Cool stuff for sale mega-thread.

Discussion in 'Auctions and classifieds' started by Mister X, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

The Kloss inspired speakers aren't too bad......

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  2. Mister X

3. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

id actually buy that mister x but im broke

4. Mister X

Any insight on what you like about it Radio Raheem? If your a serious "history" collector of stereo cassettes it definately would look good on a shelf, I don't know what the sonics are like on it but it's an oddball along with the Superscope Version. This one is nice and it looks like a complete set at 1/3 of what the other ones have been BIN at.

5. Radio Raheem

no real insight mister x it's just i have never seen a cassette player in stereo with speakers like that, all the ones i have seen were mono, when i was about 9 i used to record knight rider off the tv with one, play it all week and then record the next episode

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  6. Mister X

I think that was pretty common for young kids, record anything and play it back, I don't think I knew what stereo was back then and the things we were recording were mostly mono anyway.

7. Radio Raheem

by then i had been taking things to bits for a while and already knew how to adjust heads etc....move 4 years forward i had already had 3 major boomboxes

akai pj33 panasonic rxc 52 and i was doing discos with my jvc dc 33l....i was running 4 speakers on it...2 at the front of the hall on stage and 2 at the back

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  8. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

A tempting Sharp GF990

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHARP-GF...h=item5b51eada6c:g:1TcAAOSwL-xcDWfS:rk:2:pf:0

I do like the look of these, but despite searching and searching on Youtube I have yet to hear anyone do anything musical with the built in keyboard.

For the CD fans this might be interesting although I suspect they cheaped out on the speakers

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sharp-WQ...h=item1ef30a0c35:g:Qy0AAOSw5UdbXJ4s:rk:3:pf:0

I don't think I have seen a Multi-disc Boombox before. It slides the discs from one side to the other as shown in this video

That is different from the horizontal carousels, vertical carousels, or stacked CDs like car changers.
    Recalling the recent Nakamichi thread it was amazing the things that were done to get random access to three gigabytes of data.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Sly. likes this.
  9. Mister X

I love that Sharp, they go for triple that over here. 8-Bit Guy/8-Bit Keys did a tear-down on the Casio KX-101, he also has some great videos on the consumer keyboards from the 80's and some of the highlights that showed up once in a while.

10. Longman

From what I have seen and heard it seems clear that Casio were an experienced keyboard manufacturer who decided to make a Boombox, while Sharp were an experienced Boombox manufacturer who decided to add a keyboard.

An 8 Bit Keys review of the GF990 would be great. He has done some really cool multi-track tunes using little Casios.

Sly. and Mister X like this.
  11. Mister X

Honestly he's the first guy I've seen play a keyboard, like a keyboard and not a piano. I love that 70's-80's synth sound and the consumer keyboard wars. We were lucky to have so many products and companies that were trying to out do each other and synth keyboards were another cool item that was fun to play with even if you didn't know how to play piano.

12. Longman

In the late 1970s I and a friend used to look at Korg Keyboards costing over £1000 in Music shops. Then from about 1983 keyboards with more features (e.g. 8 note polyphony) were available for less than £200 in every electrical retailer.

13. Mister X

14. Mister X

15. Longman

That is the weirdest combination. I think I said before that we watched a TV programme on The 1981 Royal Wedding and it was noticable how many people in the crowd had their 5" Black and White TV Radio Cassettesand similar. Ideal for catching up with the rest of the event before the days of smartphones or even big video screens.

In contrast with separate speakers and no battery option ? I can't even imagine this being of any use in a caravan, another classic place where a mini TV would be useful.

16. Mister X

I didn't think about a camper, it might have been ok for that, a lot of those campers resisted putting in TVs until the end, now they all have them.

17. Longman

With British weather they were far more popular.
    I had seen this picture (which predates the cassette) of the clown and his portable TV before

https://www.thevalvepage.com/tv/ekco/tmb272/tmb272.htm

I didn't know the bit about this set causing a change in motoring laws.

Mister X likes this.
  18. Longman

Minidisc fans - I present the future of the Walkman :scratch2

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-Nw-...=item3d811a8ec4:g:1d4AAOSwseFcSFYl:rk:36:pf:0
    The most notable thing on the second photo was the "low low price" of just £349 !!!!!!
    I hope that included a memory stick.

Just make sure your computer is running the latest Windows 98 software. Otherwise you might need an expensive upgrade to be able to use this.

NW-MS7.jpg NW-MS7a.jpg

I just found this press release

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press_Archive/199909/99-072A/index.html

The fact that this predated the iPod by two years actually makes me more impressed.

Sly. likes this.
  19. Mister X

I didn't know Sony had an adapter for it's memory stick, it looks like a neat little unit and dated with it's green screen. I can see how these would be collectable down the road.

Sly. likes this.
  20. Longman

Mister X likes this.