1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

show your newest vintage electronic entry !

Discussion in 'Home Audio Gear Chat Area' started by autoreverser, Apr 24, 2022.

1. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Radio Raheem I still have not had a chance to put it in for a service yet, I will not use it till it has been serviced.

2. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

ohh my bad....i had one in the 90's slightly up market but it sounded great chris never seen one since though lad

3. Elite-ist

Elite-ist Well-Known Member

Looking great, John. That Akai cassette deck isn't one I see much of - for sure, you are the only one I know owning one.

Nando.

overmodulated likes this.
  4. overmodulated

overmodulated Active Member

Thank you. I picked it because I understand that the GX heads are very hard to wear out, and I'm glad I did, it sounds wonderful.

5. overmodulated

I picked up a Nakamichi BX-300 on ePay today. I could not resist it was so clean, with the original manual, packaging and box. I had the seller send me pictures of inside the tray and honestly it looked brand new, and cannot have been used that much. Belts were replaced, and I'm hoping I can run it for a while before it needs any other kind of service.

There is a guy on the auction site that makes remote controls for these and many other brands that have the plug-in pin on the rear panel, this will be my first one from him that I'm trying.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
    autoreverser, Mister X and Elite-ist like this.
  6. Elite-ist

Elite-ist Well-Known Member

Nice buy, John. You don't often get BX-300s with the full complement of factory packaging. That's usually my first indication of a seller who cares about his vintage gear.

I did make an incredulous purchase, today, but I will share it with the members sometime this week.

Nando.

7. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

yeah, the BX-300 with its Sankyo-movement is a good one, solid as a rock and the whole thing is a proper good Nak :thumbsup:

Mister X and overmodulated like this.
  8. overmodulated

I tend to like the direct drive units, and I also like the fact that these are closer to 30 and 40 years old rather than 40+ years old.

This one appears to be hardly ever used, that's what the seller told me, all original belts and I don't think it's ever been in for service. I'm just hoping to get a couple months out of it and send it away and get it looked at.

There's a tech on YouTube that is extremely knowledgeable with all things cassette related, and I think I'm going to send it to him.

9. overmodulated

yes and thanks for the reply. That was one of the requirements that it had a good transport of course. I know there's a lot online about these later models being cheaper, but there's nothing online about anyone ever saying that they sounded bad. Honestly I was looking for a daily driver that sounded as good, or nearly as good as my A&D. Looks like I found it.

edit;

this person wasn't too chatty like we tend to be on the forums lol, but I got out of them that they are the original owner. That's what you want.

at first I thought that the belts were replaced, but they were not, she's all original, and supposedly still working. We shall see you in a day or two. My first Nakamichi after all these years lol.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
    autoreverser likes this.
  10. overmodulated

image.jpg Here's the A&D (Akai) GX-Z9100 deck that I picked up about two months ago. It really is a great looking and great sounding deck and she works wonderfully.

autoreverser, Elite-ist and Mister X like this.
  11. overmodulated

I haven't watched hockey in years, and it may be one of the last sports that is a throwback from back in the day. Anyway my team was the Boston Bruins, back when Esposito, and Bobby Orr played. No helmets just a lot of guts lol. Schultz was the guy that played for Philadelphia, and you can count on every game he'd be in a glove dropping fight, he was definitely a beast.

Mister X likes this.
  12. overmodulated

E54E7C27-6699-44AF-BA90-566C6CEF0925.jpeg Not new to me, I've had it since around 2014 but newly completed. 1959 Thorens TD 124 with quite a few tweaks. I just picked up a custom-made solid brass main platter, because I wanted to use a Moving coil cartridge. I chose a Dynavector Karat 17DX cartridge, that I picked up and it has low hours on it. A lot of people don't give the SME 3009 tonearms a lot of credit, but I'll tell you it matches perfectly with this cartridge, but I did swap out the headshell. She is sitting on a bamboo platter, which is floating on sorbothane pads and set into a solid walnut plinth. Using a Parks Puffin DSP phono preamp going into a Topping DAC via coax output, and it just sounds amazing.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
    autoreverser, Elite-ist and Mister X like this.
  13. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Nice looking record player overmodulated :thumbsup2:

14. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

That looks like a really nice deck, I think I'm going to get out my dust rag and air gun today and clean up my rack, time to get some tape decks back up and working, plus the added electronics heat will warm my office.

15. overmodulated

that's the spirit, and I just like a bachelor does just turn the volume up lol.

Mister X likes this.
  16. overmodulated

Thanks guys I appreciate it.

17. autoreverser

@ overmodulated:

checkout either for an SME3009 series II instead of the improved (or a modified, heavier counterweight) and try an Ortofon SPU f.ex. or other MC-cartridge (in that case it's important to use the aluminium sub-platter, otherwise the cast-iron platter might effect the cartridge) - you'll be surprised !
    did you change the motor-suspension to the MkII- type allready ?

18. overmodulated

Hi, thank you for the tips I appreciate it! I went with the S2 imp tonearm years ago because I wanted to use all of the Shure V15 and Stanton high compliance cartridges.

I was actually headed way you're talking about, and then this just kind of fell in my lap and it really worked out well. I never meant to get involved with high-priced moving coil cartridges, but this one was a good deal.
    I was having a Supex cartridge rebuilt by someone, and bringing it into the 21st-century when something happened and he couldn't get the job done.
    I have many cartridges, and I am actually looking to sell some of my vintage ones, and may be a tonearm pr two also. I have the Magnepan tonearm that should match up with that Dynavector cartridge well also. I'm just not in a hurry because it's all preference I think from this point on. My tweaking is over for turntables lol.

19. autoreverser

i run the 124 (MkI, like yours) in my office with the original BTD-12 arm and a Shure M55 with original needle (i want to leave that one original). on the MkII in my music room, i experiment around - starting from the original TP-14, wich is very similar to the BTD-12, but with antiskating, with older Shure's (M44, M55, M75), also tried a modified Ortofon S-212 (stolen from a Telefunken S500 tt) with a Shure V15IV, than the SME3009II with Ortofon SPU's (i have two of those, one for stereo, one for my 78's and mono), than a Shure Dynetic arm and finally the wooden Grado arm and "low budget" black series cartridge (wich is quite nice !), wich gave me such stunning results, that it will stay there for longer - besides that, i think it matches the old Thorens that well, the look of it to me is absolutely aesthetic...
    i still have a second MkII, wich has the later Pabst-motor. i'm busy servicing this one de luxe, i got for it one of those SME2000 plynths, this one will get a SME3012 (just haven't found an affordable one yet).

as you can see: i'm a huge Thorens 124 fan :yesss:

20. overmodulated

Yes I can see that! They are a lot of fun.