Show us your home setup

Discussion in 'Home Audio Gear Chat Area' started by TooCooL4, Dec 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

I had to wait 4 weeks as they are made to order, this thing is a beast and it's designed to drive platters of up to 60KG.
    A pic of my old motor and speed controller middle and left, new on right. This new motor well worth the money, I am re-discovering my records all over again.

Motors.jpg

autoreverser, Jorge and Mister X like this.
  2. Philip Taylor

Philip Taylor Active Member

Wow what a set up I hope to do the same with my Linn in the future finding space is the problem

3. TooCooL4

Philip Taylor I know you say space is a problem, so I don’t know how practical my advice will be for you.
    You have spent a fair amount on your system, it would be nice to really hear more of what that setup can do.

Firstly you need to get those speakers away from those glass patio doors into a different location, glass is a no no. If you cannot move the speakers to a different location then you need to move it way into the room.

Secondly you need to move those sofa’s out of in between the speakers.

Be prepared for a revelation of the sound of your system, if you can get the speakers way into the room. You will not want to put the speakers near a wall again, so you have been warned. :nwink:

Philip Taylor likes this.
  4. Philip Taylor

Thanks for the advice. I am grateful for the trouble you have taken and I am in full agreement with you but my wife will have a fit Ifigenia move the speakers out and as this is our main lounge we have two of these sofas and more chairs as well Also that is the only power point available so I am very limited with the space I was listening to some of my favourite records of the seventies including Led Zep II. Whole Lotta Love and I noticed there was a lack of stereo effect I will try and pull out the speakers to the front of the sofa so they are ahead of it but more than that is not really possible , the best thing I can say is it is not a patio window to the floor but a long normal double glazed window so there is a wall below which may help a bit. I have nowhere else in the house to put the hi Fi so I must grin and bear it I am afraid but many thanks for your comments Philip

5. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I was looking at online information on that motor, I love companies that geek out on specialized equipment, there's real passion there.

6. TooCooL4

Okay no problem Philip Taylor got to keep the wife happy. :thumbsup2:

I don’t know how far away you sit from the speakers at the moment? I can see you in the pic, is that how far you sit?
    As an experiment maybe when your wife is out, pull out the speakers to about where that coffee table is making sure you are sitting further back than the distance between the speakers. Well not nearer to the speakers than the speakers are apart anyway, then play your Led Zep again.

Let us know what you think? I think you may be surprised at how things will sound.

7. TooCooL4

Mister X they do work everything to the nth degree. I met the main man (Rainer) at the Munich High End Show and I have a long talk with him as I had read about the motor before. He showed me everything and explained it to me, I told him when I am ready for a new motor I would contact him.

Did you see on their website the turntable, tonearms and other bit they do? Their tonearms are over €100000 and the turntable are over €400000, I did have a listen to the top end turntable at the show.

8. Philip Taylor

I have pulled the speakers out so they are just in front of the sofa but the right one needs more cabling which I cannot do as I am disabled I am awaiting the Dealer to instal a new Phone stage amp which I hope will improve things as the one I have at the minute is old and was not expensive when he says it is available I will ask him to look at the whole setup and spend some money on better and longer cabling which will allow me to move the speakers further out as you suggest. However as for doing it when my wife is out ,that may be some time away as she is shielding as she has severe rheumatoid arthritis and has no immune system with the medication she is on. I will just have to close the double doors and padlock myself in while I do It !,,,

9. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I'd love to see their shop, everything looks machined and heavy duty with more of an engineered look and not refined, cool stuff.

10. TooCooL4

Philip Taylor maybe do the move with the wife around, you can both sit-down and enjoy it together. Who knows she may like the sound and let you leave it out.

11. TooCooL4

Mister X, I have been invited to stay over and see their operation next time I am in Germany. With everything going on at the moment, I don't know the next time I will be in Germany.

12. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

My present setup until the house is rebuilt and I will be able/allowed to invest more:

IMG_3010sm.jpg
    Naim Uniti Star + SL-1200 into PJL Electronics Retro Edition 12AX7 phono + Linn 5140 'Espek'... Sounds decent, considering the limitations of the room and orders from The Boss. Linns pulled out into the room as far as was allowed by (you've already guessed!) The Boss, bass ports plugged by racquetballs to give some semblance of 'hi-end'... Quite listenable, unless you push it too far into 'classical' corner of music. Ligetti, Stravinsky, even Ravel/Debussy - O-K,... late Beethoven quartets - No! (but symphonies sound presentable, go figure!) Anything Rock/Jazz/Alternative sounds pretty convincing, so overall no complains from me :)

Unlike my previous $20k Linn Sondek LP12 with Naim ARO, this Technics I had to align myself: fun!!! it was strange that the most comprehensive How-To guide was YouTubed by my fav living audiophile Mike Fremer
    IMG_0931sm.jpg IMG_0937sm.jpg
    IMG_0941sm.jpg IMG_0950sm.jpg

Room Treatment is out of question: only Hi-End Art by The Boss (allois.com) is allowed ;) Maybe I will be able to sneak some absorbers behind stupid tapestry, when Boss is away...

autoreverser and Radio Raheem like this.
  13. TooCooL4

Jorge well you got to keep the music going somehow even while waiting for the house rebuild. :thumbsup2:

Jorge likes this.
  14. Tadasas99

Tadasas99 Member

20210225_193010.jpg here is mine not hifi, but sounds the way i like, equalizers i dont use now, i was till i got dac, sometimes one jus for spectrum analyzer conected to tape record socket.
    And its not all my toys.

Jorge, Radio Raheem and autoreverser like this.
  15. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

why you say it's not hifi ?

this is much more hifi as most others, nice setup :thumbsup:

Jorge likes this.
  16. Tadasas99

Tadasas99 Member

Well, speakers have hifi logo, but this is soviet made radiotechnika s90 and s50, amplifiers are pioneer and denon maybe little higther than midrange, onkyo cassette deck with dolby s hxpro and autobias but its only two head, one capstan, cd player some jvc, equalizers soviet priboj (low end) and wangine, better components is pro-ject dac, sanyo tiuner and timer :D
    So by todays hifi standarts im not in hifi category, but sound i like, maybe i dont get wery good sound stage, wery much detait, but sound is not bad in anny means, but also wery powerfull

Jorge likes this.
  17. TooCooL4

Tadasas99 you should not put your system down, it’s Hi-Fi. I would not call a phone with Bluetooth speakers Hi-Fi, but yours is Hi-Fi.

With regards to sound stage, I can see the problem. It’s the way you have setup your system.

Jorge and autoreverser like this.
  18. Tadasas99

Tadasas99 Member

Well speakers is about 50cm from back wall, side walls is problem, its a small room and big system, smaler speakers too low, bigger one on other isnt great idea.
    So not ewery audiophile will agree to call my system hifi.
    But not realy care, i think if system makes you happy, then system is for you, ant this system makes me happy.

Eksept when wife decides to use it as a shelfs for stuff, like in photo

autoreverser and Jorge like this.
  19. TooCooL4

If you want soundstage? You want nothing in between your speaker and jamming them up against any wall is not going to help. You have more speaker than room.

My setup is not perfect as I need more room too, but this is the best I can do for now.

Setup.jpg

Tadasas99, autoreverser and Jorge like this.
  20. Tadasas99

Tadasas99 Member

I have bookshellfs, i played with placeing for soundstage, but i decided that my soundstage is ok, in my system sound doesnt come from speakers, its all ower back wall, maybe too wide, but with my room size i glad i have anything.

autoreverser and Jorge like this.