Cool stuff for sale mega-thread.

Discussion in 'Auctions and classifieds' started by Mister X, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

2. lupogtiboy

lupogtiboy Well-Known Member

I've literally just managed to get my hands on one of these sets, a guy was selling it on the Facebook marketplace close to me for £45, came out of his s3 Lotus Esprit. He even gave me a set of OEM Pioneer Lotus speakers to go with it. All in perfect working order, its one of the coolest car radios I've ever seen. I'm planning to one day build a box to make it a kind of boombox

20200930_144053.jpg

Mister X likes this.
  3. Mister X

I love it, those old car stereos were works of art, if you have a photo of it in the car please post lupogtiboy, I love seeing oem installations. That amp had to be one of the largest at the time, I just remember the smaller flat versions.

4. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

Mister X and Longman like this.
  5. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

That is strange, considering they could have put the whole lot on a single tape. It makes you wonder if they found a few thousand unsold cassette singles and were wondering what to do with them.

On the subject of cassette singles, after hearing the track on Wave 105's Golden Hour the other morning I was reading about Kylie's "Hand on Your Heart" single, from 1989, and how it missed on on entering the chart at Number 1 because the Chart regulations deemed that the £1.99 price the cassette single was being sold for was too low for inclusion in the sales figures..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_on_Your_Heart

Yesterday I listened to an interview with Theresa Bazar of Dollar and many of their top ten hits sold over 250000 copies . Nowadays 17,694 physical sales will get you a Number 1 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Singles_Chart_records_and_statistics

Radio Raheem and Mister X like this.
  6. Mister X

I forget all of the "tricks" that were used to boost singles, I think one was giving them away at concerts and that was considered a sale. Soundscan came around to change the old style of counting in the 90's, mp3's turned the world around again and so on.

Radio Raheem likes this.
  7. Radio Raheem

I can't remember when i bought any new music lads as im not into paying for mp3's phones and all of that, i guess the last time for me would have been the late 80's when you could still get music on cassette, just bought a load of cassettes now but there nearly as old as me lol

Mister X likes this.
  8. Mister X

I still buy music, but I have a ton of it, just like everything else, I was the vinyl/cassette dumpster for friends and relatives for years. My last purchase was a CD a couple weeks ago, Dokken released some "found" songs from the early 80's, they rebuilt them into listenable songs but for the avid listener. I rarely see tapes for sale anymore and didn't go to any garage/flea/thrift stores this year so the random fill in the collection has been postponed. Radio is so bad, it's nearly impossible to find new good music, it's just 60's-90's played over and over and bands like the Stones, with hundreds of songs, only get a handful played.

9. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

10. Longman

Sly. and Mister X like this.
  11. Mister X

I love those early vertical CD players.

12. Radio Raheem

I have the panasonic Fd80, i had one brand new in 87...it doesn't sound very good though, it took me years to get a replacement and is in fully working order

13. Mister X

14. Mister X

I love the accessories, all of the cool gadgets that went with the Walkmans and boomboxes. Most of it is impossible to find or super expensive and the JVC HM-100E Headphones are no exception. For use with the RC-838 Boombox, not only can you listen to your boomer in privacy but you can also record with their Biphonic System where the recording mics are in the same place as your ears. These headphones have built-in mics, I wonder if you can monitor what your recording, otherwise it would be quit in there.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Vinta...420435?hash=item548314a253:g:ktsAAOSw4CFYoMrq

JVC HM-100E.jpg

15. Mister X

16. Mister X

Standard Radio of Japan was bought in the early 70's by Marantz USA, I'm not sure but I think I remember that they were also building Marantz's (made in Japan) Audio Equipment starting in the mid-60's after SuperScope bought Marantz. Legend is that Marantz USA Equipment cost more to manufacture than retail cost. Superscope moved most manufacturing to Japan after they bought the company.

Marantz was an early Boombox Maker, most were branded Superscope by Marantz but there also seems to be some some very early boomboxes from Standard, making it seem like that when Marantz bought Standard, they also aquired a boombox line. Here's an extremely rare Standard KR-3300. I've never seen this one before and it's why I'm posting it, price-wise it's up there but like UNIX, Standard Radio Equipment is also very expensive. You can see a lot of design that the Superscope boxes used in this model, including the white tip on the antenna.

This is a really nice looking box, but ultra-expensive, for the hard-core Marantz Collector. It is nice seeing these older boxes come up more often, hopefully website like S2G are helping. These older boxes are usually very heavy duty, some of the buttons look dated but everything moves with precision.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Standard-B...035074?hash=item217c949d02:g:198AAOSwJfRfo2hR

Standard KR-E300.jpg

17. Mister X

18. Mister X

Here's an interesting one over in Japan, it looks like the Sharp QT-F360 was modified for use by the US Airforce. Tape decks were used for a lot of computer and testing applications back then, who knows what this was used for.
    https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e474420970

Sharp QT-F360.png
    Sharp QT-F360 2.png
    Sharp QT-F360 3.png

19. Longman

A Standard radio cassette and some blank cassettes appears in the very first (1973) Argos catalogue, but is mysteriously marked as withdrawn in the prices.
    Standard Radio Cassette.jpg
    By the 1980s Standard was a popular choice of Amateur Radio Equipment. Their C58 http://www.rigpix.com/standard/c58e.htm was the only competitor to the extremely popular Yaesu FT290.
    More recently I have noticed that Yaesu rigs seem to be labelled Vertex Standard in some countries
    https://www.radiotrade.co.uk/products/vertex-standard

That really is strange. I wonder if the camouflage paint job was applied by the Airforce.
    I did once see an ex MoD Boscombe Down Panasonic or Philips shortwave receiver for sale on Ebay.co.uk but that was more typical of the sort of equipment they might use for test equipment checking out aircraft radios etc.

Mister X likes this.
  20. Mister X

Cool Standard! 1973 was right around when Marantz bought them, I don't think they showed up again until Marantz split up in 79. From what I've read, Standard was a quality brand with a lot of respect in the Japanese Market, after 1979 they seemed to be in more high-end commercial markets and very few consumer portables.