Show us your home setup

Discussion in 'Home Audio Gear Chat Area' started by TooCooL4, Dec 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Philip Taylor

Philip Taylor Active Member

MisterX

Thanks I will try that

2. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

it has to be something of your browser/antivirus/computer...

3. Niteshooter

Niteshooter Member

Might be a Stylus treatment. I used to use Stylelast from the folks that made Last products on mine. Can't find my bottle, it's hiding somewhere on my workbench but did find some other things I used to use for maintenance. The TDK head demagnetizer was an interesting piece, somewhere I have an older school handheld demagnetizer/wand. The Alsop was handy when you needed to clean a car cassette deck.

I actually don't think I ever used that LAST kit, I own a Nitty Gritty record vac system though my fluid is long outdated, granted I suspect it was just deionized water that you applied to your record.

cleaners.jpg

autoreverser and Mister X like this.
  4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

It's funny how some of the 40 year old cleaning products are in better condition than the equipment they were supposed to clean.

Niteshooter likes this.
  5. Niteshooter

Niteshooter Member

Yup, the Alsop kit got lots of use in a number of car cassette decks. Granted I am now going to drive myself crazy trying to figure out where I hid that bottle of LAST stylus preservative......

6. Mister X

I've stashed a bunch of the cleaning accessories as well. The cassette tapes are nice if your in a jam with an auto cassette deck but most of time I just use swabs and IPA. Last is still in business but it looks like they make cleaning fluids now. I think the Last you have is meant to put on a record and play it wet? I didn't have much exposure to that system but it's pretty interesting.

7. Niteshooter

Niteshooter Member

Ha! Found my Stylast! Now if I can only find my glasses that I lost in the basement a couple of months ago.....

stylast.jpg

8. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

update on turntables: Transrotor (J.A.Mitchell) Golden Shadow 1977

56693085469__97A2B859-0A2C-4EC1-A75E-DFE8F6D096BF.JPG 56693081641__B8F36365-FCD2-4B0F-ABE3-7612072FB349.JPG

i don't like the feet, will have to replace them with something more efficient - neither are the filt-spots original (i think it's supposed to be cork),
    well, only got it the day before yesterday - it'll improve over x-mas, i guess

Mister X likes this.
  9. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

My god that is a beautiful turntable tho...

10. autoreverser

thx mate - check here (from legendary movie "clockwork orange"):

4b11b4ad4692dda9d9650ef277b92b9f.jpg

to be honest: my thorens 124 are better, but not as stylish ;-)

Boodokhan likes this.
  11. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Not sure how heavy the turntable is? But you can try Finite Element, i use the Cerabase Classic under my turntable.

Finite Element Cerabase Classic.jpg

12. autoreverser

yeah, i know those - they're very nice but for my opinion a bit to expensive (basic set of 4 roundabout € 700,- or do you know a cheaper - i mean much cheaper - source ?

13. Mister X

Sweet table autoreverser, that movie was etched into my young brain and like most Kubrick Movies, the sets are just as facinating as the story. That whole shopping for records and playing his music was a personal goal before I had a revenue source.

14. TooCooL4

Yes just a bit pricey, no i don't know if you can get them cheaper.
    Like i was saying how heavy is your turntable, the Classics are for very heavy things but the Compact are better for different weight. Even the compacts are €600 for 4 but you only really need 3.

Have a look here for the weight they can and effective under, scroll down to Efficiency.

15. autoreverser

thanks mate, the weight isn't that high, "only" roundabout 5kg (my thorens are much more heavy).

right now i've sorta refurbished the original ones. they do their job but i want something better. i'm going to try some supensions for military two-way radios of kinda the same weight this weekend, if they work i'll hav'em chromed...

16. autoreverser

ha, just realized that the "finite elemente" is only 80 k's away from me - i'm going to got there !

17. Mister X

It looks like something that could be cranked out in a few hours on a lathe.

autoreverser likes this.
  18. autoreverser

if you mean the Transrotor: in fact it does !

i had it dismounted completely today, cleaning main-bearing (and areplacing lubrificant) - the whole thing is sorta home-made stuff, the bearing is a flimsy thing, compared to the Thorens 124, everything is so filigrane etc., but nevertheless: the soundexperiance is quite amazing, and i haven't adjusted the arm properly yet.
    right now enjoying some nice beer and a (the first) Cinematic Orcestra. killer...

19. Mister X

Probably the Transrotor could but you'd need a larger lathe for the platter. I was thinking those feet could be cranked out, I wonder if they have fluid or they adjust by threads. If I remember they didn't make the Transrotor for long but another company bought up the tooling and made parts for a while? I bet back in the day, ARKAY walked by a bunch of them.

I finally put a stereo on heavy-duty home racking. It's 4' x 1.5' per shelf and I'm not so nervous about everything crashing down since I have about 125 lbs per shelf. My issue is that my room is not so big and speaker placement is a problem for nice stereo separation. Luckily I'm more into the equipment side for various reasons and don't have to worry about great sonics at this point but maybe down the road things might change.

20. TooCooL4

Mister X no fluids, they are threaded for adjustment. Read a review here from Positive Feedback.

Everything in audio is expensive, just because they can it would be nice if they were cheaper.
    If you think you can make something similar that performs as well or better, you should make it as you would make loads of money out of it.

With regard to your comment “Luckily I'm more into the equipment side for various reasons and don't have to worry about great sonics”, I am the opposite it’s all the music and sound quality.