1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with value of Aiwa HS-JX2000 GOLD

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by walkmanwonderer1, Apr 29, 2018.

1. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Please enlighten me if i am wrong? I am happy to change my view, when the facts change proving otherwise.

2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I think this thread

http://www.stereo2go.com/forums/thr...lkman-wm-701t-for-sale.3753/page-2#post-31183

shows that if a Stereo is rare and desirable enough you might find a keen buyer here.

Have you actually tried the stereo yet ? Even if it has never been taken out of the box there is a good chance that it won't work, as there are quite a few things that can deteriorate like belts, capacitors, and batteries. Some of the Aiwa rechargable batteries are now unobtainable - not even as third party copies.

Ebay used to have a category "New Other" which was a pretty good description of such items, but it doesn't seem to be there any longer.
    I am currently selling a train set of my late Fathers as "used"despite it having never been run, as that particular model has a reputation of being a bit temperamental and the guarantee expired 40 years ago.

Good luck if you decide to sell.

3. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

this will not work 100%. aiwas will need a full recap and belts, even if not used

4. walkmanwonderer1

walkmanwonderer1 New Member

to you my friend, the facts will remain elusive. I'm not here to discuss the circumstances, merely the piece itself and share it with a like minded community. a price? isn't that what collecting is all about? lets not make it a personal thing, just enjoy the thread or leave it be. some appreciate this, others are not so fussed and I can understand that. I wanted to tap the knowledge of enlightened people. and those that have contributed I really appreciate.

I have contacted someone about selling this on consignment, so watch this space.....!

5. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Richard May nothing personal here, you talk as if I care about what you want to do. I don’t.

6. walkmanwonderer1

Ok.

if you have nothing of value to add, and dont want to be part of this discussion then dont bother. like you said before, normally you dont reply on these kinds of threads with people asking a value of their equipment - maybe leave it to the people that do.

7. walkmanwonderer1

its now listed on ebay. :)

8. walkmanwonderer1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223575502288

spread the word - or not. keep the information to yourselves for your own collection if you plan to bid. either way, I hope this finds a proper forever home with someone that will enjoy it as its meant to be.

Thanks for all of your help.

Richie

Mister X likes this.
  9. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, I find stuff outside my interests all of the time. I like to find out as much as possible, just because I'm truly curious, but since it's something I'm not into it gets sold. It looks like there's solid interest in it and you'll do pretty well, when you sell it, let us know the history of it, it's such a rare unit I'm dying to know how you came across it.

10. Radio Raheem

i had a boxed hs jx3000 once but sold it these are indeed rare in this condition

11. walkmanwonderer1

Well peeps, that’s all she wrote.

It’s now on its way to Japan to its new owner, at I’m guessing a record price for one of these.

As for the back story, that’s going to stay private I’m afraid - it’s not a fun story.

I want to thank you all for the information you have provided.

Kind regards.

Longman and Mister X like this.
  12. Longman

Congratulations Richard. I was surprised by your start price and even more surprised to see the price it went for.
    Who would have guessed that your Aiwa was worth more than your Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder ?

I always find it interesting to look at the bids in an auction, and note that the third highest bidder dropped out at £1611.
    It goes to show that you only need two people intent on winning an auction for the price to go up and up.

I get the impression that items like the Aiwa are closer to the category of collectors watches than Audio Equipment.
    I wonder if the person who buys it will ever take it out of the box and try using it.

13. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

I monitor walkman prices closely. I also keep record of certain walkman prices sold on ebay or yahoo japan.
    Its hard for me to believe this walkman was sold to such a high price.this was my assessment of this model over a year ago:

and this is what shows sold on eBay 2 days ago:
    upload_2019-7-16_12-51-35.png
    as i said its hard to believe this model's price to be in that range. I can tell the prices of vintage electronics are going higher every year and I have seen unusual prices on certain walkman units in the past but this one breaks the record :biggrin:.

Jorge likes this.
  14. Longman

Does anyone know what this unit cost new ? It would be interesting to see what kind of investment it was. Of course in the real world people buy a Walkman or similar for £100, enjoy using it for a few years, forget about it for a while then and up selling it for £10 or less.

Back to my point about bid history, it is possible there is now only one person left in the world who would be prepared to spend more than £1611 on one of these.

15. Boodokhan

I am not sure about the original price. In the past we had some links to original prices of almost all walkman units like this one posted by AO:
    http://www.stereo2go.com/topic/index.php?content_oid=327524467632422720&board_oid=522740502721869426
    but i couldnt find this model there

and there is a possibility that this walkman was not sold at all :wink:.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Jorge likes this.
  16. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

These specialty models never show up in literature, I scoured the Japanese Websites and couldn't find any information. The strange thing about this model is there are a lot of photos of boxed models out there.

17. stuck-in-time

stuck-in-time Well-Known Member

Being a special edition, I guess it's much more likely for people to keep the boxes as well.

Mister X likes this.
  18. Radio Raheem

they were only about £250 new in the late 90's and i have seen lots of them not so much now though....i sold mine for about £500 a good few years ago to retrodos who has a bad reputation here but i had no issues with him and found him very helpful

19. walkmanwonderer1

Well, I can assure you that the item did sell, and is still in transit to japan. Going home almost.

Thank for all your comments again, and I’m glad that this has generated so much interest. They are really hot right now.

20. Boodokhan

I am waiting for buyers feedback :wink:

Jorge likes this.