1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY WM-DDI / SONY WM-DD10 : Differences Guide

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Machaneus, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Machaneus

Machaneus Well-Known Member

Hello friends ,

This thread is the fruition of a conversation we had with our fellow member @Emiel about the differences between Sony WM-DDI and Sony WM-DD10 and what exactly they are to implement them in his excellent Sony DD series spreadsheet file.
    As Emiel pointed there is not much on the internet , more specifically for the WM DD10 .
    Indeed from what evidently is out there WM DD10 service manual looks more like an one page announcement .
    So I proposed to open a WM-DDI and a WM-DD10 from my collection and have a first hand look and then give him a feedback with the findings.
    I could summarize in a sentence " Alterations in Servo section " but is more complicated than that , I have found two PCB versions for DDI and one revision for DD10 not counting a DD10 from an auction that appears with the first PCB of DDI , I know.... it's a total mess !
    So a dedicated thread seemed a better idea so other collectors and users might find helpful the information and @Emiel can more conveniently choose what can be used on his file .

But let's start from the beginning , below the one page S.M of DD10 :

dd10.png

We can see with the most official way that DD10 "is almost the same as the model WM-DDI".
    Worth to note that the different part numbers for the PCB for the two models are unrelated with the PCB ID codes that are printed on the actual PCB s .
    The first column referring to pages of WM-DDI service manual.
    Although in column "Description" we read "MOUNTED PCB , AUDIO" I couldn't notice any significant changes in audio section.
    This seems to be an exclusive West Germany model , it's not clear though if that concerns DD10 model as a whole or the specifications (eg.color versions or accessories).

WHAT'S INSIDE

My DDI and DD10 where unmolested and opened for the purpose of this thread , DDI is in almost pristine condition but not working with leaking caps and DD10 is well used but still working great.
    Roughly I date DDI from 1988 and DD10 from 1989.

20210902_154907.jpg

20210902_155623.jpg

WM-DDI

DSC01208BcD.jpg

PCB ID : 1-624-285-12 circa 1988 ,
    these caps with the yellow band seem to be prone to leakage , in my walkman above need replacement.

WM-DD10

DSC01210B.jpg

PCB ID : 1-624-285-13 circa 1989 , strangely PCB retains the previous script "WM-DD1" .

PCB paths have been altered slightly in many places especially around the servo IC , test points have been almost entirely omitted , as there are no schematics for this revision we can't be certain for the reasoning behind the changes.
    At some point maybe there was a supplement(s) to service manual , we just don't know.

Furthermore I found a picture of a DD10 from an auction recaped and as a proof the seller shows the old (yellow band) caps removed.
    What is peculiar in this picture you'll see below is that it has a PCB with ID 1-624-285-11 earlier from the ones above possibly from 1987 judging by the dates on the ICs , mind DD10 appeared in 1989.

Also this PCB ( 1-624-285-11 ) has the lowest sequential number and what appears to be the initial arrangement of parts around the servo IC as can be found in the WM-DDI S.M. PCB schematics (page 8).

1-624-285-11 .jpg

In conclusion what we know so far :

- Sony WM-DDI had one PCB revision ( initial : 1-624-285-11 , revision : 1-624-285-12 ) with alterations in the servo section .

- Sony WM-DD10 had a revised from the previous version PCB ( now 1-624-285-13 ) once more with alterations in the servo section (motor drive).

EXTERIOR DIFFERENCES :

SONY WM-DDI on the left SONY WM-DD10 on the right.
    Altered button frame on WM-DD10
    WM-DDI horizontal aluminum brushing lines on the button frame .
    WM-DD10 brushing lines following the angle of Play-Stop buttons .
    WM-DDI : "DOLBY NR" , WM-DD10 : "DOLBY B" , both with yellow printings and the Dolby double D symbol , from technical point of view is exactly the same Dolby system.

DSC01213.JPG

In all documentations and on the walkman it's DD I and not DD 1 from the Latin number one : unus , although if you noticed in all PCB versions we read WM-DD1 !

Most likely the cases on my walkmans are original , DD10s case has still the second indentation for the protective peg while DD10 has only one peg . ( if you know about a different dedicated DD10 case , or can confirm , please let me know )

The tape direction arrow is smaller on DDI .

"CASSETTE PLAYER WM - DDI" inscription on DDI cassette door.
    "WALKMAN DD" inscription on DD10 door.

20210902_171857.jpg

DDI cassette door has a brushed aluminum logo , on DD10 is just printed :

DSC01221.JPG

DSC01222.JPG

DD1o : side middle screw shorter

161131.jpg

161156.jpg

SONY WM-DDI , SONY WM-DD10 , SONY WM-DD11 and SONY WM-DD22 was a series that used a simplified less complicated common platform for Sony's Disc Drive system .

DSC01234b.jpg

CDV, Silver965, Valentin and 2 others like this.
  2. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Thank you for doing this detailed analysis @Machaneus !
    I will update my overview + timeline appropriately this weekend.

The conclusion from my point of view: the DD10 is the next iteration of the DD1, that allowed Sony to produce it even cheaper (and perhaps faster).
    A few examples from your post:
    • Optimized PCB: reducing the number of test pads, relocation of some components;
    • Optimizing housing processing steps: removing the need to emboss the logo, simply printing a few more characters, etc.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    Calvin2297 and Machaneus like this.