Panasonic XBS mod

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Honomo, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

and I know .. that many Argentines are of Italian origin .... As for the Geloso brand, here too there are old reel tape recorders ... amplifiers ... Tube radios .... the markets of this are full ... personally I have never owned one ... but never say never

Machaneus and Honomo like this.
  2. WheelyPanamax2

WheelyPanamax2 Active Member

Welcome! I am very impressed with your adjustment to the bass!

Honomo likes this.
  3. Honomo

Honomo New Member

Thanks! I wish someone else could try it too! And tell me the results of course!!

4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Honomo likes this.
  5. Machaneus

Machaneus Well-Known Member

Geloso brings fond memories from my youth. In the early '70s as a young boy I bought at flea market a Geloso G256 a working mini tape recorder that sadly was sacrificed for learning purposes during my "how it works" period of my life. Pictures don't do justice to this beautiful little machine.

At about the same time I was fascinated when I found a bunch of "Bollettino Tecnico Geloso" issues from the late '50s to early '60s , they looked vintage to me even then , maybe it was the printing with B/W photos , the thin brittle paper or the no nonsense technical script that even today they have a special charm , to my eyes at least.
    ΙΖΟΛΑ (IZOLA) was a famous Greek household appliances brand that was selling rebranded Geloso products , I still have the ΙΖΟΛΑ G540 (Geloso G540) tape recorder.
    ΙΖΟΛΑ was founded in 1930 closed in the '90s and resurrected in 2015 with production today in Poland.

The founder Giovanni Geloso was born in .... but it will be a spoiler if @Honomo and @Silver965 have not read this :
    https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovanni_Geloso

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    Silver965 and Honomo like this.
  6. Honomo

Honomo New Member

I didn’t knew he was born in my country!!! :D What a surprise!!! Well, I got into this forum to learn electronics but it seems i am also learning history!:)

Yesss!! This is the model i know!! This one is famous in my country because some musicians, back in the sixties, modded it to be a guitar amplifier, with some kind of mild and warm overdrive...
    In this video, this guy shows you what i’m talking about!! I always wanted to buy one an perform this mod, wich is very simple, but i didn’t find the proper moment to do it ( yes, i also play electric guitar and when i have time, i make effects pedals for guitars too, but that is for another forum i think!!)

Silver965 and Machaneus like this.
  7. Mister X

What a beautiful little tape player Machaneus, it's hard to tell if the old designers were just winging it or if it came naturally. There's very few consumer items today that look that cool.

Honomo and Machaneus like this.
  8. Mister X

That reminds me of my broke college days when somebody showed me how to run a guitar through the tape deck headphone jack!

Honomo likes this.
  9. Silver965

Mister X, Honomo and Machaneus like this.
  10. Silver965

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    Mister X, Honomo and Machaneus like this.
  11. Machaneus

Machaneus Well-Known Member

Wonderful site @Silver965 , spend a few hours in there today actually a travel back in time . The first issue is from February 1932 !

Indeed , the fact that Geloso G255 was made in 1955 with a plastic shell may seem normal today but plastics was a relatively new technology back then , it was quite an achievement , G255 is also pretty heavy.
    That same year Sony had problems with the plastic shell of its first transistor radio the TR52 , it was the last minute they realized the problem and TR52 was replaced with the TR55 and disaster was prevented , the story under "The "UN Building" Radio" chapter below ,
    https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/CorporateInfo/History/SonyHistory/1-06.html

Silver965 likes this.
  12. Silver965

Like other of your very interesting historical posts :applause:thumbsup:

Machaneus likes this.
  13. henrypal

henrypal Member

Sr. Honomo, seguramente este incremento de bajos, que tenían diversos nombre según la marca, eran debido a entre otras cosas, a que la música de aquellos años "Disco" tenias muchos bajos, y también que los auriculares de esos años no eran tan buenos como los que usas ahora, era una forma de mejorar la tecnología que había en esa época de allí este sistema que "enhance" la señal. Por cierto tengo dos Panasonic RQ-NX60 y un Panasonic RQ-SX35 con esta forma de "enhance" S-XBS

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    Honomo likes this.