1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Techmoan - JVC RC-M90 The 'King of Boomboxes

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Radio Raheem, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

That's a lot - any major repairs?

2. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

Where are you going now Alex lad which country??? if you are staying in the uk i could gladly give you some gear.....yes they get £70 a week lad and to top it off only get paid once a month, it isn't insane it's criminally insane...and there trying to make these people find work....there is no work in my dead forsaken town lad, sorry for my little rant bro

3. Mystic Traveller

No worries, Reno mate, feel for them, not good, do understand how hard could it be,
    I am now in St. Petersburg, Russia, and coming to Oxford from time to time
    where my wife is working..
    Economic situation nowadays is shite almost everywhere.
    Dunno yet when I am gonna come next time, just returned 2 weeks ago..

Do remember where you are - up there "to the left" :)
    near the sea - would love coming and seeing you one day, about 200 miles from OX.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    Radio Raheem likes this.
  4. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Rear brake pads and discs replaced. Main dealer prices as I keep extending the warranty. The car has a DSG gearbox which while great to drive could be very expensive to fix if it goes wrong.

5. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I should be doing brakes in the UK! I just did some on my car, took about 1/2 hour, the new brakes are so easy to do compared with 70-80's USA Cars.

Yes audio is hot right now, the smart guys held on to their equipment even with the constant whine of having to downsize to Bose. When I look at some of my equipment I wonder what the real street value is, there's nothing comparable today unless you spend big money. I'd take a roached out M90 to save some dollars but even those are non-existant.

I think old audio is also a statement piece, for kids to have a vintage set up is kind of cool again, music will always be popular and kids want something nice so they can share it with their friends.

Remember, a lot of the vintage audio was designed by professional industrial designers, there's so much beautiful equipment even going into the early 90's but now it mostly looks like crap, there's very few consumer items that have any character. High end new equipment is different, some of it is stunning.

6. Mystic Traveller

Yes I understand why you doing this but way too expensive.

Last autumn I did a big service on my XC90 - discs/pads "changed all around",
    breaking fluid, motor oil, filters, all 4 wheel alignment -
    I paid circa £400 and the parts were "genuine" Volvo's but service unofficial Volvo's
    and prices are lower here
    A famous VAG product - they have been beta-testing this on users for more than
    10 years now.
    I loved the idea of DSG and similar types of "robots" since the beginning but implementation
    and reliability... :(
    That's why I am still avoiding robots and variators only old good hydro mechanical auto..

Mister X likes this.
  7. Mystic Traveller

I heard some people even saying a component HiFi like it used to be doesn't exist anymore,
    it's gone..

8. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

The Japanese are still cranking it out, too bad it doesn't hit the world market. The "old" brands are still there, they even went back to silver face. This is a couple years ago in Akihabara, in this store's showroom area, are the entry level components, priced around $300 USD. Kid's don't know that they can make music better, once your hooked on your phone, that's the baseline for reproduction. When I was a kid, it was an all our war between Sansui, Marantz and Pioneer in sound quality.

DSCN1440sm.jpg

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020