on but there's still a few and now there's a ton of new guys that love the technology and are starting to write about their adventures. If you leave please post so we can at least have a parting gesture, there's so many that we'll never know what happened.

I just grabbed this classic while nobody was looking, a Pioneer SK-210, a very understated box and they were practically giving it away. In the old days, I'd find a Pioneer about three times a year, now there's a handful for sale at any time. Weltron, Clairtone has a nice collection and this model always evaded me, but I lusted after it after reading his awesome thread. Mine doesn't have the strap handle but otherwise is in great condition. I think I need some DeOxit, the LEDs do work but just for a fraction of a second and they don't want to be photographed, at least tonight. I am listening to it and it sounds very firm, it's definitely a keeper even though there's no lights in the photo.

As a kid, the big three stereo guys were Pioneer, Marantz and Sansui, yes some of their boxes were kind of entry level but most of them will really surprise you, I'm trying to get their full line-up but it ain't easy.

North Coast PranQster is my fill in beer, Belgium Taste but 1/2 the cost, it's one of my go-to beers when working on the ice-rink in my front yard with sub-zero temperature, but I won't kid you, there's some empty Delirium Tremors out there as well. Tonight I'm in cuz the temps are kind of warm, and I wanted to show off my new find.

DSCN1052sm.jpg

Boodokhan likes this.
  14. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

These Sharps are so funky with the cool double cassette, i have the model with Spectrum analyser and i love it:
    20171121_194741_resized.jpg

Jorge and Mister X like this.
  15. Mister X

The holidays are almost here and it's time to bring out the bad boy of boomboxes, another arm-breaker but a gentle giant, the Technics SA-009S in beautiful black. A three piece that only wants to bring us together in perfect harmony. I'm just getting excited about heading into the holiday week with an ice-cold Tin Whiskers and some lovely Strawberry Kit-Kats, fresh from Tokyo. One of these days I'll have to have a three-piece throw down but this one is sounding great right now and my arm is hurting from moving it into rotation. I know a bunch of you are enjoying the holidays, time to post some holiday cheer with your best box!

DSCN1056sm.jpg

16. Mister X

I'll keep the soiree going, it's been a little warm here but winter's chill has returned which means I need to get some more ice on my melting rink. I've switched it up and gotten out some Redstone Meadery, Nectar of the Hops. My all time favorite mead, it goes down great while spraying the ice. Legend has it if you spray on a full moon around midnight you'll be able to deke any goalie the next day. Being around 20 degrees and outside, I take my go-to Ion Job Rocker, yes it doesn't get a lot of props but it's cranking out No Sleep Til Brooklyn on the radio no less. Nothing like a Beastie Boy Block in the early morning and just loud enough that the neighbors might hear it.

WP_20181222_00_01_28_Prosm.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    Mystic Traveller and Jorge like this.
  17. Mister X

The times sure have changed, it takes a monster snowthrower to clear the rink these days and we're expecting another 12" tonight. Just in case there's a real emergency I grabbed my Ward's Airline 1483 8-Band Portable Radio, not quite a boombox but one of the best sounding portable radios out of the 70's and a true radio monster.

For mono it really does sound good and bass is nice considering nothing has been replaced on it. I may have posted it before but it's such a nice unit, heavy and so well built I can't help but think this was pretty cool back in the 70's when you could reach more of the radio bands.

Tonight I stocked up and Dogfish Head Sea Quench Ale is hitting the spot, light and spritzy with lime juice and a hint of sea salt, perfect for high winds and lot's of snow.

I've been working on my photo quality, this one stinks and the box is crusty, just a little too late to fine tune it.

DSCN1744sm.jpg

18. Mister X

I heard Jorge might pop in this thread so I thought I'd post some inspiration. Ever since I posted a photo in the microcassette thread with this little Sanyo M-5850F, the world's smallest boombox using unicorn flakes, not rice, I've been lusting after one and a few weeks ago, got one. My Koko Brown Kona Brewing is kind of the same, I have to drive around to find it when it's in around this time of year. Walkgirl is the only other member that's posted one but it's a real gem and feels like lead when you pick it up, truly an engineering marvel and the cover is real leather, bonus!

DSCN1759sm.jpg

19. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

P1030185.jpg
    I will do my best supporting this fine thread: what is there about bboxes if there were no BEER ever invented??? Vine and Boombox: what a TRAVESTY!!! I were drifting onto here since a few weeks (or was it months?) ago but got distracted by the "dark side" of ripping CDs onto HDD... It took a while, but the problem of "bit-perfect rips" got solved. And just in case you noticed that all my previous beer'n'bboxes photos came from the outside of my home: here I were fixing some "iconic/unobtanium" Conion for my savior-slash-benefactor @Boodokhan :
    P1030186.JPG
    this Conion is the cheesiest Three-Piecer one can imagine, and it had also managed to fall apart in sooo many ways!!! Right now I am rebuilding its power supply from scratch, and since its Service Manual does not exist and its previous owner took a liberty of gutting it for parts, the progress is slooow... and I Am Not Happy!!! I have a Real Beauty, a contender to RC-550 waiting to be re-belted and re-capped!!!

But...

that is why God invented BEER!!! :)

20. Mister X

It's official, the beer and boombox thread has been the inspiration for several beer ad campaigns!

201987__39396.1523939166.jpg
    https _cdn.evbuc.com_images_5.jpg
    12pk12ozCans-3.jpg
    dreamstime_xl_57019287-001-622x311.jpg
    hiphoppuree.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2016-01-19-at-2.20.21-PM.png
    cccczxcz.jpg

Attached Files:

Mystic Traveller likes this.