1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Walkman WM-EX50 Motor Issue

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by quaz30, Dec 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. quaz30

quaz30 Active Member

Hi,
    I recently had an amazing find - an absolutely mint, boxed Sony WM-EX50. I am 100% sure it never had batteries put into it, let alone a tape.
    Of course, the belt was shot, I got a new one. But the motor was a problem since the beginning.
    First it was making a really loud whining noise, I gave it a generous helping of oil and after running for a moment the noise subsided, but not fully.
    Now, today, I wanted to replace the belt, but the motor just turned for a moment and stopped. It's stone dead now.

My question is: does anyone have an EX50 in bad condition for parts, but with a working motor?
    Perhaps the motor itself?

2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    Jorge likes this.
  3. quaz30

quaz30 Active Member

Hi, I'm sorry for the late update but maybe it'll help others - the culprit were the capacitors. It seems like those SMD caps on EX series are garbage even if they never saw any use.

Boodokhan likes this.
  4. HWTest

HWTest Member

5. quaz30

quaz30 Active Member

Hey HWTest, those capacitors are not present on the later versions of this model. Only low serial number units have them, and since lack of them doesn't affect operation, I don't think it matters if they are shot or not.
    I'm not the best at figuring out schematics, but only the two capacitors in plastic enclosures seem to be related to motor operation. I changed those and the motor started getting power again.
    Also, in my opinion, it's not viable to change the capacitors in this model - there is not enough room for even the smallest of electrolytics. Especially the 330uF ones. You should only attempt it if you can replace them with new SMD components.

6. HWTest

HWTest Member

Can you please show me which capacitors in plastic enclosures you mean, on the attached picture of the PCB?
    Thank you very much

EX50.jpg