1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

show your newest vintage electronic entry !

Discussion in 'Home Audio Gear Chat Area' started by autoreverser, Apr 24, 2022.

1. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

see the 124 with the modded 212:
    124:212.jpg

Mister X and overmodulated like this.
  2. overmodulated

overmodulated Active Member

Yes, and that looks very nice indeed.

3. overmodulated

85AF1B14-9735-4CAB-85AE-5D547ED4156B.jpeg DAB02FD8-0F1C-4800-BB74-2CB5E286A10C.jpeg 6E6F1432-A72A-4DF4-976C-F6E951ABCA30.jpeg Arrived safe and sound. I don't think that there is a mark on it anywhere. Too bad it's so cold, I'd love to fire this up but I think I'll at least wait till later tonight or the morning.

edit;
    this is crazy, the pinch rollers look like new, not dried out still soft. Opened it up, the one belt that I could see spins freely, still soft, doesn't look overly stretched. I guess when he said it wasn't hardly used he meant it, and sometimes that's a bad thing and they need to be used but I think I lucked out on this one.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
  4. Elite-ist

Elite-ist Well-Known Member

John: That is a nice way to start the holiday season, audio-wise. It's a keeper!

Nando.

5. overmodulated

Yes although my joy was short-lived. It plays for about a second and stops, also fast forward and rewind's for two seconds and stops. There is briefly
    sound coming out of it.

Taking off the front cover in the well, it is the gear drive, it doesn't have the tire, and probably needs the motor rebuilt because it's flat spotted, at least I hear that's what the problem is with these. I sprayed a little deoxit in there and exercised it but no joy.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
  6. overmodulated

First time I came across the belt that's turned to goo problem, and it appears to be a belt problem. I am hoping to replace it myself and it appears it would be a lot easier to change by taking off the pulley.

The take up pulley is retained by a small nylon clip or washer. Does anybody know where to get these from? I'm having a hard time finding them, and they're not exactly a C clip but it looks like there is a break in it so you can work it down on the shaft and click it in place.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    autoreverser likes this.
  7. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

rebelt a BX-300 is not a miracle, you‘ll gonna make it :thumbsup:

overmodulated likes this.
  8. overmodulated

I ordered a belt kit and hopefully that takes care of it.
    I actually found the belts pretty close by to me, and I'm hoping they are good quality.

9. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I'd have to see the clip but any of those small parts are a pain to find unless you have a parts unit. Sometimes Amazon/Ebay have misc packs for sale and the right size might be in there.
    Check these guys out they usually have everything.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/

It sounds like the belts are on the way, at one time they were still making them in Japan, now it's a science to find the right ones and the forums are littered with horror stories, mostly around cheap replacements and Marrs. Marrs was the best place at one time but the owner died and the new owner was shipping late and underperforming products, so avoid them at all costs.

The forum is sponsored by FixMyAudio, they have a ton of great parts, I've also used these guys, shipping was just a few days for me.
    https://www.turntableneedles.com/

10. overmodulated

Thanks for the replies, and I will definitely keep those places in mind.

I ended up finding the little washer clips at nakamichi.us and it appears he has everything Nakamichi. Not cheap but the main thing is it's the right part.

The the larger belt that's inside the unit has a little bit of slack in it and should be replaced, but looks like it's above my pay grade to replace, but I may be able to do it if I can find the right instructions. I can't find good instructions anywhere, and even the service manual does not have anything in there about replacing the belts. No YouTube videos for that exact model that I can find. If anybody knows where I can get the instructions or video for this I'd be grateful.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
  11. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Best to get it to a tech that knows what they are doing, doing it yourself and you may end up costing yourself more money or worse still you end up with a nice doorstop.

I use to put in my CR-7 for a full service every 2 - 3 years when Bowers & Wilkins Nakamichi was still around, they closed down the service centre about 3 years ago. So I need to find a new company for servicing my CR-7.

Looking at your first image above, are you resting the unit on it's RCA connections on the back? If so, that's not good.

12. overmodulated

Thank you the tips, I agree and won't mess with the rear belt in the back of the transport, the front one I can put on, and I already had the real off and cleaned all the belt goo off of it. I've learned over the years it's better to leave things go than to mess it up for sure.

