1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

show your newest vintage electronic entry !

Discussion in 'Home Audio Gear Chat Area' started by autoreverser, Apr 24, 2022.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Nice stereo! I have one old Pioneer out in the shop, I don't remember the model number but I love those early SS models. They kind of look similar to McIntosh with the black face and highlighted dials.

samb0357, I've mined most of these issues of the Boston Phoenix Newspaper for ads and articles but if you haven't seen them they are a treasure trove of 70's Boston Culture.
    https://archive.org/details/pub_boston-phoenix

2. samb0357

samb0357 New Member

Oh yeah I love those old Phoenix's. It was a great paper before it went corporate. Boston had a great underground paper scene in the 60's/70's and part of the 80's. The Real Paper was wonderful also.

The fictionalized movie "Between The Lines" does a great job of giving a taste of what it was like to work to a Phoenix like paper in Boston in the 70's. The main writer of the script, Fred Barron, wrote for the Phoenix before going to be a writer and producer in Hollywood. I grew up across the street from his home and knew his parents very well.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075744/

Mister X likes this.
  3. Mister X

There's still gems out there! I found this Onkyo TA-2050 at the local thrift last fall for $12.99 USD and it works! It was priced as a high-mid level unit back in 1980. In the words of Bad Company "How About That?" The other stuff is my current shop system, I think I posted it a few years ago when I found it non working, I got lucky, it just needed some preamp jumpers.

Onkyo Small.jpg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  4. Chris_D

Chris_D Active Member

I've been wanting to add a dbx expander to the loop for a few years now. So when this mint 3BS DS came up on The Netherlands favourite stolen goo.... I mean, 2nd hand goods website I snapped it up!

It arrived this morning and I wanted to start playing around with it straight away but I had postpone it until at least I had braided the first 5m long power cable from an order of 6 for a client. These things are monsters!
    IMG_20230416_180514.jpg
    The Schucko connector goes on later. But now it's time to have a little fun....

I didn't want to go to the trouble of fitting it into the bench stack in order to use it via the dbx400's effects loop so I just rigged it up to my Tascam DR100 mkII and my phone in order to find out how it processes an input signal.
    Oh man, it's so much fun!
    Initially, you have to crank everything up to full to hear how this thing can change the sound, but dialling back the various functions gives you a chance to see how subtly it can enhance music in different ways.
    I found it works best with noisy dance music. I suppose it would have been targeted at disco music lovers back in the day, but it gives everything a real punch and seems to add gain where it's most appropriate.

It's total rubbish on quieter music. I started listening to David Sylvian's 'Gone to Earth' album and it just sounded all sorts of wrong! lol
    Meat Beat Manifesto's 'Autoimmune' is given a new lease of life and benefits from the effects that you can create with it however.
    I don't know how much I'm going to use it but at least it's in the loop now and I can have a bit of fun and do some tinkering around if I feel like it!

IMG_20230417_145533.jpg

Mister X, autoreverser and Emiel like this.
  5. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

s-l1600 (1).png well i sold most of my boomboxes and lets just say everything that can go wrong went wrong....

bought this the last amp im after the technics sa tx50

Last edited: Apr 17, 2023
    Mister X, Papa, autoreverser and 2 others like this.
  6. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Very nice, really like the large VU meters! Perhaps a manufacturer should create a digital version of them, or re-release it. Retro is good, right?

Radio Raheem likes this.
  7. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

my pickup yesterday:

this great 70‘es Sony power amp
    70384846195__50721E89-677F-41B2-BC74-62167EA744D6.jpeg

8. Igor62

Igor62 Member

The Philips D2999 household portable radio was produced from 1986 to 1989. It was also produced under the Magnavox brand (since 1974 the brand has been owned by Philips) for the North American market.

