1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini Stereos and Cool Car Compo Ads

Discussion in 'Brochures, advertising, data & specs...' started by Mister X, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Sharp VZ-3000 from 1982

Sharp VZ-3000 1982.png

Philip Taylor likes this.
  2. Mister X

Mitsubishi M-01 from 1980

Mitsubishi M-01 1980.png
    Mitsubishi M-01 1980 2.png

Papa and Philip Taylor like this.
  3. Mister X

Check out this cool Pioneer Car Stereo from 1985, the tape deck is officially gone, now it's CD!

Pioneer Car Stereo 1985.png

lupogtiboy likes this.
  4. Mister X

More of a Midi but still very nice looking from 1985, the Dual

Dual 1985.png

5. Mister X

Wega from 1985, I love the chocolate brown, different but still really nice looking. Is it still made by AIWA?

Wega 1981.png

Elite-ist likes this.
  6. Mister X

Pioneer KPH-838 from 1978

1978 Playboy.png

Elite-ist and Papa like this.
  7. Mister X

Mitsubishi was a pretty big player in the mini component world but I barely remember them. Check out this system, so beautiful, I think there's even an analog VU meter on the reciever. I'd love to see what this look like installed in a car. Oddly the tape deck is kind of unassuming.
    From 1978

Mitshubishi High-Fidelity-1978-12 pdf.png

8. Mister X

I do not remember JVC having a big footprint in car stereos, am I wrong? Here's a cool ad from 1983, I wish the print quality was better.

Screenshot 2021-10-20 at 23-40-20 Page 16 Advertisements Column 1.png

9. lupogtiboy

lupogtiboy Well-Known Member

I bought this Panasonic car Compo from a guy on Facebook, probably a year ago now. He was building a replica of the Lotus Esprit from You Only Live Twice (the brownie coloured one with the rear mounted ski racks), and this radio was in the car when he got it. I paid £40 for it, upon testing it, all works perfectly, even the tape deck! I plan to make a box to put it all in one-day for a kind-of boombox type thing!

Attached Files:

Mister X likes this.
  10. Mister X

Clarion had some really nice car stereos, they were super popular here, here's some goodies from 1980. As far as I know they didn't have any boomboxes except maybe one oddball and only one "Walkman Clone."

Clarion 1980.jpg

Radio Raheem likes this.
  11. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

There is a name i have not heard in years, keep it up mister x, if everyone was like you this forum would be overloaded with info, great stuff

Mister X likes this.
  12. Mister X

Thanks for the input Radio! Glad you like it, I've always been a research nut, I do lots of it before buying anything. I'm surprised we don't have more members posting this kind of stuff. In the past there were some prolific posters like Seb and Retro but they're long gone. I enjoy doing research for the beer and boombox thread after a late hockey game, the magazines are fun to scan through and look at the ads. I've thought about posting the cars of the era, there's some classics, but it takes a lot of time.

Radio Raheem and Longman like this.
  13. Mister X

Toshiba Aurex from 1979

Toshiba Aurex Micro System 1979.jpg

14. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I can see each time you find a new newspaper archive. I will have to look if there are any in the U.K. Smash Hits was great but was aimed at a specific demographic, few of which would have been old enough to have a car.

The adverts did work. In 1973 my mother bought her Sanyo Radio Cassette as a result of a tiny (about 2 column inches) advert from Sound Selection advertising just that one model as a special purchase.

Mister X likes this.
  15. Mister X

It's like digging for gold, and it's kind of fun. Print ads used to be driving force for marketing, I used to love getting Computer Shopper, an oversized magazine that was 90% ads and about an inch thick. I'd scan all of the computer hardware and dream about all of the cool add-on cards. Of course they were way too expensive (about the same price as a nice boombox or Walkman) but I did find some 2nd hand stuff over the years. Val-Surf Ads in Thrasher were also a must read, great lay-out with a ton of skateboarding equipment, they pretty much set the going price for equipment.

The special audio purchases were the best, we had a lot of "loss leaders" here that got the electronic guys in trouble, it was against the law. I did buy a decent Sony Reciever in the 90's and it came with a ton of stuff including a basic speaker package. I bought it just because of that, it got me going instead of waiting for a speaker sale.

There's a stereo magazine in the UK, maybe What HiFi? One of the old members used to post reviews from them, they'd be a good source, I brought a few pages back to life in the archeaology threads.

You've posted a ton of stuff, who knows, between us we may end up posting anything available.

16. Mister X

AIWA from 1981, pricing is AUD. It looks like the 30 series is 30 watts per channel, the 50 series is 40 watts, and I'm pretty sure the 22 series is 50 watts. I'm not sure what the older 10 series is but they look a little smaller than the 22.

Aiwa 30 1981.jpg

lupogtiboy likes this.
  17. Mister X

AIWA 22 System from September 1980, it's posted at 12 watts a channel which makes more sense, the amp is tiny.

Desert Sun 5 September 1980 Aiwa 22.png

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    lupogtiboy likes this.
  18. Mister X

Mitsubishi Microcomponent System from 1979, same equipment three slightly different ads. I wonder what the little speakers are?

Mitsubishi 1979 3.png
    Mitsubishi 1979 2.png
    Mitsubishi 1979 1.png

19. Mister X

Another Mitsubishi Ad from 1979

Mitsubishi 1979 4.png

20. Mister X

Another Technics Mini-System, the Jacket from 1983, how can you not love the big VU meters?

Technics Jacket 1983.png