It was resting on the RCA's briefly and it's a nice soft carpet and I definitely wouldn't leave it that way for a long.

I've heard that the B&W service over there was top-notch for the Nakamichi decks. Fortunately there are a couple here if I have to send it out, but I'm hoping the front capstan belt will solve my issues for a short time until I can secure a tech.

13. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

My first JAUCE purchase from Japan which had been unopened from arriving until today
    Jauce.JPG

Not really vintage although it looks like it.
    Anabas.JPG
    The record could be classed as vintage being 1971.
    Quite a few years from before I started buying records.

p.s. I hope Techmoan''s judgement is accurate

14. overmodulated

@Longman that's awesome, what a cool little player.

How did you find your experience on that auction site? I've always been tempted to bid on the Yahoo! Japan because they probably have some of the coolest stuff, but I've never pulled the trigger, I've never known how it works out in the end.

15. Longman

In one word Expensive
    A full review of my experiences here
    http://www.stereo2go.com/forums/threads/looking-for-a-piece-of-the-past….8458/#post-65654

p.s. I just looked at the postage price on the box and it was only 20 yen less than I paid for the record player.
    So of my total expenditure, 37% for the record player, 36% for the postage, and 27% in fees and packing (which was pretty well done).

The actually auction was Yahoo Japan. JAUCE allows you to bid on most items, which the seller sends to JAUCE who repack it and send it out.

Selling on eBay (which I have done for a long time) I always offer international postage to gain a wider audience but I can understand why some people are reluctant. Especially if you are a Japanese person who doesn't speak English.

Many times I have had to split parcels or re-open them and remove small amounts of packing to get below the 2Kg Royal Mail weight limit. Beyond that the postage can get silly. I don't know what the weight bands are in Japan but I wonder if the postage would have been less if they hadn't gone just over 2Kg

16. overmodulated

@Longman I didn't think it would be cheap, everything from Japan goes for a premium. When I used to collect Japanese printed records they were always more money, some sounded better and some did not.

17. Longman

I think some things can be very cheap. However, by the time they arrive on your doorstep they won't be. Since you haven't been on the forum long you might have missed Techmoan's cheap Minidiscs video

Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
  18. Mister X

There's a lot of threads on here about buying from Japan, most of time it seems to go okay but sometimes you get screwed with shipping prices going through the roof, they won't ship because of the speaker magnets or sometimes the blurry photos mean the equipment is corroded. Also beware that they will list one item multiple times for different prices.

Their current is 100v but the plug is the same as we have in the USA. If you buy something larger I'd get a Nissyo Transformer from Amazon.

I love that table Longman, I have a soft spot for that style player. Too bad your not closer, I have a crap-load of duplicate 60's albums that would sould great on it.

19. Longman

No problem. The reason I bought the player was because I have been accumulating a load of LPs and didn't have a convenient means of player them other than my SoundBurger (I do have quite a few other decks but it would take a lot of rearranging to set one up along with a suitable HiFi).

Where I live there are a lot of retirees (think of the U.K. equivalent to Florida) and consequently a lot of house clearances to charity shops. I keep finding interesting looking albums in them which were probably bought for Dinner Party background music back when they came out. I doubt whether they were ever released on CD which to me makes them more interesting, and many of the shops charge as little as £1 each.

It seems that some people received the Climax album in a different sleeve when they went on a tour of EMIs factory in the 1970s.
    EMI Tour.jpg
    That would have been an interesting tour. In the 1980s they would have been just as busy pressing Iron Maiden, Kate Bush, or Duran Duran records but most of it has gone now.
    https://www.radiolondon.co.uk/sixties/emirevisited/alansvisit.html

overmodulated, Elite-ist and Mister X like this.
  20. Mister X

I love photos of old factories, I think of all the cool stuff being made. Luckily through work I've been in a large number and seen all kinds of neat stuff being assembled. One of the last interesting ones was a CD duplicator up here, everything was made in a cleanroom environment, it was around 2002 and the writing was on the wall. Even they said production was slowing down but like cassettes, crappy sales CDs and other throw-away CDs were still being cranked out.