1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boombox Archealogy

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Mar 10, 2018.

1. CDV

CDV Well-Known Member

Don't know these models, but seems late 1960s early 1970s. This "flat" cassettecorder format - not a shoebox, but neither it is a top-loader deck - dominated in the U of SSR until late 1980s. I can see where the style of some Soviet models comes from. This photo is interesting because it has all the variations: tape on the right and tape on the left. Silver aluminum, or white, or black with coarse mesh grille, or faux woodgrain with parallel ridges. Then again, other brands had similar designs, like Grundig and Philips had that brown parallel ridge grill.
    sony cassette corders.jpg

2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Check out the boombox, or is it? It doesn't look it has a radio but maybe that's a dial on the top? I wonder what model that is, I don't think I've seen it before, it looks like two VU's on the diagonal face?

3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Maybe no radio. For a long time manufacturers thought people would use tape recorders to take "Sound Photographs".
    While looking for it I found this
    https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/CorporateInfo/History/sonyhistory-a.html
    which mentions a fad of recording steam locomotives in 1973. You don't need a radio for that.
    I recall LPs being issued of the same thing. At the time the idea of heritage railways was still in its infancy.

Mister X likes this.
  4. Mister X

Allright, over 100,000 views!

Here's an NEC Micro Stereo and Philips Boombox from 1981, Singapore

NEC 1981 1.png
    NEC 1981 2.png
    NEC 1981 3.png

5. Mister X

Cassette demand at new high from 1984, Singapore Biz Times

Cassette demand at new high 1984.png

6. Mister X

Some job listings from 1979 Singapore!

Sanyo Job.png JVC Job 1979.png

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  7. Mister X

JVC moving production from Singapore to South Korea 1987
    The Straits Times 6 November 1987

The Straits Times 6 November 1987 Page 38.png

8. Mister X

JVC building CD players with radio? What are these, portables, boomboxes?
    The Business Times 24 January 1989

The Business Times 24 January 1989 Page 2.png

9. Longman

Spotted in a local second hand shop this makes a change from the black eggs from the same era. Probably the same internals as a Panasonic Cobra, but while those were aimed at "yoof" I guess this was aimed at housewives and pensioners. If it had a true Aux in I would be tempted at the £35 asking price,

Pansonic RX-DS303.JPG IMG_0451.JPG

Mystic Traveller and Mister X like this.
  10. Mister X

That's a nice looking player, I bet it sounds pretty good and would make a good desk or kitchen player. Does it have a battery compartment?

11. Longman

To answer your question from six weeks ago yes it has a battery compartment.

Last week the one I showed was still sat there in the shop.

Mystic Traveller and Mister X like this.
  12. Longman

Away from all the high end GF777s and M90s these were what a teenager could realistically expect to get for Christmas in 1985.
    In places like Woolworths the Sharp GF4343 was the top of their range.
    Woolworths 85 p25.jpg Woolworths 85 p26.jpg
    There are even a couple of TVs for @Mister X
    A couple of years after this I impressed a couple of friends I was visiting by fixing one of those Fergusson TVs with minimal tools and no test equipment.
    The problem was simply tarnished pins on the back of the tube.

Mystic Traveller, LIVO and Mister X like this.
  13. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

easily the best thing in there is the commadore 64.....i feel you're pain longman your parents must have never bought you anything good lad

Mister X likes this.
  14. Longman

When this catalogue came out I was months away from buying my own house. I won't complain about the cassette recorder or calculator I got as presents in the mid 1970s. Things were big money back then. £111 in todays money for a mono cassette recorder according to the BOE inflation calculator.

15. Radio Raheem

i had an astro wars when ever that came out my friend which cost 30 but i am quite realistic lad even back then 30 was nothing and i was more than happy

saying my parents bought most well im not sure about that my dc33l was 250 and i had to work for my brother for 6 weeks to get that

i guess i knew a couple of good people with technics panasonic gear and most was bought without any paper work for 10 a week my biggest buy was my technics stack for about 1300 in the early 90s which i think cost 10 a week for about 15 months on yts

the crazy thing is bro im on ok disabled money now but the bank wouldn't give me 1 pound credit like anybody else lol

other things they bought me my spectrum48 and commadore 64 so they did buy alot for me i guess also i remember my mum bought me those big jammo gf 25 so yea i was so lucky to have them

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
  16. Longman

I think that for a long time my biggest audio purchase was my CD collection. Throughout the 90s I was buying a couple a month at about £12 each. I used to think it was cunning that in Sainsburys they only had the empty CD cases on display and you had to collect the CD from the tobacco counter. Stood in the queue you might be thinking "do I really need to spend £12 on this CD" only to see the person in front spend £25 on tobacco which will go up in smoke.
    :boogie: vs :smoke

Radio Raheem likes this.
  17. Radio Raheem

hell brother my biggest expenditure is tobacco about 150 a fortnight pure madness lad trouble with cds lad i live in such appalling conditions they dont last much more than aweek...........eg i have had no water for the last week never mind heat lol

18. Longman

I hope they sort that out for you soon. It is similar in parts of Hampshire, while the USA sounds to be far worse than anything we have had recently.

19. Radio Raheem

the water came back on today lad but havnt had hot water for about 20 years bud

20. Mister X

That Commodore would have been really cool a few years earlier, it looks like a nice package but by 85 that would have been really outdated and probably went in the clearance rack after Christmas.

I follow weather for my work, we have cold temperatures but this is normal this time of year, they make is sound like it's never happened before. I'm out enjoying it, if the wind would die down I'd have a giant bonfire while flooding the ice rink. I've been out the last three weeks until the early morning hours working on it, I usually have to go in when the cold and wet penetrate my boots and gloves.