1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with value of Aiwa HS-JX2000 GOLD

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by walkmanwonderer1, Apr 29, 2018.

1. givemeyourwalkmans

givemeyourwalkmans Active Member

I'm really quite disappointed at your attitude Richard. The story of how you got the item is perhaps the single most valuable thing you could have contributed to this forum. Being able to see the item sell for 'x' amount of money gives everyone here only a very barely useful estimate of the value trend of vintage Walkmans. It's far less useful to anyone who doesn't own the same model.

Furthermore the fact that you would dangle the topic of how you managed to get this Walkman, like a carrot in front of other members who have a long and positive history on this board. I think that's very disrespectful considering that if it wasn't for members on this board, I dare say you wouldn't have sold it for half as much. For certain though you wouldn't be 3000 pounds richer that's for sure.

Very disappointing and a tad immature I must say. I'd be willing to share in your celebration and offer my own comments but not considering your attitude at current.

My 2 cents.

Jorge likes this.
  2. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@givemeyourwalkmans Thank You!!! for making my own thoughts public!
    Nothing had been learned, "peeps" is not the language I would have used when addressing the folks at, say, Car&Driver chatroom, even though me personally does not give a rat's a$$ about cars, and dangling some useless info only to back out is, well, not very "manly" ;)
    I am pretty sure that @Richard May shall crucify you, but 25 years of marriage had taught me that The Boss always wins any argument, even on those (very) rare occasions when I am 100% right...
    She knows where to find us :)

Boodokhan likes this.
  3. givemeyourwalkmans

Hi Jorge,

Truly many of the members here are those in the top handful in the world who not only understand the value of these models, some whom even know how to fix and actually even improve upon them, but I think for certain I can say all of which truly appreciate these incredible devices, including the wonderful memories that they come with. I was not lucky enough to grow up during the time that these models were on the shelves or being advertised in the local newspaper but I'm grateful that even though I was very late to the party, there are people willing to share their expertise and more importantly, their passion for discussing and maintaining Walkmans so I have the chance to enjoy them myself at a time when they are well and truly a vintage item.

If someone in the future finds this thread and doesn't really understand what I mean by passion, or they think I am exaggerating. I ask them to take a look at this thread, which absolutely moved my heart, and especially after seeing the heartbreaking vlog video that came before it: http://www.stereo2go.com/forums/threads/i-cant-believe-it-aiwa-hs-px303-in-my-hands.3425/

Anyway. It's one thing for Richard to not share the same passion as some of those on the forums here do, and I don't want to accuse him of just seeing dollar signs $$$ here (though clearly that seems all that has been achieved so far). But I think it's another thing entirely to dangle the topic of how you managed to get your hands on such a rare and mint condition item that clearly at least 2 people who bid felt it was very desirable. I hope Richard that you reconsider and do share your story, no matter how sad or boring or pointless that you think it is. I also hope that you also take the time to look around her and see the effort that so many people put in here to help those around them. Maybe then you could understand why @TooCooL4 was saddened by your lack of interest in the device and it's history, and why other members replied the way they did.

But hey, what do I know. Congrats on your sale. If it were me however, I'd have cherished that device for the rest of my life, even if it wasn't regarded in the top 10 'best performers' or something. Personally, I am still trying to find a mint or near mint Aiwa for my own to cherish.

That's all I have to say, except that I am with @Boodokhan in that I look forward to seeing the eBay feedback for this sale. I'm also very surprised to hear that someone actually bid that high and even paid that amount. As I wouldn't be surprised that someone merely bid that much in order to try and inflate the cost. What do I know though. :tongue: My apologies to others for the rave.

