1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Big Thread of MiniDisc Information

Discussion in 'Discmans, Minidisc, DCC and other players' started by Mister X, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Back in the day you had to go to the hifi store to see the actual device.. just the trip was worth it.

2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

We had three chain electronics stores in town and it was a treat to walk through their isles, I'm still looking for that square MD boombox I saw on the shelf back then, I really wanted it but it wasn't cheap.

The MiniDisc was a game-changer, it had the tech of floppy disc and the cool of CDs but it was so freakin expensive that it never had a chance against CD, which we were still recording to tape. This is when Sony was making some bad marketing mistakes that played in the news everyday. Just a few years earlier we were making the switch from vinyl to CD and now there was a new format, more expensive than CD.

The players were super-neat but like microcassette, you had to invest big money for the whole micro-system.

Emiel likes this.
  3. Emiel

Especially since DAT and DCC were also available roughly at the same time, adding MiniDisc to the mix didn’t make for a nice cocktail.
    I’m still amazed by the speed of miniaturization of the portable recorders, going from something like the D6(C) to D3 to the Panasonic SJ-MR220 in less than 20 years. (I don’t own a D6, but the dimensions of the D6C are equal.)

Attached Files:

4. Mister X

That was one of the big selling points for all the formats, it was amazing seeing how tiny they were getting, I bet there was some major competition among the manufacterers to be the first to market.

5. Emiel

It in fact was. When you browse through minidisc.org, you will very often find: smallest player/recorder to date, best battery life to date, etc. These rankings must have changed on a monthly base between 1999 and 2001.

Mister X likes this.
  6. Mister X

Even computers were in on it, remember the processor wars? Those were fun times, you only found out on the news or when you went to the store and they blitzed you with all of the new sales info.

Emiel likes this.
  7. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Love all that Electronics Australia review material. Takes me back to the 1960's building my first valve amps from an EA mag project. Thanks for the share

8. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Before any of that the miniaturisation was happening in calculators. I once had a quite large Booklet from Sharp and each year the highlight was how small they had made their latest calculator. The race didn't stop until Casio produced a genuine Credit Card size calculator which was the same thickness as well as outline of a card

I expect there was a lot of cross over between different products.
    The other thing that was shrinking was camcorders.

The only modern equivalent race I can think of is with phones, where a 0.3mm drop in thickness seems to be thought to be a newsworthy advance.

Mister X likes this.
  9. Mister X

When I got to school, we had to go with the bigger calculators, the TI-85 was required for a lot of classes and was really nice for complex equations, it replaced the TI-30 which was ground-breaking when it came out for checking your answers. Those little calculators were neat but I rarely saw them outside of ads. There's a really cool video on YouTube on the calculator wars, once again I feel sorry for kids today that didn't get to witness how competition made great products, group-think doesn't produce innovation.

10. Mister X

Sony NetMD from 2002, ah the early days of MP3's, what device was coming next? I think the MD Player had much larger storage than most MP3 Players but it was still an expensive system and I think it had digital right protection.

Sony NetMD 2002.png

11. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Well wasn't actually that fast to download under SonicStage on your PC but Atrac is a nice compression technology and Sony spent a lot developing it but of course it lost out to MP3 which was open source essentially for marketing reasons.

Emiel likes this.
  12. Emiel

I use the web application by Stefano Brilli to write MP3s to MiniDisc, no need to try to get the older Sony software to work.
    It works great for the N505 and I need to give it a try with my N910.
    You can also use it offline by creating a stand alone application from it - just 6MB on my Mac.
    https://stefano.brilli.me/webminidisc/

13. Emiel

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  14. Emiel

Mister X likes this.
  15. Emiel

I posted in another thread about energy efficiency of these small Minidisc portables (link).

Model | Total current in Playback mode, motors on/off | Max RPM | Cache size
    Sony MZ-N505: 160mA / 20mA | 2700 rpm | 16 Mb DRAM = 2 MB = yy seconds?
    Sony MZ-N910: 165mA / 45mA | 3600 rpm | y MB? = 200 seconds

With the motors off, the players are pretty efficient and void of mechanical noises.
    Especially the N910 sounds like it is trying to grind the disc during read, most likely due to increased max RPM.
    This read to cache period is relatively short, and as soon as the cache is full, the motors are stopped.

Any ideas about the relation 'coasting' to normal pb mode?
    The N910 should play for 31 hours straight in normal mode on a Sony NH-14WM.
    That gumstick battery capacity is 1350mAh, so 1350mAh/31h equals approximated 44mA.
    Very close to the provided total current figure in the service manual, 45 vs. 44.
    That would mean that caching / reading content with motors on happens just a tiny fraction of the time.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  16. Emiel

Attached are a number of catalogs, released by Sony in Japan.
    Also included in the catalogs are portable CD players, Network Players (MP3 + ATRAC) and cassette Walkmans.
    The latest dates from August 2008, these are the MiniDisc portables still available at the time:
    3 Hi-MD units: MZ-RH1 (recorder), MZ-EH70 and MZ-EH50 (playback), and
    2 NetMD units: MZ-N920 (improved N910), MZ-N520 (improved N510).
    It looks like all units were developed for the Japanese market only (minidisc.org, minidisc.wiki), absence of English press releases, etc.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    Mister X, Silver965 and Valentin like this.
  17. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

Emiel likes this.
  18. Mister X

Early USA Review of the MiniDisc Player, interesting information. Didn't Tom Erlewine go on to be a big album reviewer?

January 20, 1994 (vol 104, iss 62) - Image 11.png

Emiel likes this.
  19. Mister X

The Minidisc is coming, from 1992 Hi-Fi News.

Minidisc 1992.png

20. Mister X

HiFi News 1992

Hi-Fi-News-1992-08.png