1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boombox Archealogy

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I've got some the Sony CD Design Manual around here somewhere if anybody's interested, I think it was on archive.org. I've run across a million articles but don't have time to read them all so I can't help with timelines. I do know that we didn't have instant communication back then so any press releases were either mailed out, presented at large electronics trade shows like Chicago or Toyko or personally by salesmen. There's no way to confirm a hard date, you'd have to give a few months.

Just look at the Sony TPS-L2, within six months of release there were a million copies on the market.

2. Mister X

Pioneer Centrex SK-6 and SK-7 from 1980, this seems a little late for the Centrex's I thought they were a couple years earlier. From Electronics Today Australia, these are very nice solid good-lucking boxes.

Pioneer SK-6 ETI 1980-06 June pdf.png

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  3. Mister X

Hi Fi Audio Video 1985 (Polish), Philips CD-555

Philips CD-555 HIFIAudioVideo4.png

Daniela likes this.
  4. Mister X

More stuff from 1989, sorry I don't understand the language.

Radioelektronik 1989 1.png
    Radioelektronik 1989 2.png
    Radioelektronik 1989 3.png

Daniela likes this.
  5. Mister X

Some more photos, the magazine is mostly circuit board stuff, I can't find anything related to the covers.

Radioelektronik 1 1989.png
    Radioelektronik 2 1989.png
    Radioelektronik 3 1989.png

6. Mister X

What the heck is this thing? It looks like it says Philips on the front, from 1990. Where can I get that shirt? You have to love the late 80's!

Radioelektronik 1990.png

7. Mister X

8. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips_moving_sound_aw719200s.html
    I would guess that the shirt was a one off for the advert.
    From the Roller onwards and throughout the 1990s Philips were desperate to capture the "Yoof" market thinking that if they started with Philips Boomboxes they would go on to buy Philips TVs, phones etc. A shame the quality wasn't up to that of the Japanese Manufacturers.
    I can't find it easily but I did see another Philips Moving Sound Boombox on "Yoof" TV programme "Live & Kicking". They didn't say if it belonged to Gordon the Gopher :music:

Mister X likes this.
  9. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

i had the jvc 550 bass shy but a nice box.....happy new year everyone

looks like my whole collection is sold , an end of an era for me guys

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Mister X likes this.
  10. Longman

What even the Panasonics which you have just bought ???
    It certainly will be the end of an era. What do you intend to do with the money ? It isn't as if you could go on a world cruise or similar at the moment.
    I hope everything is O.K. with you.

p.s. I have mentioned my late Father, who was a prolific toy collector a few times on this forum. A week before he died, after seven weeks in hospital he was still going through "Diecast Collector" magazine making lists of what he wanted to buy. Once a collector always a collector.

Mister X and Radio Raheem like this.
  11. Radio Raheem

Hey longman lad, i may need to go into a home not sure, i plan on buying some technics speakers though that i have wanted for 20 plus years....most need repair and it's beyond me buddy....i am basically giving the rest free with the m90's....collection is on hold at the moment but i think it's a great bargain at £2500 the lot lad but it's collection only

Mister X likes this.
  12. Longman

Sorry to hear that. I guessed something was up. Since they are your latest favourite I would keep one of the Panasonics.

My late Mother was in a home for three years. The bloke in the next room had some Tinplate Hornby trains on display which were a talking point. A shame you can't do what my Fathers pen friend did. He had two rooms in a home; one to sleep in and one for his train collection ! However, that was in Zimbabwe so I guess prices were different to in the U.K.

Radio Raheem likes this.
  13. Radio Raheem

hey i didn't realize you're 58 longman......geeez lol....im not sure if this will happen with the pandemic i think everywhere is on teir 4 at the moment, why can't we just turn into zombies lol much more fun than this shit.....if i could get 2 rooms sorted but i'll just end up in some state room on welfare lad as i have no family to speak of

14. Longman

I'm not sure how to take that LOL. In my original introduction I commented that I was born the year the Compact Cassette was invented. I was also at work when technology like the TPS-L2 and ZX81 computer came out. Just over 39 years ago I was assembling a ZX81 RAM pack on Veroboard as part of my bosses Christmas present for his kids (although I suspect it was actually for him)!

Regarding feeling old I was sorting through some paperwork and found a health insurance policy. Checking it was still valid I noticed in the small print "This policy will expire on reaching the age of 60". That made me feel old, although two of the guys at work turned 60 over Christmas. They obviously don't believe in succession planning there as in seven years time over half the department will have retired.

I haven't worked out how old you are although since you have talked about having boxes like the JVC with a turntable maybe the same.
    Regarding homes my Mother had to pay all her fees. There again she retired on a good pension when she was younger than I am. Those were the days.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  15. Radio Raheem

im 51 lad had great fun chasing boomboxes started getting them in 1983 but i have had all i want bro

i would like to start collecting speakers but the good ones i have seen start at 16 grand so that is out lol

even though im selling up i still look on ebay but there is nothing that interests me im afraid im just not interested in entry level boxes like the m70 etc, it all started for me with the akai pj33 panasonic rxc 52 and the big one the jvc dc 33l...took that to school even work some years later, those were the dass bro

16. Longman

When I was at school I was collecting valve (tube) radios that you could pick up at Jumble Sales for pennies, while a mono Radio Cassette was the sort of thing you might aspire to getting on your 21st Birthday (it was a student teacher getting one that made my Mother decide she wanted one). Kids were really lucky to have a Shoebox style recorder. For years my Sony CFS-45L Boombox was good enough for me. I was trying to work out what I was buying in 1983 and realised it (or the next) was the year I started by buying a £250 portable colour Tv, ended with buying a £340 Mitsubishi VCR, and bought a £1800 4 year old Ford Capri mid year. With new Home Computers coming out every few months, music keyboards appearing in places like Argos, and Dixons and Laskys full of the latest HiFis there were plenty of things to spend my money on without looking at Boomboxes.

p.s. I forgot CB and Ham Radio Gear. By the end of the 1980s I had about a dozen of them. Longman was my CB handle. I stillhave about half of them. I will have to fire one up on 2nd November, the 40th Anniversary of CB become legal and the first day Longman went on the air (using a rig an experienced CBer in his thirties had bought that day).

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  17. Mister X

It's a sad day when you have to give up your equipment, too bad you don't live over here Radio, I might have been able to help you out. The good news for me is there's a lot of grails and oddballs that I've never seen or touched so I still have some passion for the hobby. Plus I like to crack them open every once in a while just for the brain and dextarity exercise.

For sure keep one that sounds good, your always going to have a time where you were wishing for a radio to listen to.

Radio Raheem likes this.
  18. Mister X

Panasonic RX-E300 from 1994, Electronics Australia Magazine

Panasonic RX-E300 Electronics Australia 1994.png

19. Radio Raheem

I have one of these somewhere, nothing special but i like the style, btw i will be keeping my collection for now due to the pandemic, so all good guys

Mister X likes this.
  20. Radio Raheem

btw longman im 51 my friend, to old i know lol

Mister X likes this.