1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini Stereos and Cool Car Compo Ads

Discussion in 'Brochures, advertising, data & specs...' started by Mister X, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Another ad for the Mitsubishi LT-5V Vertical Turntable from 1980 found over on worldradiohistory.com

Mitsubishi LT-5v 1980.png

2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Spotted on eBay a Hitachi HA-J2 system
    HA-J2.jpg
    Despite being separates it looks as if the two units only work as a pair
    The auction does include the link cable.
    HA-J2 back.jpg HA_J2 AMP.jpg
    Surprising to see two sets of speaker outputs on such as small system.

3. Mister X

Is that a standard DIN that it's missing? My older version is out in the shop so I can't look at it.

4. Mister X

AIWA's from 1983, Comet Ad

Comet 1983 Aiwa.jpg

5. Longman

Like I said the cable was included. There was a rather boring top down photo showing the whole system including the link cable. It looks to be a six pin DIN. The sixth pin is probably used to send power from the amp to the tuner.

p.s. I was looking at the Comet adverts thinking the systems don't look very Mini when I noticed they call them Midi. I doubt if there was any official definition but to me, Minis are smaller than an LP sleeve. As the Sony FH range demonstrates that doesn't preclude having a turntable, but does preclude an LP fitting inside it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  6. Mister X

I read it too fast, thought there was no cable. I'm with you Longman on the dividing line, Midi = album size, Mini = smaller.

The top part of this ad is cut off but it's still cool from 1980 the Mitsubishi System 4?

Mitsubishi 1980.jpg

7. Mister X

AIWA Series 50 from 1980

AIWA 50 1980.jpg

8. Longman

Like the Sony FH series this Pioneer X series blurs the line between Midi and Mini.
    Peoneer PL-X.jpg Pioneer Pl_x  out.jpg
    Unlike the Panasonic SJ series these weren't toys. The PL-X50 turntable came with a highly regarded Moving Coil cartridge.

Mister X likes this.
  9. Mister X

I don't know Longman, I had something similar given to me years ago, I think I tried it and it went to the donation pile pretty quickly. Anytime I see the double arrows on the tape deck, it's usually entry-level 80's Pioneer.

10. Elite-ist

Elite-ist Well-Known Member

Mitsubishi DA-L70 & LT-70

I bought this unit some time ago at a fall-season Garage Sale at a vintage audio store I routinely deal with. I bought it for $50 and recently bought and installed a new stylus for the cartridge on the LT-70 linear-tracking turntable. It has a seven cassette changer and AM/FM radio/receiver with 30 wpc @ 8 ohm. It didn't come with the matching speakers, but I might find a nice pair of SS-L70s down the road.

20220515_150455 (1).jpg

20220515_152400 (1).jpg

20220515_152322 (1).jpg

Nando.

Mister X and Papa like this.
  11. Longman

It seems most manufacturers had one or more similar drawer loading turntable.
    I'm guessing the cassette deck is similar to this one.

That seems to be unique to Mitsubishi who were never a big player in consumer electronics outside of the TV and VCR market here.

Elite-ist and Mister X like this.
  12. Mister X

I don't have any sliding turntables, I think they suffered like linear trackers with hard grease on the tray gears. Some of the engineering under the cover is really amazing Cool Mitsubishi Nando, some of the first generation (early 80's) all-in-ones were so unique and super-hard to find. Since people will always like music, these treasures should survive a long time.

Elite-ist likes this.
  13. Mister X

Let's make an exception for another cool midi system, this 1981 Braun is somewhat rare and very collectible, it must have one of the first sliding cassette doors, there weren't alot.

Braun Audio-Canada-1981-12.png

Elite-ist likes this.
  14. Mister X

A neat looking Road Star Car Compo from 1981, I think they only went to Canada?

Road Star Audio-Canada-1981-12.png

Elite-ist likes this.
  15. Mister X

The Kraco Designer Series looks promising from 1981. There are some very expensive models on this page, it looks like the Marantz is the only digital tuner.

Audio-Canada-1981-12.png

Elite-ist likes this.
  16. Elite-ist

My JVC DC-7 portable also has a sliding tray for the linear tracking turntable.

https___hosting.photobucket.com_albums_xx322_vintagevet_JVC%20DC-7_.highres_DSC04741.jpg

Nando.

Papa and Mister X like this.
  17. Mister X

I posted the photo with Ted Danson holding his DC-7, that thing is huge! Do you have a Sharp VZ-2000 to set it next to?

18. Elite-ist

No, I don't have a JVC VZ-2000. Considerd buying one a few years ago. Might have a photo of it.

Last week, I bought a nice Technics mini-system at the local thrift store comprised of linear tracking turntable, tuner, amplifier and cassette deck. Then bought a pair of Toshiba bookshelf speakers. I have a workmate, who is looking for a small starter system for his daughter as a Christmas present. This might be a good candidate for her. I don't usually turn over finds so quickly as I like to use the stereo equipment for a bit before finding another home for them.

Nando.

Mister X likes this.
  19. Mister X

I found my Panasonic/Technics Mini at the thrift about 15 years ago, it was sitting on a counter and was going to be trashed because it didn't fully work. I begged and talked them into selling it, they insisted on writing "No Returns" on the sales slip. Now a days the Goodwill gets big money even for non-working units but back then they used to toss them out.

Elite-ist likes this.
  20. Elite-ist

I connected up the Technics mini system, today. All seems good.

20220917_164234.jpg

Nando.

Mister X and Papa like this.