1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cool stuff for sale mega-thread.

Discussion in 'Auctions and classifieds' started by Mister X, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

2. Mister X

3. Mister X

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    lupogtiboy likes this.
  4. Mister X

Sony TC-PB10, this is cassette only! and it doesn't have the mega-rare battery pack making it portable but it is a really nice tape deck with it's own amp and speakers. Strangely it has AUX in, maybe for a keyboard or drum set? Is that jack tied into the mixing control? These were expensive when new, I've posted a few ads in the brochure section, some of the ads have pricing.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/194319691608?hash=item2d3e5b2f58:g:6CYAAOSwvgdhKqO9

Sony TC-PB10.jpg

5. Mister X

Concord Boombox! Ok, he wants silly money for it but this is a rare find, it's not listed over on the wikiboombox it's so rare. Concord was an early player in the auto-cassette world going back to the early 70's and kept cranking out units into the mid-80's maybe longer. This is the first Concord Boombox I've seen and there's no model number on it anywhere.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/185022046001?hash=item2b142c5f31:g:YeMAAOSw2FNf-HHS

Concord.jpg

6. CDV

CDV Well-Known Member

A machine this size with full logic should have Dolby. As for inputs, all cassette-corders and boomboxes sold in Russia used to have inputs, because it just could have been a single tape machine in a family, and there was no RIAA to breathe on tapers' necks In fact, I was surprised to find out that so few Western boomboxes have inputs, even bigger ones. Even more puzzling why most of them have recording capabilities and built-in mics - who is going to use them? Maybe back then there was stuff on radio worth recording. I almost never recorded off the radio.

This is a rather crazy looking boombox: Toshiba RT-2800 Parabola. But no Dolby as far as I can see.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  7. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

This one has been discussed before
    http://stereo2go.com/forums/threads/is-this-sony-a-boombox.3332/

Even more puzzling why most of them have recording capabilities and built-in mics - who is going to use them? Maybe back then there was stuff on radio worth recording. I almost never recorded off the radio.[/QUOTE]
    While I agree with the comment about Mics, although I have occasionally used them.
    One use would be recording music off the TV. Until the mid 1980s the only socket on most TVs was the aerial socket.

I completely disagree with the comment about the radio. Every week we got most of the Top 40 broadcast in the Chart Countdown. It was also one of the few times that Radio 1 (aimed at young people) got to use the FM Stereo frequency it shared with Radio 2 which was then mainly easy listening of the 1950s variety.

I still recall an interview Sara Cox did with Kylie Minogue on Sounds of the Eighties.

Sara - So were you like "Home taping is Killing Music" a real campaign going on back then
    Kylie - No. I was the person with my fingers on play an record of my mono Radio-Cassette during the chart countdown.

That of course was Australia but I expect the culture was the same.

Everyone just had to hope the DJ didn't keep talking over the intro of their favourite song or fade it out early.

Mister X likes this.
  8. CDV

CDV Well-Known Member

9. Longman

10. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Mister X likes this.
  11. Longman

Until Hugo sets up a sister site Quad2go I will have to post this with all the equipment with a mere two channels :wink2

Radiomobile quad.jpg
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265300632584?hash=item3dc5266408:g:EtoAAOSw3ClhNRMD

This photo shows it does actually have a four track head (but presumably only half the playing time)
    Radiomobile quad head.jpg

Looking at eBay.com I am surprised by how many 8 track boomboxes there were listed.
    8 track went out of fashion in the U.K. by the mid 1970s, having about as much success here as MiniDisc had in the USA.

Mister X likes this.
  12. Mister X

I've got the big Technic's four channel amp somewhere around here, someday I need to fire it up. I don't think they ever made a compact cassette with four tracks besides the Tascam Portastudio and later home "studios", I wonder if I can mate the two? Of course I'd have to record my own tracks or figure a way to split up the arrangement.

13. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Mister X likes this.
  14. Longman

15. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

the minidisc walkman format was so disappointing in sound quality the amps etc were pi$$ weak

anyway guys i have just jumped on a new old format by accident can anyone guess what it is, it involves cd so that should give the game away..........i just hope it fares better than walkman MD lol

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    Mister X likes this.
  16. Longman

SACD ?

I haven't ever been tempted by MiniDisc. If you want digital you might as well go SSD.

Strangely I also keep finding myself looking at a format I rember but have never owned; 8 Track !
    That was about as successful in the U.K. as MiniDisc was in the U.S.A.

Radio Raheem and Mister X like this.
  17. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

i'll start another thread longman as i don't want to hijack this one lad, to be honest I'm starting to panic to many unanswered questions lad

18. Mister X

Longman, there's about 10 or so cool 8-track boomboxes, a great way to jump in, some have that great 70's build but there's a lot of early 80's plastic-fantastics also. I'm not a fan of the format but I've also got a Roberts Component Deck in case I need to record some 8-tracks. I bought it when it was an old boat-anchor, now I guess they get pretty good money for them.

19. Longman

I think the only 8 Track Boombox we got here was the one from Radio Shack. There are always some old car players and home systems on eBay.co.uk though. It was seeing some 8 Tracks at a car boot sale that rekindled my interest. In the mid 1970s my schoolfriend had a car player and stack of Western 8 tracks wired up in his bedroom after his Father switched over to cassettes in his car.

20. Mister X

The Quasar Spectator from 1989, I want this bad but it's a little out of my price range. I posted a blurb about it in the Walkman Archeaology thread, this was $549.00 USD in 1989 and you can tell it has very nice build quality. Not only that but it has an antenna jack, which is super rare with these portable TVs and it has a video in. I'd love to know more about it, at this time Casios were everywhere and a fraction of the price.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/185020043646?hash=item2b140dd17e:g:8XYAAOSwXZphKUQ3

Quasar Spectator 1.jpg