1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

brand new SONY DD CENTER GEAR is coming...

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by David-ease, May 31, 2018.

1. David-ease

David-ease Member

just to make it clear again, this gear is made of POM. It is one of the best material for gears. The SONY original gear is also this material. It's flexible, but NOT soft.

2. David-ease

David-ease Member

And let me introduce myself here ,I’m a big fans of walkmans, I collect all walkmans including MD,CD,CASSETTE and DAT.
    This is some photos I took about 5 years ago about some of my MD collections.
    and now it only a small parts of all my walkman collections.
    00-ALL-01.jpg

00-ALL-02.jpg

Dawiddawid, Command8, vinchy and 4 others like this.
  3. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Your collection of MD players is bigger than my collection of Discmans! But mine is at least heavier (early Discmans are heavy beasts) ;)

It will be interesting so see a review comparison of two DD gears, maybe someone will buy both and compare? Just a thought...

Want to give a Huge Thank You!!! for your efforts: your gear saved my D-100 from a dump, once fully restored it will be a great addition to my Discmans collection :)

4. AlbySpace

AlbySpace Member

I offer myself as a beta tester as I have to restore a few dds :)

5. Analogtape

Analogtape Member

Do you intend to rebuild other replacement parts for the WM-DD models that are difficult to find, e.g. reel hub, small gear for rewind, slider for the cassette door?

6. David-ease

David-ease Member

I'm planing rebuild some rewind gear, some of them are also crack.

7. eissmann

eissmann Member

Hi David-ease I am very interested in trying your DD gear. Can you sell me one or two? I am in USA (california) and have a few wm-F5's to repair. Thanks, Andrew

8. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

@David-ease , you got a huge collection of MD players.

There were 2 other members from China ( in old forum) who had massive collection of walkmans.
    One of them had more 1000 brand new walkman in the box. his ID was "demiwang "
    He also had small ! collection of discman and this link is for @Jorge
    http://www.stereo2go.com/topic/index.php?content_oid=362570014133815779&board_oid=507821574230538908
    I hope he show up again.
    As far as i know he is the biggest collector of walkmans

The 2nd memebr ID was "kent" who has the biggest collection of brand new cassettes
    I cannot find the link to his cassette collection but this link shows his TPS-L2 collection
    http://www.stereo2go.com/topic/index.php?content_oid=534281552626216506&board_oid=193392314111653483

So
    Do you know them or are you one of them :wink: ? :iconconfused:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    vinchy likes this.
  9. David-ease

David-ease Member

I know Demiwang and Kent well, they’re both my friends. Their collection is unparalleled!

10. David-ease

David-ease Member

You can contact me by email,david-ease@outlook.com

11. Boodokhan

great. Have them to comeback to S2G . :thumbup:

12. David-ease

David-ease Member

They both feel it’s a pity that their post are all missing in the old forum. I leave them a message that S2G members are missing you guys
    and I hope they will comeback soon.

Boodokhan and Mister X like this.
  13. Boodokhan

Their post is missing temporarily. it can still be found but not easily accessible as new posts.

14. Harryl89

Harryl89 New Member

Hi, the small gears for EX50 or similar are very interesting.....some of the worst Walkman mechanics Sony built and very hard to repair...

15. mihokm

mihokm Active Member

Hi.

It's so nice design. I really like this idea. Congratulation to nice work. Now we have two versions and it would be good to compare them. I will be the first who would like to test them. I can imagine how much time you, and your friend had to spend to design them. You're lucky people because you live in China and have better access to technology. I had to pay much money for each attempt to improve something.

My gears are also made of POM material, but POM material seems to be not elastic enough to be able to insert metal ring to it. But I have never tried it and it is so nice that you did experiment with it and found good solution. Your design is very simple and silent. My design still has one advantage. It is made partially of metal, i.e gear is heavier and result is lower wow/flutter. Heavy ring runs more stable and it reduces effects of vibrations better. I could reach wow/flutter of 0.05, when measured with WFGUI program. It is value that I could never reach before. Most cassette decks do not reach this low values. I got several 'thank you' messages from other people and they could reach such low values, too. But this is also not rule, there are so many factors that influence wow/flutter, like pinch rollers, other plastic gears shrinkage, etc. Also, walkman must be in excellent condition, which is quite rare.

By the way, did you know that the lowest ever w/f value that I measured with walkman was not DD morel with this mechanics, or D6C? It was WM-DD22 where I measured w/f of 0.04 and I could get similar results with WM-DD11. Both have cheap plastic mechanics, but somehow better designed.

Marian

Boodokhan and AlbySpace like this.
  16. Boodokhan

17. David-ease

David-ease Member

18. David-ease

David-ease Member

Hi, Marian
    Thank for your reply. You're my hero:)

POM gear is elastic enough to be able to insert metal ring to it. we did lots of experiment on the gear and found the best size of the slot.
    The gear can be conveniently placed and firmly fixed.
    Our version requires accurate design. As you know, there are so many factors that need to be taken into account in the gear.
    This kind of 'buckle design' also requires a high production process.

As you said, wow/flutter is determined by a lot of factors.
    In theory, heavier gears would help with stability, but in this case, it remains to be seen whether they would help.
    Our gear is the same as the original gear, only slightly different in the size of the back cover than the original one.
    These gears have been tested in hundreds of DD walkmans and it works well.
    If you want to test it, please send me your address and you will get it for free.

Best regards
    David

19. Boodokhan

We all want to test it :lollegs::lollegs::lollegs:

Simon likes this.
  20. matic777

matic777 Member