1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

show your newest vintage electronic entry !

Discussion in 'Home Audio Gear Chat Area' started by autoreverser, Apr 24, 2022.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Those are so nice, when future history classes talk about music, those should be the focus of the early 70's. I'm kinda sick of every article writing about how bad cassettes "were" but as a young kid, it was an exciting new world and "stereo" was way too expensive for most of us. It was mind-blowing technology and we thought it sounded great, then boomboxes, car stereos and big component decks started coming out.

It brings up a great question, this might be the first component stereo compact tape deck, no RCA's but it looks like it has 1/8" jacks?

I'll be the first to say Sony Power Cords Suck, at least when you get one your fine. I think I finally found one, I know I have a cigarette lighter version.....

autoreverser likes this.
  2. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

you're right, mate - but do not consider this to be the first stereo-deck at all, it wasn't (at least this is what the web says...). and do not forget the great Uher CR-124, introduced roundabout the same time, the Uher featured Hifi stereo plus autoreverse !

Mister X likes this.
  3. Mister X

I was doing some research for the beer and boombox thread last night, with a clear head I can think of a few old stereo tape decks but the ones I'm familar of are all portable.

4. autoreverser

found this Sony PS-6750 for small money. it was dusty deluxe and conservated properly by tar and nicotene - so i took it apart completely, cleaned it, took the ugly plastic-foil from the plinth and put some teak-veneer on it. the original silicone-filled mat is quite deformed, but i still had a glass-plate as replacement. instead of the original headshell, i quite like the look of my old Ortofon headshell on the carbon-arm: S_1.jpg S_2.jpg S_3.jpg

5. Mister X

Wow, that's a cool table, great pick-up. It's hard to resist turntables, some just look bad-ass. Where did you find the glass?

6. samb0357

samb0357 New Member

After several years enjoying a Nak ZX-7, sold it to a buddy who wouldn't leave me alone and offered me a good price. Fell back to using my CR-1A which was fine, since my cassette operations these days is almost primarily for PB, not recording. But this came along, restored, recently, and I couldn't resist. Out of the box it sounds fantastic. Solid player.

[​IMG]

Mister X, autoreverser and LIVO like this.
  7. samb0357

samb0357 New Member

Those Sony DD's are fantastic players. That's a beauty, and not easy to find.

I've been enjoying a 2251 for some time. Recently added a Graham tonearm to it, and it's a nice match.

[​IMG]

Mister X and autoreverser like this.
  8. autoreverser

yay, in the lower shelve i spec an Ela Miracord 50H ?

samb0357 likes this.
  9. autoreverser

10. samb0357

samb0357 New Member

Yes! Dependable as they come and at this point the only “true” idler I own(also have the hybrid Thorens TD 124).

11. Mister X

Another nice table samb0357, I have one, I really pulled it out of the trash at a garage sale. It didn't have the platter, the people said some kid pulled it off and liked the way it sounded when he hit it. Unfortunately it has strobe markings on it and the only one that will work on that table.

12. samb0357

samb0357 New Member

Mine is actually a 50H II. The outer ring strobe was missing when I got it, but it does have adjustable speed control so I'm still able to use my own strobe to set speed accurately. It's my only fully automatic table which is a nice feature, and it tends to be my primary table for 78's, which I usually stack 5 or 6 at a time. It has a very gentle drop and I've never suffered a cracked disc.

autoreverser and Mister X like this.
  13. Mister X

I have an Elac as well, missing the strobe ring like most of them, but I was talking about the killer Sony! I love the early 70's tables with the heavy wood plinths, my office rack has a Sansui FR-4060 and a AR-XA. My degree is in design and I could look at vintage audio all day. We had it good back then when sonics and design were pushed to the limits.

14. samb0357

samb0357 New Member

Ah yes! Sorry. Yeah love that table. Also have an AR XA which I really like. And several other tables, again some listed in the profile section. I've gotten to the point where I look at classifieds and while some things tempt me now and then, I usually have real desire to buy anything. The last thing I bought recently was a restored Nakamichi 580 cassette deck. I still play cassette's quite a bit as a lot of new music is only issued that way as far as physical media goes. But turntables and speakers are my weakness.

Mister X and autoreverser like this.
  15. Mister X

I was thinking about grabbing the Emerson but decided not to, not much else at this local shop.....

IMG_20230sm.jpg

Radio Raheem, Papa and samb0357 like this.
  16. Mister X

I don't think I ever posted this, I "scored" a stack of equipment a few years back from a customer, this was some of it. The ADS Speakers I got a garage sale for $20 at a different time, I was just using them for testing. The decks are in great condition, the marantz even has a remote! The HK 330B fired right up, it needs some DeOxit but it's a nice smaller tuner from right before the golden age.

WP_20180819_18_39_37_Prosm.jpg

Radio Raheem likes this.
  17. samb0357

samb0357 New Member

Just picked up a restored Pioneer SX-440. 12 mighty watts. I couldn't resist even though the rest of my electronics zfd pretty much all vintage McIntosh and on paper outshind this little guy. But there's a story here. The 440 was the first piece of "real" audio gear I ever bought. When I was 15 years old, I was able to (with a little help from parents) buy it in 1972. I had it all through college, but finally disposed of it in my early 20's. But I got a lot of first musical listens on it in my bedroom through a pair of EPI M50 speakers, and a Dual 1019 turntable. No problem getting to levels on it that caused mom to yell "turn it down" more often then not. This one sounds great though a pair of '77 Klipsch Cornwall's, and truthfully beats my McIntosh MX110z's tuner for picking up stations. It's a nice way to regress.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
    Mister X, Longman and autoreverser like this.
  18. autoreverser

nice score indeed :thumbsup:

19. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

It is always nice to get something from your past. I have gone as far as re-buying my first camera despite it being a 126 format which you can't get film for these days. The top of my wish list now is a particular Kienzle clock my parents had throughout the 70s.

At least you knew what you had. We get a surprising number of people asking questions like "when I was a child I had a silver boombox with three knobs on the left. Any idea which model it was ?".

Radio Raheem likes this.
  20. samb0357

samb0357 New Member

You’re right as most things from that( and many others) part of my life are not remembered. But I remember wanting my own real stereo so badly as I had been collecting records and was already pretty heavy into rock’n’roll being a dedicated listener of Boston’s WBCN and reading Rolling Stone and various other lesser pubs of the day. So when I got the job after school and summer that’s what I was aiming for. It had been on the market since ‘69 so by this time you could get it on sale as the newer similar 424 had, or was about to come out. Think I ended paying maybe $150 or so. Good memories.