Show us your home setup

Discussion in 'Home Audio Gear Chat Area' started by TooCooL4, Dec 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 19lexicon78

19lexicon78 Active Member

2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Did you get all of this equipment 19lexicon78? I think those are speakers, what ever they are they look amazing!

3. 19lexicon78

@Mister X
    always wanted those. it would be my favo setup.

Mister X likes this.
  4. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

MBL setup... you can always spot it during the Hi-End Shows! A dozen of 200+lbs Dudes permanently glued to ALL the available seats in the room! (Oops, they all look like me!)
    I am not a big fan of those boring Boulder amps (but $500k Naim Audio monsters are on my 'to buy' list...) but MBL Radialstrahler 101 X-treme does sound AWESOME, if you manage to block the sweet-spot-sweats from all those other Dudes in the room...

@19lexicon78 may I ask you to be a Doll and post your own Home Setup here... Not your Dream Setup!?!

5. 19lexicon78

love the boulder amps, good sound. never heard naim audio
    my setup,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

autoreverser and Jorge like this.
  6. 19lexicon78

my cdp buddies
    have also another 2nd sony cdp/s-3000 combo. should sell those, just like the rest, only keep the studer.
    upload_2021-8-14_21-6-3.jpeg

Mister X and Jorge like this.
  7. Willng001

Willng001 New Member

Cool thread! Here's my setup, Ayre with Focal Diablo Utopia standmount monitors. It's a small, moderately acoustically treated room with a wool floor rug, traps on the side walls for 1st reflections and GIK Acoustics absorbers behind the listening chair. 20210927_225558.jpg 20210927_225739.jpg 20210927_225940.jpg 20210927_230003.jpg

Attached Files:

Jorge, Emiel, TooCooL4 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Mister X

Nice! The Rangers were my fall-back team, our team never goes far so my transplanted NJ Buddy and I would watch them all the time. It was pretty cool when local-boy Stepan made the team and they had some good years.

9. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Nice setup Willng001

Willng001 and Jorge like this.
  10. Willng001

Willng001 New Member

Thanks! I'm a Rangers die-hard. New Yorker now living in DC. It's unconditional love, despite the last few years.

Thanks! Brings me to an audio happy place.

Mister X likes this.
  11. Mister X

We got Zuccarello when they cleaned house, he's a great player but the coach has a hard time matching him with line-mates.

Do you have a TT or cassette deck?

12. Willng001

Willng001 New Member

I should've realized that you're a Wild fan (location: Minnesota). Zucc's a great player. A real feel-good story because he almost didn't make it in the NHL. His first stint with the Rangers was uneventful. Glen Sather gave him a second chance by re-signing him, and he took off after that. He can be kind of a conundrum to put on a line, he doesn't play the fastest but he's a play maker who is shifty and has great vision but likes to slow the play down.

I never dabbled in vinyl unfortunately. I used to have a tape deck a long, long time ago. It was a Bic T-2M, a poor man's Nakamichi. lol

Jorge and Mister X like this.
  13. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@Willng001 - given your predicament, as evident from The Stereo, you should at least audition a turntable spinning a decently pressed vinyl!!! I re-entered 'analog' crowd about 15 years ago, when learned that Tchaikovsky's 5th under Mravinsky got re-issued. LP got purchased first, Linn Sondek LP12 a few weeks later. Over the years my Sondek got upgraded into a $20k Ultimate Beast and it bettered my best digital front-end each and every time (not to brag, since at this moment I am totally penniless, but I had the best Digital there is)

Ayre and Focal - I just LOVE them both! but never had a chance to hear in combination... Since Focal got into the same ownership as my fav. Naim Audio (as in my Avatar) I had a mis-pleasure to hear the combination more than once - always flat and un-involving! I think one of my local dealers in Santa Monica might be able to put this setup you have for me for a listening, it looks (theoretically) interesting...

14. Willng001

Willng001 New Member

Thanks Jorge! Haha, I grew up in the 80s, so my music coming-of-age experience was with tapes and then CDs. I think Focal and Ayre get along together -- at least for me; Ayre takes a little bit of that upper frequency sting out of the Focal, tames it just enough but preserves that beryllium top end clarity, and Ayre still retains that liquid midrange, tube-like solid state sound. I've seen endless comments on the web from analog/vinyl lovers that Ayre sounds closest to tubes out of all the solid state options but with solid state's PRAT. What was the digital front-end that you had?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    Jorge likes this.
  15. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

I had quite a few in my all-NaimAudio stereo at home, auditioned a lot more at my local hi-end dealers. I must have mentioned CD/SACD spinners which I actually owned at another thread here:
    http://stereo2go.com/forums/threads/best-cdm-digital-out-cdp.7400/#post-54059
    Ayre C-5 I Loved very much, but at that time I was going crazy about getting Linn Akurate player which just came out, so I returned C-5 and bought Akurate instead. Then traded Akurate for McIntosh (that was $10k to $3k 'downgrade' with some credit from the dealer which went towards Linn Sondek!) and enjoyed a few months of 'fame' when our house-guests actually noticed my Stereo: McIntosh looks absolutely stunning!!! ;)
    In the end I settled onto Wadia 781i which has an option to be set for 'analog-like, fluid sound' or 'PRAT-friendly digital' and being who I am, an incurable Flat-Earth-er I set her up for my favorite tuning. Then I realized that SACDs on Wadia, even $70-a-pop from Esoteric, do not sound as good as decent CDs played thru my Naim CDS3.... that is when I joined this fine S2G forum, kept spending my 'allowances' on LPs and enjoyed all the new crap coming up daily streamed from laptop to Wadia DAC :)
    here is my stereo before everything went up in flames:
    L1080368.JPG

you can see customized Sony D-90 with Sennheiser HD-600 for when I was not allowed to make too much 'noise' in the house o_O

autoreverser and Willng001 like this.
  16. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

my current speakers and probably my last, I'm sure most have seen my multitude of amps etc, excuse DSCN2978[1].JPG the mess lads

17. TooCooL4

Radio Raheem, how many speakers :omg:

Jorge and Radio Raheem like this.
  18. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@Radio Raheem - you should have a Lot of air going towards your ‘sweet spot’, I imagine spinning some Pink Floyd gets you into their concerts mode… Wish I Were There!:)
    Not much 3-D Imaging, myguess, for that treat you have to have @TooCooL4 setup,… but you have to compromise when on the budget under a $100ko_O

Mister X and Radio Raheem like this.
  19. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

Jeorge with the greatest respect, the place where i live isn't worth 100k lol

i wish you were all here lads

toocool can i ask how much you're speakers were my friend

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    Jorge likes this.
  20. TooCooL4

Radio Raheem they are only cheap £5000 but i plan in upgrading them when i get round to it. The one i wanted at the time was the next one up at the time it was £10000 and i did not have the money. The latest equivalent is now £18000, but i still want and will get them at some point.

Jorge likes this.