1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cool stuff for sale mega-thread.

Discussion in 'Auctions and classifieds' started by Mister X, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

i had one sounded great, never used the record player though

was gunna buy it but fell off my chair....mine was 50 quid

seriously, i think you should issue health warnings with these crazy ebay listings

i can tell you for free as i have had most of the boomboxes, not one of them is worth a grand imho, unless i am so far behind that a grand is only worth £1

Last edited: Dec 15, 2023
    Mister X likes this.
  2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

It's not like the old days where people were begging you to take equipment off their hands or they mentioned they just tossed out a huge old Pioneer Stereo System.

When you have the only one listed for sale, I guess you can ask silly money just in case someone has looked forever. The good sellers will try to move inventory quickly but I'm sure there's owners out there that put the "I would sell for this silly money price" on the equipment knowing that they'd rather keep the item. Speaking of big money, the Russian Store seems to have disappeared, at least I don't see his listings anymore.

3. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Ebay imposed restrictions on Russia, so that's probably why you don't see him anymore. Either that, or he got drafted to serve Putin's land-grab.

As for high prices, there really isn't any established price for any of this stuff, so it makes sense to shoot for the moon and let buyers submit counteroffers if they think the price is too high. If you use an auction format instead, you probably won't get as much money, because buyers are too impatient for auctions anymore.

Mister X likes this.
  4. Mister X

Here's a rare one for the USA, the NEC RMS-1100R, this might have been JDM only. I don't know much about NEC but they were big like JVC back in the late 70's and had the same coolness factor. From what I've read they built a ton of stuff for other companies but this unit has a T-Tag listing "G-Den" as the builder. I have no idea who that is. The round dials on the front are killer, this would be a looker in any collection, unfortunately the dial is kind of boring and it only goes to 90 MHz.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/364621718436?

NEC RMS 1100R.png

5. Mister X

AIWA TPR-501, I've never seen one of these for sale before, beautiful early unit with a killer color and it has a case! There's ads for it in the brochure thread, I think it's around 1973?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/196158460009?

aiwa tpr-501.jpg

6. Mister X

I have no idea what this Sony TC-168 is for and there's no information about it on the net. It's a very advanced design but it looks like it's from 1972 with the "cassette-corder" phrase on the back, they stopped using that around the mid-70's. Anybody know this model? I can't tell if it has two headphone jacks or two mic jacks and there's a phone input on the back. The phone input is kind of normal, you could buy a pickup that had a suction cup that would stick to the phone and you could record conversations.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/166542844724?

Sony TC-168.jpg

7. Mister X

Derek marshall likes this.
  8. Mister X

Another oddity for sale in Taiwan, the Sony EVX-S8, an 8mm audio player for your car from around 1987 but don't quote me on that. It looks like $7000 Taiwan Dollars is around $233 USD. I don't know anything about this system but it does say audio on it although the unit doesn't look like it has a radio tuner. One of the pics in the ad has someone playing Nintendo on it through the video in mounted on the front panel. I bet this would have been really cool in a camper van.

https://shopee.tw/二手-稀有-古董-Sony-XVM-8-XTV-8-EVX-S8-V8-放影-播放機-含螢幕-選台器-lo-i.5080654.4840711902

9a5b3479c29e6619fbf3ccc621db0fd0.jpg

9. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

It is all video. Sony were always trying to expand 8mm beyond camcorders. For reasons best known to him a colleague bought an 8mm home VCR.

Back to the in car version, as you say just the thing for watching Ghostbusters on a rainy day in the camper van
    https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...y died out as a,8mm VCRs barely sold anything.

10. Mister X

I've got a few 8mm out in the shop, the good Sony's have a base unit that came with the camera. I loved the format, just because it was small and cool looking but it was also another very expensive Sony Toy and you had to buy the whole system to get anything out of it. I bet the prosumer liked the small form factor of the cameras.

11. Mister X

12. Mister X

Derek marshall likes this.
  13. Mister X

Aciko 404, there was one in Canada a few years ago, I was going to grab it but it dissappeared. I have no idea of the build quality but they are very unique looking until the Kabooms. Kind of a clock radio, boombox hybrid, what is the MESSAGE light for?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/296043058223

aicko 404.png

Recaptcha likes this.
  14. Recaptcha

Recaptcha Well-Known Member

Now THAT's funky! Maybe the message light means it (or some other model of it) has answering machine capabilities. Also maybe some sw radio frequencies carried data messages?? I'm truly not sure, those are just some stabs in the dark. I like the fact they called it a 'Casseiver'

Mister X likes this.
  15. Recaptcha

Here's one I found super cool:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1753765814...uid=EMZ_XxPmROi&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg
    s-l1600-4.jpg

It's a Bloomingdale's branded cassette player. Look at those colors! I could have see this as a kids toy (think My First Sony), but for an American luxury department store to carry this as a branded item, it had to have been marketed as a upscale chic fashion accessory... and for a truly rad 80s workout outfit no doubt... neon leg warmers? Please. Given the generic Bloomingdale's accessory style box it ships in, this was definitley sold at a counter. So cool. Bloomingdales was insanely luxurious in the 80s too, they were hot stuff. Too bad the player itself is low quality... not much good happening under that colorful exterior...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
  16. Mister X

Randix WA-80S, Randix had some interesting products in the early 80's, this would look great on a shelf but don't expect too much from it. Unfortunately the speaker ears broke off. I have to believe this was just a few dollars when new.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/266643328698?

randix.jpg

17. Recaptcha

Valentine's Day has just passed, but your chance at true love may not have! Here's the National "Love Call"... NEW in box:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1961510038...A62B7B&hash=item2dab82caeb:g:CqAAAOSwXEBliXwF

s-l1600-5.jpg

Single? Get ready to be star struck by this great catch! Looking around? Well look no further!! Married??? ... idk, have an affair or something. lol seriously this thing is really cool, and I love all of the cute names that Japan marketed audio products had around this time. Why did we in the USA have to be so dull? Not the highest-end model by any stretch, but she has line-in, line-out, and connections for external speakers. Very flexible with lots of inputs.

Mister X likes this.
  18. Big_Paul

Big_Paul Member

Nothing for sale here right now but a friend of mine is bringing me an Akai AJ557 in a couple of hours, i'm paying him £50 for it, personally i don't think it's worth £50, but what can i do, the price is £50, if i snooze i lose. i had one in 2004/5 and i've always wanted another, just wish it was cheaper..

Mister X likes this.
  19. Mister X

Where's Jorge, he love's those cool names! There's a thread on here somewhere, you should post that one.

We only have the small AKAI's with the rotating speakers over here. That big boombox might have sent the wrong message to the guys that loved the R2R equipment over here. My theory is that Pioneer (Centrex) and Marantz (Superscope) kept the boombox branding on the down low for years so their high-end component buyers didn't get offended by entry-level "boomboxes."

50 bones for a boombox is pretty normal now, I bought some basic ones last year for $20-30 dollars. I think because it has a radio and still useful, people are buying them, at least around here.

Recaptcha likes this.
  20. Mister X