1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

King Of Rarity

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Machaneus, Apr 7, 2018.

1. stuck-in-time

stuck-in-time Well-Known Member

After seeing more detailed pics, I'm also leaning towards this being a resin cast. A very nice one indeed. On headphone socket B, there's a line on the case located where the black & colored sections meet on a normal WM-2s. I 'm thinking that there probably wouldn't be a line there had this been created from a mold purpose built to make the the entire case in a single mold. The Sony logo also seems to have that pattern line pattern composed of concentric circles. These were originally a pattern grinded on the metal Sony logo insert that's molded into the plastic, not part of the plastic mold.
    Screenshot 2022-12-21 091044.png Screenshot 2022-12-21 091151.png

That being said, if it really is a DIY project, it sure it a good one. I've actually been wondering myself about how nice it would be to cast clear walkmans like this.

As an additional note, from the photos it looks like the "Walkman logo", "Headphone", "Volume", "Tape type" and "Voltage input" are not decals (I can't see any faint borders around them), while the icons for the transport buttons are. I'm thinking that those are printed directly on the plastic using a flatbed printer. You can see that the diagonal and circular lines of the print are rather jagged (like the volume indicator triangle and polarity icons). This may be due to the resolution of the printer, since higher resolution ones are not as easily accessible. Using the same printer would make the transport button labels, which are placed on an angle by design, look unpleasant, and decals were use instead. Quite a thoughtful planning, I'd say.
    Screenshot 2022-12-21 091102.png Screenshot 2022-12-21 091116.png Screenshot 2022-12-21 091139.png

Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
  2. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

t's really a DIY project... and it turned out well I put some example photos.... Note the writing on my piece the liquid rubber reproduces them perfectly with a steady hand and a good fine-tipped brush would be enough to reproduce them faithfully
    Mine was just a test ... I have to improve the technique but I would say that the result is valid

DSC02571a.jpg DSC02572b.jpg DSC02573c.jpg DSC02574d.jpg

3. Mystereo

Mystereo Member

Wow! This is the type of plastic Walkman housing I like. Nice project! Is it possible to produce other colours like grey or neon? I have a Gameboy Pocket in Neon yellow, which looks amazing.

Silver965 likes this.
  4. Mystereo

Mystereo Member

Thanks for your analysis! Now I also think, it’s a DIY project. And for 200€ it has been a fair deal, thinking of the effort to realize it.
    Additionally it doesn’t look, like it’s more than 30 years old ;)
    One question is left, why the red door is also DIY, but who knows…

stuck-in-time likes this.
  5. stuck-in-time

Very nice work @Silver965! One question though, are resin casts like this more brittle? A production model could certainly endure a few drops from the table without much damage.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
    Silver965 likes this.
  6. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

@Mystereo yes, there are various colors that can be added to the resin ... just a few drops are enough to color it,it is found on amazon

@stuck-in-time it depends on how you mix the two-component resin ... if you make it with more resin the result will be a softer and more flexible object ... if you put more catalyst it remains stiffer ... I have not tried to drop it

stuck-in-time likes this.
  7. Mystereo

Mystereo Member

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
    LIVO, Mister X, Patex and 5 others like this.
  8. Mystereo

Mystereo Member

upload_2023-1-9_15-43-24.jpeg
    Can we call this a rarity?

Patex, Silver965, Machaneus and 4 others like this.
  9. stuck-in-time

Very interesting! I wonder what other stuff came bundled with it. I'm guessing its some set of tapes.

10. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

It just keeps getting better!

11. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

i made a couple of walkmans like that clear one years ago,,,,,,,,,stick a tdk limited edition on there and i was made

12. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Does it have a 5 second or 10 second repeat functionality?

13. Mystereo

Mystereo Member

No, it’s a standard WM-10II (like the WM30). Only the window is different.

14. Machaneus

Machaneus Well-Known Member

Very interesting indeed , WM-10II is actually a WM30 destined for the US and Canadian markets , I wonder if the "PALS - Personal Audio Learning System" text is printed on top of the acrylic window or underside , if it's the first maybe it is a promotional item if it's the second it must came from the factory as we see it , since we don't know what "PALS" is , only someone who has used that "system" can enlighten us.

15. Mystereo

Mystereo Member

It’s printed from the underside like the standard windows. I can see no other recognizable difference to a WM30 (Unfortunately I don’t own another WM10II).

Attached Files:

Patex, Emiel and Machaneus like this.
  16. Machaneus

I don't think there are any differences aside the voltage setings for the optional ac power adaptor , though this version might be not the case .
    Some reseach in US and Canadian Sony ads and catalogs and maybe a WM10II/WM30 service manual supplement/update of around 1984 might bring up something (if you haven't done that already).
    Certainly a rarity and a curiosity also , in any case a great find , keep up the good work.:thumbup:

17. Machaneus

This one looks like it was touched by King Midas , it can be seen also on the 1st page 1st picture of this thread at Walkman Room, the small size of it at said picture makes you think that it's a WM-3EX with its gold/champagne color shade but it's not. The photo I'm posting reveals much more details , though still not very clear I can read/guess METAL at the top not EXCELLENT as found on a WM-3EX model and the label next to it reads WM3.
    So this is a WM3 that seems like it is gold plated ! A milestone edition , an anniversary model ? Another walkman mystery to be solved and certainly a king of rarity with looks to match.

wm3.jpg

Patex, Boodokhan, Emiel and 4 others like this.
  18. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

@Machaneus , who owns this?
    most probably this was made in a small quantities for special people.

Machaneus likes this.
  19. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

At the time, it was like A New Gold Dream.

Machaneus likes this.
  20. Machaneus

Hello @Boodokhan , it is located at Sony headquarters , specifically at Walkman Room , there is a possibility that it's unique if it's really gold plated , the answer is probably on that label beside it but unfortunatly it can't be read.
    Sony used to celebrate milestones , an example is the 10 millionth PS1 console manufactured in 1996 with a unique gold plated edition .

ps1g.jpg

Patex and Boodokhan like this.