1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My nicers walkmans and discmans kept on display

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by Thomas Monteith, Nov 1, 2022.

1. rcpilot23

rcpilot23 Active Member

Hey Richard they sound great.

One of my Sony watchmans is the Sony Colour Watchman FDM-330 modular design which I have 1 x working out of 3, they have the common issue of back light failure and LCD mask turns yellow, but my 3rd one is working great and no yellow colour.

I have restored a number of Sony watchmans TVs and I do have 2 x Sony Indextron CRT tv's in need of a major restore. Lots of cap leakage in both. Dam Sony for using the brown Elna caps in these.
    I have also restore a number of Sony Video Walkmans including 2 x GV-8 the first model from 1988 which are very rare to have working (bad cap leakage mainly on the LCD backboard.
    Also have 3 x GV-9, 3 x GV-100, 2 x GV-200 and a GV-300 and 3 x GV-500 models all fully working. Plus a GVD-800 digital 8 model. Lots of fun to fix (well mostly) :)

Mister X likes this.
  2. rcpilot23

rcpilot23 Active Member

Here is a short video of my Sony FDM-330 Colour Watchman 1988

Emiel and Mister X like this.
  3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Wow, that Watchman is cool. I've got several of the standard issue models, for years people were giving them away or they were a few dollars at the thrift store.

4. Thomas Monteith

Thomas Monteith Active Member

That watchman looks great,unfortunately mines is dead.
    i would be grateful and would obviously pay to get it repaired.

5. rcpilot23

rcpilot23 Active Member

Which model is you watchman?

6. Thomas Monteith

Thomas Monteith Active Member

Sorry,the FDM-330

7. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Hopefully you can get if fixed, www.VideoKarma.org has some great info, they might be able to help if nothing works out over here.

8. rcpilot23

rcpilot23 Active Member

The Sony FDM-330 like in my video is very difficult to fix because it is very difficult to find a working LCD display.

Most have turned yellow from sun exposure but if someone out there is very talented they might be able to replace the front filter that has turned yellow but it is glued on :(

Also the back lights usually fail as it has a fluro tube.

I had to buy 3 to get 1 working.

Usually the tuner section and battery section are ok

So my working unit is wrapped up and in my dark cupboard when not in use :)

My other dead units are for show and on display. One of the faulty units turns on for a few seconds then the lcd turns off. Fluro circuit or the fluro tube have failed plus the lcd is yellow too.

I have another Colour watchman FDL-320 model with the same yellow lcd filter issue which otherwise is working great. So avoid buying this model.

My other colour wathmans are all working great inc all my Sony Video walkmans which are colour tv's too :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    Mister X likes this.