1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bottom Fishing for CD players

Discussion in 'Discmans, Minidisc, DCC and other players' started by Longman, Jan 31, 2021.

Tags:
  1. CDV

CDV Well-Known Member

I am returning to this topic as I want to make it clear to myself, and I also want to make a half-decent video of my 1991 CD player. I haven't fully understood yet how multi-bit delta-sigma DAC works, but at least I realized that there were at least three distinct stages in consumer-grade digital audio:

* traditional multi-bit, that is, 14 or 16 bit values, each value passed as a whole during one sampling cycle;
    * 1-bit delta-sigma, although as your paper clipping clarifies, it may not be exactly 1-bit as it is (was) advertised, but in fact multiple bits, which makes it better and allows it to avoid the inherent non-linearity criticism; the authors directly say about MASH: "MASH-type multi-stage converters, using say 5-bit quantization at the first-stage, are not subject to the same criticism as the single-stage, 1-bit DSD". The article is more about hi-res audio, hence 5-bits, the clipping you show is 3.5-bits for 16-bit CD audio, so I guess it is still free from this criticism.
    * multi-bit delta-sigma, usually 5 or 6 bits, usually for hi-res like DSD.

If I correctly understand the authors of the linked article, they say that delta-sigma is good (yay), but single-stage 1-bit is bad (multi-stage 1-bit is good), and either of these is better than the old-school pre-1990s multi-bit. BTW, in other materials I found that delta ADC/DAC and then delta-sigma ADC/DAC where invented as long ago as in 1940s and 1950s, but some features were not possible until ICs were invented.

@Longman, thanks again for the magazine clipping, I VERY much appreciate it.

2. The Shocker

The Shocker New Member

Since this thread started with anti-skip technology, I thought I would ask a question in that direction. Sony's second generation anti-skip technology is called ESP2 and they claim it uses DSP and nto buffered memory to do anti-skip protection.

My googling is failing me in finding any technical information on ESP2. Does anyone know how it worked and how it affected sound quality.