EDIT: Whilst looking at this model I found another one which is currently for sale for less than 10% of the price Richard's sold for. Still pretty good exterior condition and also with the box etc. If anyone is interested: https://www.finn.no/bap/forsale/ad.html?finnkode=112988589

EDIT (final): Here's even one you could get for parts if you really like this Walkman: https://www.ebay.com/itm/253828191518

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    Boodokhan and Jorge like this.
  4. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Amen!

givemeyourwalkmans likes this.
  5. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

To be fair to Richard, I have may been doing the same thing selling my late Fathers toy trains for the last eleven years, sharing the proceeds with my sister as agreed with my Mum. I often consult experts on that subject, not to ask prices (which will determine themselves on Ebay) but to try and find information like what year they were made. For about the first three years I had a recurring dream, in which he was still alive and I was thinking "how am I going to explain all the stuff I have sold".

Earlier this year we received a letter from a local museum saying "if this reaches you we are closing down. Could you contact us to arrange to collect the items you lent us". That was an entire car load, and many of the items like a Hornby 3.5" gauge live steam Rocket set were brand new in their boxes. From the paperwork it was the 1980s when he bought and lent them the items. The rest of the family knew nothing about this. A shame as I would have liked to have seen them on display.

A few months ago I found, by chance a thought provoking thread on a Rotary Phones forum about inheriting and passing on collections, which could apply to any collectable.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5850.0

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    walkmanwonderer1 and Boodokhan like this.
  6. walkmanwonderer1

walkmanwonderer1 New Member

Come on, really? Judging someone for the use of language to try and keep a discussion light hearted? Because I addressed all as ‘peeps’? I’m not here to crucify what people say or don’t say, that’s not my attitude to these forums. I will never be rude or narrow minded towards an individual, it’s just not nice and you never know someone’s true mindset from behind a keyboard.

I have no reason to explain myself, or to judge. The information on here didn’t really help me sell the item, as by looking at what it was, one could tell that it was special. An eBay auction was the only way to get it out into the world, and for the right person/persons to own it. I do however appreciate all those who genuinely commented and I appreciate your time, as it was a learning curve certainly for myself. And by the looks of it, some of you too. Because of the sale price, the only logical explanation is that it’s all made up? Why would someone bother doing that? Anyway...

Someone was close with the story, but it is not being told as it is a personal one and I don’t want to tell it. Mostly, it’s not my story to tell. It’s not because it’s boring, I just don’t want to share it as it’s not my place to. I hope that you can appreciate that.

As for the sale, what each of you would have done is circumstantial. Everyone has a situation that they approach differently.

The feedback will come, I hope. The chap was from Japan, and I hope he shares it with the world in a forum or somewhere. It was received by him this morning.

Also, just FYI, the postage to Japan cost £161 by FedEx (to ensure it was fully insured), as the eBay international shipping has a limit of £2500. I didn’t know this, and the buyer kindly paid the extra shipping. He messaged me this morning as said he is over the moon. Btw, his feedback was low as he doesn’t get much opportunity to use eBay in Japan. He messaged me a lot over the course of the auction and offered me £2000 when it was still at approx. £1200. To be fair to all that had bid, I told him that I would let the auction run. I had no reserve set so whatever it achieved it sold for. It wasn’t ‘bid up’, so please don’t think that. I was shocked when I saw the sale price, and I must confess that I thought I was in for some aggravation as that someone was being silly and would send a message asking for their bid to be removed. This was not the case, and the person who won it couldnt have been more polite.

Please, no green eyed monsters. I would have loved to keep it, put a tape in and see what it would have sounded like. Part of me hoped that if I did that it would work - but I will never know.

I wish everyone all the best, and I hope you all find the Walkman that you’re looking for.

