show your newest vintage electronic entry !

Discussion in 'Home Audio Gear Chat Area' started by autoreverser, Apr 24, 2022.

1. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Pye was British back in those days
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pye_(electronics_company)
    I had checked the article before, since as @TooCooL4 mentioned they were taken over by Philips, although that was after his Record Player had been made.
    In addition to the usual consumer electronics they were famous for their two way radios, used by most U.K. taxis, police forces etc back then.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203284438047?hash=item2f54b25c1f:g:im0AAOSwrAFgMMz0

Need a record to play on your record player? They had that covered.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134132053687?hash=item1f3ae4b6b7:g:p8EAAOSwiC9idCtM
    It looks like they had a Groovy, With It, art department there.

@TooCooL4 , do you know which division of Pye your Father worked for ?

Regarding record decks, as in the metal chassis with the turntable and arm on it, back in the 1960s BSR, who made the deck in this, had 87% of the World market for autochangers, which seemed to be the most common type back then.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_Sound_Reproducers
    That explains why they even turn up in American equipment from that era.

I just found this article which says at one point they were making 250000 decks a week!
    https://www.stereomanuals.com/man/rep/bsr/bsr_history.htm

Of course tastes changed, and by the 1980s, the market was being dominated by Japanese "HiFi" equipment.
    Knowing @TooCooL4 s other equipment, I can't imagine him playing any records he cares for on this.
    However, like he says a great talking point, especially with the family connection.
    The vinyl revival has also moved old record players from Jumble Sales to Antique fairs, with prices to match.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    autoreverser likes this.
  2. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

thanks, mate :worship:

3. Longman

I just found an another interesting BSR photo
    https://photo-archive.expressandstar.co.uk/collections/getrecord/GB149_D-EXP_P_I32_213
    I guess the problem with selling anything to the Japanese was that they would soon improve it and sell it back to you.

On that subject I wonder if people realise that some of the first Nissan (and BMW) cars were a British design. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_7

As an engineer here in Britain I think we were one of the first countries to become a "Post Industrial Society". Most people here now think an "engineer" is the guy who comes to fit you a new Bosch boiler (furnace). Last night I was talking to a former colleague who once worked for Philips. He now works for a professional AV company supplying schools etc. He said he is 67 but is still working, doing repairs of the equipment they supply, mainly because they can't find a replacement for him.

4. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Longman not sure, I’ll find out. I remember he was based in Cambridge and travelled around the world a lot.

5. TooCooL4

Just found this YouTube link of someone fixing one.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
    autoreverser and Longman like this.
  6. Longman

I was having a look at some more record player articles. Back in the 1960s the more common and popular Dansette models retailed for around £20 so the Pye would have been very interesting in comparison. It is interesting that they actually exported them to the USA for CBS to sell. I notice the one in the video had a Garrard record deck. Those tended to be a bit more upmarket. The way all these decks were designed to fit into a flat wooden plinth meant it was really easy for a company making record players to swap deck manufacturers. In fact I recall that our Dansette record player came with two sets of instructions; one for the record player itself full of useful information like "use the treble control to adjust the treble", and another set from BSR for the autochanger, describing how to stack records, set them playing etc.

7. Longman

8. autoreverser

…a Nak OM-7E moved in today :smileycool:

D4E404B9-BD48-47DF-B323-22E5F47F0910.jpeg

Radio Raheem, Kabuff, Jorge and 3 others like this.
  9. TooCooL4

Very nice autoreverser. You now need to find a OMS-5 CD to keep it all Nakamichi 5 series :nwink:

autoreverser likes this.
  10. autoreverser

nah, i wanted the OMS-7, as the 5 doesn‘t feature a headphone-jack

11. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Are they good players? I've got one of those out in the shop but never used it. I think mine has a red LED readout?

12. autoreverser

yes sir, yes, it‘s a fantastic player ! the OMS-5/7 (wich are identical from the player itselfe but the 7 features a headphone-socket and had some program-features plus a remote added) used to be the - so called - „reference-player“ in their time (1987/1989).

now i know why…

i had several cd-players in my entire life, best was a CD-104 from Philips and a portable (off course) D-250 from Sony, but i never had a player wich gave me the famous „wow“ (i never really accepted the compact-disc) when playing. this one does. it plays this warm sound, makes you forget, you’re playing a digital media (true !).

i‘m a convinced vinyl-fan ever since. but with this new „vinyl-hype“ now, prices of good wax increased terribly, because there‘s too many people trying to make a little fortune from collectors (wich really pisses me off), also there‘s some releases, where you get qite a few more tracks plus bonus-tracks when you buy the cd, so i decided i want a decent player and for me as a Nak-fan it had to be one of those (please do not start a Nak-discussion here, this theme is quite polarizing, especially besides cassette-decks :fisch). i‘m impressed by this player - get yours from the shop and try it out !

well - red digits ? i‘d love to have rather red digits, i guess yours is the US-version (110V and no „E“ for Europe) :scratch2:

13. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

Congratulations Auto also that rx 505 is fantastic

autoreverser likes this.
  14. Chris_D

Chris_D Active Member

80 European Euros secured this lovely Nakamichi CDP-2E with the famed TDA1541A DAC chip, albeit with a slight fault; it plays and sounds glorious but the CD tray springs back immediately after opening. An easy fix - just needs the position sensor/sender cleaning.
    A nice bonus is that the remote from my Nak AV-8 can control it and with those lurid green LED's it's a nice match for my recently-acquired CR4E.
    Just need to decide what goes to make a space for it in the bench stack.... first world problems.
    :ohno2::loldiag:

IMG_20220605_120828.jpg
    IMG_20220415_134021~2.jpg

15. autoreverser

my advice: give the upper Yamaha-deck a time out :hi

16. Silver965

17. autoreverser

i love this player :worship:

768236AE-FFE3-4DB5-8F9B-2FD7D0CBA82C.jpeg

earworm:

Radio Raheem likes this.
  18. Chris_D

Chris_D Active Member

I was curious about all the hype surrounding this chip, then I listened tothe CDP2E and had one of those 'ahhhhh, so that's what the hype is about' moments. It sounds 'epic'.
    :loldiag:

I A-B'd between the CDP2E and my Yamaha CDX 993 and the Nak wins it by a nose.
    Are there any references anywhere with regards to the different chip iterations; single crown, double crown etc?
    I found a good site re the CDP2E outlining some interesting mods for this player.
    http://www.lampizator.eu/lampizator/REFERENCES/nakamichi_cdp2/nakamichi CDP2-E.html

Looks like I have an early-ish S/N Japanese-built example.

IMG_20220606_214625.jpg
    IMG_20220606_214700.jpg

Valentin and Silver965 like this.
  19. Longman

The big surprise to me was seeing Sony CD players on that list.
    When the first CD players came out Sony was ahead of Philips in DACs, with Philips notably being unable to produce 16 bit ones,

Silver965 likes this.
  20. Silver965

some are with two tda 1541 .... i would like to hear how a 507 esd or a 337 esd from sony sounds ....
    apparently reading here and there ... and a good match ... sony digital oversampling filter coupled and philips dac