1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New WM-DD center gear prototype is here (EDIT - final version is here)

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by mihokm, Dec 11, 2016.

1. ssi

ssi New Member

Hi All

I have decided to abandon the my Walkman DC2 project. I have put it all back together and it plays fine, just rewind is really bad and fast forward is bad. I feel that more messing could end in the unit not working at all. If I correct fast forward rewind goes wrong,etc.

I think the unit purchased in 1984 by my brother is probably worn out and replacing the centre gear has just made it a bit quieter. Previously rewind did not work at all but fast forward was fine so on balance I had a useful expereince trying to repair it and am just releaved it still works although I have not actually improved it!

Best Wishes

2. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

You should send it to a qualified tech to fix it for you, if you want to do that? There are people on this forum that can fix it for you but it will not be cheap. You cam PM techs on this site and you can get it fixed.

3. ssi

ssi New Member

Hi TooCool4. I may get it professionally repaired in the future. To be honest I do not use it much, I just want to keep it going because I like old tech. I generally use full size tape decks at home.

Best wishes

4. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

I'm with you in the getting it going again band wagon. Having bought a few "that just needs belt" for repair Walkman its always annoying to find the belt doesn't resolve the issues. Just pulled apart a WM-6D did the rubber kit and found a piece of loose plastic which had snapped off the play/head engagement arm. Fixing that may be near impossible as will be finding the part from a supplier. Having got this far you will not rest until you get it working again!

5. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

WM-D6...

6. Walkgirl

Walkgirl Member

How did I miss this?, where can I purchase a few and at what cost? :iconconfused::hmmm:redface:

7. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

You've probably got the answer now about the CG kit for your DD's and by way of completing my saga of the D6 the journey ends. Finally after an IC (CP602) rebuild from a friend the speed problem is fixed, output cranked up +4VU over specs too and it's humming. $50 and 50 hours labour but it lives on!

Attached Files:

8. speedy2.0

speedy2.0 Active Member

Walkgirl likes this.
  9. Walkgirl

Walkgirl Member

thanks!:biggrin:

10. stereomecha99

stereomecha99 Active Member

Found this at the best time possible, just ordered a DD!

11. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Somebody is selling Marian's DD gear on Yahoo Japan . Congratulation to Marian that his gear is an excellent work.
    This seller made a mistake and explained that he changed his WM-2 gear with this, which it is possible but wrong thing to do
    WM-2 and WM-5 gears usually do not break and different than this gear. You cannot place Marian's gear on WM-2 or WM-5 since these 2 models do not have the metal disc to support the ring.
    and if you decide to install a complete DD central gear on WM-2 or WM-5 it is going to be a problem at some point. WM-2 or 5 gear is bigger than rest of DD series gear

upload_2019-12-4_9-57-2.png

Jorge likes this.
  12. matic777

matic777 Member

Correct me if I`m wrong, but I think that only the smaller, magnetic gear is bigger on DD series, not the main central gear, so it can be installed on WM2 if you also change the reel gear ...

13. Boodokhan

1- The central gear diameter in WM-2 is different than DD series gear
    2- Take up gear diameter in WM-2 is different than DD take up gear
    3- as you mentioned magnetic gear diameter is different as well

If you need I can open a DD and a WM-2 to show you these differences

Jorge likes this.
  14. matic777

matic777 Member

No need to open the walkmans just to prove me. I believe you, you are obviously more experienced than I am, but I could swear that I once tried the DD gear in the WM2 and all that was different was magnetic gear (and ofc. the adjacent big gear).

If the WM2 central gear is indeed smaller, doesn`t that mean that FF, REW and capstan gear should be bigger, since both walkmans use almost identical mechanics ?

15. stuck-in-time

stuck-in-time Well-Known Member

I'm kinda curious about this as well, do you know how much the difference is in mm?

16. Boodokhan

I am at work right now but over the weekend will open a regular DD walkman and a WM-2 or 5 to explain the differences with photos and exact measurements.

as far as i remember WM-2 gear is thinner with bigger diameter. and Capstan is also different (to support the belt at the base)
    I will post the exact dimensions in few days

stuck-in-time and Jorge like this.
  17. alh

alh New Member

The central gear from WM-2 is great for DD-33, I repaired my player, but you also need to transfer the magnetic gear and the winding gear, while the winding gear rests on the engine frame and the engine frame needs to be finalized. I also have two WM-2 (bought in Japan) with a central gear like the DD series, maybe this is a later release, I'm absolutely sure that I am the first who disassembled them.

18. Luc P

Luc P New Member

Hello,
    I own a DD2 now for 33 years (18th birthday present).
    I'm a qualified technician in audio and video.
    Like all these models the center gear was broken. I ordered the new gear via your eBay store and replaced it successfully.
    But still there is a problem in play mode: when I push the play button,the mechanism starts to play,but shuts off almost immediately.
    When I keep pressing the play button for a few seconds,the mechanism doesn't shut off,and keeps playing normally.
    What could this be ?

19. Boodokhan

20. Luc P

Luc P New Member

Problem solved.
    I had to repair the slider because of a broken jut at the spring.
    I repaired this with a new metal jut,but the slider couldn't move totally to the end then,and couldn't make a proper lock.
    After a little modification my WM-DD2 is fully functional again.:yahoo