1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Echoes of Time: A Melody in Reverse. 1969 JVC Nivico TR-171US Two Way Solid State Tape Recorder.

Discussion in 'Other formats: DCC, MD, Reel 2 reel, CD...' started by Retro Audio Museum, Jun 25, 2023.

1. Retro Audio Museum

Retro Audio Museum Active Member

"Echoes of Time: A Melody in Reverse"
    Hokku:
    Amidst the tape's whispers,
    Reverberating echoes,
    Time's symphony plays.
    54 years ago, in 1969, the bustling workshops of Victor Company of Japan, Ltd., birthed a humble kid: the JVC Nivico TR-171US. This unassuming tape recorder, a product of meticulous craftsmanship, embodied the essence of simplicity and innovation. It is a double-track monophonic two-way tape recorder with two speeds (4.75 and 9,56 cm/sec ), music power of 2 watts, and the possibility of operation in a vertical position.
    The main advantage of this quite simple tape recorder is a two-way recording and playback system. The drive shaft and pinch roller are located in the center of the tape drive mechanism, and two universal and two erasing heads are located on the left and right sides, respectively. Recording and playback are possible in both directions of tape movement, and these functions are identical. It's very convenient to record both forward and backward without swapping the reel of the tape or turning it over, especially when recording a long program. Those who have experienced, for example, the need to record telephone conversations or live performances, will appreciate this feature.
    "Echoes of Time: A Melody in Reverse" embraced the essence of this story, unveiling the beauty hidden within this unassuming tape recorder. It celebrated the dance between nostalgia and innovation, reminding us that simplicity could birth true brilliance. And as the Japanese hokku whispered, capturing the spirit of minimalism, it beckoned readers to embrace the elegance and harmony within life's simplest pleasures.
    Amidst the tape's whispers,
    Reverberating echoes,
    Time's symphony plays.
    Nivico03.jpg

autoreverser, thid and Mister X like this.
  2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

What size tape does that take, they look larger than 3." That's a neat little unit, these things were loved when new, I always wonder what they did for daily duty and the stories they could tell.

Retro Audio Museum likes this.
  3. Retro Audio Museum

Thank you! The maximum size of the tape is DP13 (diameter 13cm).

Mister X likes this.
  4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Interesting, I've seen 3, 7 and 10" but never 13 cm, is that common over there?

Retro Audio Museum likes this.
  5. Retro Audio Museum

Yes, it is Europe, Holland :)

Mister X likes this.
  6. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

germany it‘s the same - 13cm

UHER Report use it, NAGRA-KudelskyIII and following also :hi

@ RetroAudio: we should connect, i might have a few gems you need…

Mister X and Retro Audio Museum like this.
  7. Retro Audio Museum

You can find all my contact details on Google (Retro Audio Museum Lelystad). Please send me a message through WhatsApp, the best way to keep in touch.

8. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

i will try but not whatsapp/facebook, i avoid „Meta“ like the devil sacrified water :hi

Mister X and Retro Audio Museum like this.
  9. Retro Audio Museum

You can send me an email as well