This is a double conversion local oscillator and a PLL frequency synthesizer. The frequency is selected with the tuning knob or direct keyboard entry. You can also directly select the range next to the top buttons. Built-in alarm clock. The liquid crystal indicator shows the frequency up to 1 kHz.
    The top cover houses a second large speaker. 20230421_205653-01.jpeg 20230421_203311-01.jpeg

Longman, Mister X, Reli and 3 others like this.
  9. autoreverser

that field strength meter on the left rocks :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2023
    Mister X likes this.
  10. Igor62

Igor62 Member

it is a pleasure to listen to the air on this receiver

autoreverser likes this.
  11. autoreverser

yay, good idea !

just remebered that i still have a sw-receiver, but didn‘t use it for ages !

got it once from my dad, it‘s some unit from the army (navy ?) with nixie-tubes and an oscilloscopish „panorama-unit“ on top. should all work, just have to throw quite a few meters of wire-antenna through the trees around in the neighbourhood and suck the ether in my ear…:smoke IMG_1195.jpeg

Mister X and Radio Raheem like this.
  12. Radio Raheem

WEL my amp is in way better than i expected .....it may be a bit to powerful for me lol it will blow my big missions across the floor without any eq

anyway most of my boxes are gone and im glad to be honest it seems like i have lost a very good friend for over 20 years over shitty boxes....i dont think i will ever deal with anybody on these forums again lads to much can go wrong and usually does in my case;;;;;anyway this amp is superb i can highly recommend lads im out of here cheers

Mister X likes this.
  13. Mister X

Love the amp Radio, too bad about the boxes. I'm still in collection mode but have dialed it down a ton, I've been working on my vehicles doing the fun maintanence stuff that comes with ownership. Nothing like having a stuck drum on a dually truck.

Radio Raheem likes this.
  14. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Am I heading towards "The Dark Side" although I don't mean streaming :crazy
    Is 14 years old vintage ?
    IMG_1255.JPG
    I needed the software (I couldn't get levels right in Audacity) but was the only bidder on a complete package so got it for £5. It is a good thing I still have a Windows 7 computer (this Sony threw a wobbly with Windows 10).
    IMG_1259.JPG

I'd forgotten how much I like the looks of this laptop and spent ages trying to get a good photo of the way the case glows in sunlight. In the past I had comments about it from people who weren't really into electronics at all.
    Sony Glow.JPG

nickeccles and Radio Raheem like this.
  15. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Last month I gave one of my working VCRs to a colleague, who had old tapes of his holidays but nothing to play them on.
    Since that left me with only two working VCRs I decided it was time to get a replacement.
    Like I have commented before, unlike cassette decks there are no new VCRs being made. Not even low quality ones.
    These Panasonic VCR & Recordable DVD combis are one of the very few VCRs made with an HDMI output.
    EZ48.JPG
    Unfortunately they are also prone to faulty capacitors.
    I picked this one up Buy it Now, spares or repairs on eBay for £30 then spent £10 on a kit to replace the nine capacitors most likely to fail. Inside three on the list had blown their tops. Something that increased the time to repair it was that when I removed the open frame DVD writer mechanism the laser sled came out of the bottom. I have no idea how that happened as it took lots of dismantling and several attempts to get it back together.

I just realised I didn't take any photos of the inside but there are at least three different Youtube videos showing what needs to be done.

This guy has some pretty interesting other content, like explaining on how he worked on the Sinclair Pocket TV.

It seems to all be working now. I tested it with the type of programme which might only be available on tape.
    I was actually there to see Concorde land for the very last time.
    Concorde tape.JPG

autoreverser and Emiel like this.
  16. Radio Raheem

well my pioneer sa 9800 has been finally restored. all knobs switches replaced done shitty wooden warn out case replaced with normal black one

turns out it was just a couple of blown resistors on the power supply.....only have her rigged to a set of small technics sbm 300 speakers at the moment but she sounds quite promising and that is without an eq....anybody that knows what the technics sbm 300 are knows there stuff....will post a pic here when i find my bits ohh yea she is the top of the range of the blue line and the most heavy to boot lol

17. Radio Raheem

have this now to go with my pioneer sa 9800....was a mortgage but what isn't on ebay these days....sorry for the shit pic will post both when im not so ill s-l1600 (5).jpg

Mister X, autoreverser and Papa like this.
  18. Radio Raheem

19. Radio Raheem

20. Radio Raheem