Beer and Boomboxes!

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Beer and Boomboxes are everywhere but I'd thought I'd share this little guy, it's been on the shelf neglected for a long time, a Pioneer SK-11 that I grabbed when they were pretty cheap. I've never been disappointed by any Pioneer Equipment and their entry-level box was a no-brainer when I saw it. My photo is crappy with the flash on but I don't have time to re-do it and the Iron Giant is flexing his steel. Tonight's pairing is Tin Whisker's Salted Nut Roll and some late night FM signals. The Nut Roll is really good, just a hint of candy bar mashed with ale. Not sweet but not ale-boring either, just right for some music.

The Pioneer Boombox on the other hand is outstanding, a real station grabber, even without an antenna it's impressive. Overall it looks like a bare-bones low end unit but this thing is heavy and a lot better looking then it's counterparts. The FM tuner is amazing, look at the meter grabbing that signal, not a lot of other boxes can compare. I don't have a lot of Pioneer Boomboxes but they really didn't mess around, even this BOTL is pretty nice.

DSCN2835sm.jpg

ianthepostie likes this.
  2. Mister X

I got out for the weekend and was lucky to hit some sunny weather. The water was warm enough for about 20 seconds but I have a feeling it will be a lot warmer this summer. This old Panasonic RX did great beach duty, I think it's been sitting for 10-15 years but she fired right up and was pulling in the local stations great. You get a million stations off the lake and one seemed to be from San Diego, unless they were rebroadcasting it here. I can get Chicago in and sometimes NYC but it has to be storm weather. The beer is a local from Bent Brewstillery, American Guardian, a nice lighter brew just right for swimming in frigid water.

DSCN1826sm.jpg

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    Longman, Jorge and Mystic Traveller like this.
  3. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Those Pannies are real work horses, simple & reliable, love'em. :)

I have this RX-5080 National JDM one tucked away for years, was going to sell it
    but a bit hesitant.

[​IMG]

Mister X and Jorge like this.
  4. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

I also love my Panny! The only survivor of my collection, he kept me in touch with the "outer world" when cell phones and power went out during that awful Woolsey fire. Now I keep him next to me in my Lab:
    IMG_0196sm.jpg

5. Mister X

Thanks! They are really good kicking around boxes, I'm not too worried about getting them out and having fun. I finally broke down and got Eneloop Batteries and have been taking them out more. I was also in a good mood to see all of the new members signing up!

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  6. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

That lovely picture is more like a Panasonic advert you would see in a 1980s magazine.

Mister X and Mystic Traveller like this.
  7. Mister X

Thanks Longman, being from the great state of Michigan, you could be anywhere in the state and still two hours from a major beach. I remember hanging out on the beaches when at least half of the crowd had a boombox, most of the others had Walkmans. The beaches are gems, super clean water and very sandy beaches, there's not a lot like it.

8. Mystic Traveller

Did you take this photo on the lake Superior?
    This scenery reminds me of my favourite Ladoga lake, the biggest one in Europe.

Mister X likes this.
  9. Mister X

No Mystic Traveller, it's Northern Lake Huron. Most of Huron is rocky shore, the Canadians have the sand side but where I was is a bay that is all nice sandy beaches. The water level is extremely high right now and we've lost about 25' of sand but the lakes have been going up and down forever.

10. Mystic Traveller

Love Big Water! :)

Mister X likes this.
  11. Mister X

Next time your over here let me know, I was cranking the BBX with zero complaints and there's a lot to see!

12. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

...i hope this counts in a way: just testing my new shellac-setup with a good brew

it‘s one of my good old Thorens124/II with a Shure mono pickup (65u) on a mini preamp Uher VG840, poweramp Uher Z141, a pair of Canton Plus S, my new TC-D5M and a Grado SR125

shellacs rock !

2F0B44B3-F29A-4155-BCCC-1EDCC508F772.jpeg

Mystic Traveller and Mister X like this.
  13. Mister X

Thanks for posting autoreverser, I love those mashed together set ups, sometimes I find some great sounding equipment mixes messing around with my smaller equipment. That Thorens is beautiful, I still don't have a TT set up due to small hands that need to check out everything but my old Sansui is ready for duty and my records are ready to come out of storage.

14. Mister X

ahh, just hanging around with not a lot to do, pretty rare for Mister x and pretty much just tonight. I had to go big early with Chicago's Pipeworks SMORE PROBLEMS, a dark strong brew with a hint of chocolate and marshmellows. I was dreaming of cool turntables after seeing autoreversers and thinking of some albums I think I own while cranking up my little ittie bittie Sanyo M5350K. Truly amazing how this mini can be so cool, multi-band with the ultra rare digital clock display! I don't have the display battery yet but it say buzzer as one of the settings and it doesn't say clock it says "timer".

This little guy is heavy, it had to be one of their better models with tuning and fine tuning and a tape counter. All of the buttons and knobs have a very nice feel to them, even the mechanical tape controls move with precision, not cheap or clunky but very purposeful. I got this on a hunch but it's the real deal, I wish I knew more about it's history, these little guys were the last thing we wanted as kids but the build quality is top notch, I'm pretty sure it was owned by an A-list model, used during photos shoots, but I have no way to verify that. T-ster kind of got me going on the small Sanyos when I first got one of the smaller mono boxes, so this toast goes out to him.

DSCN2840sm.jpg

15. Mystic Traveller

Gulliver in the land of lilliput.. :)

Mister X likes this.
  16. Mister X

17. Mister X

If your in the area, San Diego is having a beer and boombox meet! I'd love a West Coast Beer right about now.....

bbs.jpg

18. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

Wrong continent for me as usual lol

Mister X likes this.
  19. Mister X

I'm always surprised these guys don't get on the forums more, it looks like it could be a fun time. Maybe we can get them to post some photos of the event.

20. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

2B3CBF22-48BE-4156-A1EB-CD2C6DF2CFEE.jpeg
    I am back at my fav “beer’n’boomboxes” site: a painful sight in front of me but my Panny survived the fire and playing my only survived cassette The Flaming Lips...
    And the Beer: it is my fav Sierra Nevada
    I must record some Bee Gees and Yello onto cassettes!!!!!!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    nickeccles, Mister X and Radio Raheem like this.