RM

7. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

The feedback is placed. So I am convinced that this walkman was sold to that high price.
    Still I believe this model worth less than sold price but some collectors are very crazy about certain models'

about 5 years ago I paid over USD 700 to a Russian seller (a Member of S2G) for a red WM-W800 that supposed to be working fine but when i received it was not functioning. Still I have it. After 5 years its value is about $280.
    So my point is even the buyers knows that the boxed AIWA walkman worth less than £3000 but still pays the price due to several factors and the most important one is Dopamine urge :biggrin::biggrin:. (Most of us in this forum at some point have paid some unreasonable money toward certain items)

So there is no doubt the average price of vintage electronics are constantly going up and at any given time there might be a crazy buyer who is willing to pay a ridiculous amount of money for certain hard to find items.

upload_2019-7-29_10-22-23.png

8. Longman

I'm glad to hear that it all worked out for Richard.
    I am not the best person to ask about top end prices.

Something I have learnt from my 700+ sales on Ebay.

If someone offers you a buy it now price it probably means they are prepared to pay a lot more.
    I got an offer of about £300 on one of the first train sets I sold. At the the end of the auction it went for £600 to the person who had made that offer. Back then you could see the buyers email address directly and the seller used his work address. He was working for a company building multi £million luxury houses. Whenever I think something is very expensive I think - would it be expensive to someone like Elton John ?

Regarding bidders backing out I had a strange situation last month. After a £201 auction I got an email the next day from the High Bidder to say he was having "Buyers Remorse" and could I ask if the next highest bidder was interested. To my surprise he happily paid his maximum bid of £200 despite the third highest bid only being £130. Maybe he spent all night thinking - if only I had bid a little bit more.

Since I keep going on about the trains, here, on someone else's web site, is one I sold a couple of months ago.

http://rolywilliams.com/Bar Knight loco.html

In my case, despite doing all the listing and packing I have to split the final profit with my sister.
    Luckily I am actually interested in the trains. There are other things like a collection of military cap badges that I am less interested in doing research into. The trains and model soldiers have gone all around the world, with many items going back to where they were made, often before WWII.

9. givemeyourwalkmans

Congrats Richard. I only wish you had been a bit more forthcoming with the story. If it's really something you didn't have the right to tell, no problem. I think if there's any group of people on earth who could understand that, it's the people on this forum. Certainly things could have gone differently.

Now the only thing I care about. Richard. With that amount of money, I expect to see you buying a perfect condition DD9 and DC2, or at least a few beautiful AIWAs. ;)

10. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

90% of this thread is great, no back-story, no big lose, it was still neat to see the transaction happen and the big dollars. The transaction might have gone bad but it would never have shipped if that happened. For the last year, I've been really outbid, crazy money, and then find the item relisted a week later. This never happened in the old days but I guess they don't kick you off ebay anymore for too many retracted sales.

I've learned a lot about this model but since I'm already looking all of the time anyway, I still won't find one anytime soon.

I hope you got the Trains Longman! There's a YouTube Video of an estate that had to cut a big hole in the 2nd story to remove a guys massive, yet beautiful, set he left.

11. Longman

Since we don:t know the back story, we don't know if the money is Richards to spend.

Regarding the trains I only intend to keep a few, like one where my Father worked on the design of the real thing..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Networker_(train)

Surprisingly he never had a layout, although he did put on exhibits at shows and write magazine articles, going into great detail on the history of companies and the models they made (sounds familiar?)

So no need to cut any holes in walls, although I did have to buy a block and tackle to get a Meccano dealers chest similar to this out of the loft.
    https://www.google.com/search?clien...46j5j0i22i30.WsLr22yVcFY#imgrc=2uylesjzik08KM:

It went through the hatch with only about an inch to spare. That was an interesting collect only sale. The buyer paid about £500, then turned up with his wife or girlfriend in an old Rover worth about £1000. When I asked him about collecting Meccano, part of his reply was "I've got about a dozen of these chests but have never seen this particular model before"! I was actually really pleased he won the auction as the person bidding against him was in Canada despite me saying "collect only".

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Mister X likes this.
  12. Walkmaniac

Walkmaniac Member

crazy discussion, i am really surprised no-one mentioned the aiwa HP-V99 earphones that formed part of the set.. they are extremely desirable and highly sought after alone.