1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports Models 2020!

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by Mister X, May 18, 2020.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

One of my first threads years ago was my growing Sports Model Walkman Collection. I always loved these and used to find them all the time at the thrifts. I've gotten all of these for a few dollars, I never search this model out since there used to be a ton of them around.

While not as sonically nice as some of the high end models, the cases on some of these are awe-inspiring. Rubber-coated buttons, gasketed case and usually a locking mechanism to keep them really dry. Feel free to post whatever you have, there's a ton of them by all of the manufacturers.

I'll start with the Sony WM-FS499 Sports FM/AM GROOVE on the left, the stamp silver clamp on the right side is solid metal, it makes sure the unit is secure when playing. This unit also has a lap counter for those long runs at the track.

The Sony Sports WM-FS191 in the middle is entry level but still a nice unit with AM/FM radio, I just posted another photo of this one, it looks like it was $34.00 USD in 1996

The Sony WM-FS393 Sports MEGA BASS Walkman, this one has the cool pivoting latch. I think it has music search and auto-reverse.

These units all have a belt clip on the back and a covered valve on the bottom that I think is to release air pressure.

DSC_0746sm.jpg

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    MikeWalkman and Marty like this.
  2. Mister X

The Sony WM-FS593 on the left is one of the nicer ones, this one also has a metal latch with trendy holes in it and really small control buttons. On the top there's a really neat single button that controls all of the tape functions and AM/FM selection. I don't think another Walkman has this feature but I may be wrong. Made in China

The Sony WM-F73 in the middle is an early model, the radio has manual tuning and the latch is a small flat piece.

The Sony WM-AF58, not as nice looking as some of them, I have a few of these so they must have been popular. The Solar Alarm Clock is a nice touch, all of mine still work. This unit is made in Taiwan.

DSC_0758sm.jpg

MikeWalkman, CDV and Marty like this.
  3. Mister X

I love the anything goes attitude with these and they are heavy. Most of them have aged very well for averaging around 30 years old and they all have a different style belt clip that screws on the back. You can seem some similar design between some of the models. Most of these feature a max volume switch AVLS, this may have been required in the US or a response to people losing their hearing. All of these still have the pressure release port in the bottom

The Sony WM-FS111, another metal latched model with analog tuning. The tuner dial is on the back! A flexible shaft connects to the front to turn the indicator. Made in China

Sony WM-FS495, this is a nice one with a radio and TV tuner and two toggle switches on the bottom side, It's very rare to see a portable with toggle switches but both of the models on the right have them. Of course they're covered with rubber for water protection. Made in Malaysia

Sony WM-SXF39, it's interesting to see the placement of the buttons, and these models have a lot on the front, side, top and back. What you can't see are the AVLS switch, the combination Tape Selector and FM Sens Switch and the volume knob, 22 buttons in all!

DSC_0837sm.jpg

MikeWalkman and Marty like this.
  4. Mister X

Sony changed the color and added the S2, I think in the late 90's with the S2 Model, while the model doesn't say Walkman on it except for the back, under the strap, there is the newer blobby W on the button side. This Sony WM-FS222 still has a lot of buttons on the front and side but none on the back. Made in Malaysia.

The WM-FS397 has most of it's controls on the side and back, it's almost a mirror of the WM-FS191 above. Made in China

The Sony SRF-M70 is radio only but very nicely put together with an arm strap. This had 13 buttons and a volume knob. Made in Taiwan.

In case your wondering the drink is a favorite in Tokyo. They have a small open fridge in the stores with about 50 different brands of these, I'm not sure what they are exactly but I was told they are mostly vitamins but taste like a better version of Red Bull. You definately don't get the jitters from it and it gave me some energy for spending the day walking.

DSC_0841sm.jpg

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    Marty likes this.
  5. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

I didn't think they might be of interest, I put one on sale just tonight

Attached Files:

Mister X likes this.
  6. Mister X

Wow, another version, it looks like it's the carbon fiber edition? For 90's players they aren't bad but they tend to get big, the engineers probably loved them with all the extra room.

7. Derek marshall

Derek marshall Well-Known Member

Mr X. I only have one Walkman Sports- WM-B53. Use to have the WM-75 back in the mid eighties but someone stole it. Nice sounding and very robust. What I miss on them is not having ac input on them but the B-53 does last a long time on 2 AA's.

8. nickelindimer

nickelindimer Active Member

I have a WM-FS555 I recently acquired, and it's younger cousin in yellow in storage. The latter was bought for $5 at an estate sale, the former on eBay. Got the former because I missed having the latter, and was impressed how it used one-less battery! Now if only it would get some decent reception where I am...!

stereomecha99 and Mister X like this.
  9. Derek marshall

Nickelindimer. Do any of your sports WM have a ac input? Mine only has this pressure valve. Also on mine the headphone socket is intermittent and needs reordering. How difficult are these to get into?

10. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

There is only one sports model i like. :nwink: :loldiag:

Sharon Davies.jpg

11. Derek marshall

Hi Chris. Funny I was just looking at your photo at the Munich show. I cannot argue with that. Good for a pinup on my wall. Have to hide it from the wife though.

12. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

If you want to be a happily married man, better not put the picture up. :nwink:

13. Derek marshall

Think you're right. Take care.

14. nickelindimer

nickelindimer Active Member

Both generations of my WM-FS555 have a Ext. Pwr. socket. As for the headphone socket, I can't help you... but I can tell you it's an annoyance how the radio relies upon the headphone wire as an antenna. Meanwhile, try swabbing the headphone jack with contact cleaner & a Q-tip. (Small cotton swab) This fixed a "No sound from internal speakers" audio issue with a plasma television set I rescued, oddly... Shame getting the video to work wasn't so easy, or inexpensive!

15. Marty

Marty New Member

I'm also a huge fan of the Sports models and have a couple. Always on the look-out for a well-priced Outback or Solar (but I'm surprised by how many times sellers won't ship to Canada).

Mister X likes this.
  16. Mister X

Feel free to post them Marty, there was so many but I don't have any Outback Models.

17. Marty

Marty New Member

I've only got a couple, because I'm very critical of the condition.
    SRF-M50 headphones
    DSC08740 sm.jpg

FS397, but missing the Sports strap
    wm fs397.jpg

And AF-54.
    DSC08731 sm.jpg

MikeWalkman, Mister X and CDV like this.
  18. CDV

CDV Well-Known Member

Good thing about these sports models is that they seem to be made of actual gray and actual yellow plastic, not just painted over. So they age well: the yellowing under UV light is not so noticeable as they are already yellow, and scratches do not rub off the paint, like on non-sport models.

Mister X likes this.
  19. Mister X

The Outback gray/tan models really suffer from UV but the yellow has stood the test of time. The SRF-M50 is a new model for me, they really liked the membrane button technology on these units, thanks for sharing.

20. Marty

Marty New Member

TheM50 is just a radio headset, FM only (Still awesome). Yeah, the big worries on the Sports models are scratching of the logos, and torn/missing rubber headphone plugs, and on some older models the hinges crack or break entirely under pressure.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021