1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the Cloneman mission

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by autoreverser, Dec 29, 2016.

1. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

...hurry up, i‘m waiting :fisch

2. autoreverser

ok, maybe time has come.

is there anybody out there, who‘s interested in continuing this ?

you all folks know my Cloneman-collection by now quite well, there‘s more than 45, even 50 different units.
    i don‘t have either passion, nor time to continue it with the passion those time-whitnesses deserve and i‘m considering to sell the lot. anybody interested here in the forum ?
    i‘m located in the centre of germany, if somebody comes up with a fair price-idea, i come up with a fair shipping/transport idea, promise !
    there‘s quite a few rather fair units but also a load of boxed ones, big names, no-names and and and...

come on folks, this needs to be carried on and in good hands, pm me when you‘re interested...

Mister X likes this.
  3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Say it's not so! This is one of the coolest threads on any cassette forum, you've done something that would be next to impossible to redo. Hook up with Techmoan or the new member (from Germany) and do an exhaustive video, there's so much good in these units, I always smile when I see a new one and think of this thread, more in-depth knowledge of manufacturing, markets, build quality would be nice.

Personally I've thought about mounting some of my equipment and "renting" it out to businesses that might want something cool on their walls for a few months. Let other's see the neat stuff we adore, over here they rent out all kinds of wall covering to companies to spice up their lobbies. Vintage audio displays are the Thomas Kinkade of the 2020's!

I'm a player but shipping sucks over here, maybe I'll ship over a big old 80's full size van in trade.

autoreverser likes this.
  4. autoreverser

sir, be aware i‘ll handle this with care ! no way to seperate the lot, who ever shows interest has to convince me that she/he‘s the „chosen one“ who is ready to continue the mission - it‘s just such a pity i don‘t have enough time to care for those more...

but well, well, well, maybe what you suggest is the better approach anyway:

where are the german members - anybody reading this and interested/ambitioned making a "Cloneman"- doku f.ex. as a YT- clip ?

CONTACT ME !

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    Mister X likes this.
  5. autoreverser

right, no keeper for the holy grail. looks like this is my personal burdon, what have i done :hissyfit:

ok. allways think positive, i just f***king carry on -here's a new member to the family, the amazing YOUNG WALKY FE-812: IMG_7879.jpg IMG_7880.jpg IMG_7881.jpg IMG_7882.jpg

6. Mister X

That is a cool looking unit, 80's modern design but it might predate that style by a few years. So what's the deal with "STEREO," the typeface looks hideous, I wonder why they didn't use big blocky letters that would have matched the square unit. I've asked before since most units use the same typeface, was it part of a trademark and they had to do it that way?

7. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Knowing how things were designed back then maybe someone else had used all the decent Letraset :wink2

Either that or the designer didn't understand Western fonts although that looks like something from the Wild West. I recently saw on one website something made in the 1960s in Hong Kong where they had the entire text on a packet mirrored, presumably because the Chinese speaking printer didn't know any better.

autoreverser likes this.
  8. autoreverser

just at a 2nd look i realized, those headphones look like tiny Grado-copies (...havent tested‘em, i‘m sure their performance is slightly behind the originals :headphones:)

9. autoreverser

985BD450-E3D0-41E6-AFAA-6003C96E1AAF.jpeg 15E521DC-7FC1-4B53-8830-118118E8EA35.jpeg 9BA69851-99F3-4937-8FCA-644B139A72F3.jpeg arrived today - please do not eat ;-)

10. autoreverser

...time for some update, today arrived from Tunesia (!) 5D1D6C5F-AED0-401C-9DB7-0F2E8C1565B4.jpeg B18EE6EA-88CD-4994-BE0C-E19360999CA3.jpeg the great IRRADIO Tape Sound 6:

11. capStan

capStan Member

Here is my SoundWalker, i bought in 2013.
    All German lettering
    It´s got KLANG, ;)so i mainly use it to listen to my Kraftwerk cassettes !:ohno2:

Attached Files:

nickeccles and autoreverser like this.
  12. autoreverser

ha, a nice one, too - don‘t even know if i have this derivate myselfe :thumbsup:

13. autoreverser

thanks to T-Ster, since yesterday i'm the very proud owner of a Binatone Hipfi 4 (...good lord, do i have to look for Hipfi 2 and 3 now as well ?):
    upload_2021-3-9_8-37-4.jpeg upload_2021-3-9_8-37-4.jpeg

14. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Glad that beauty arrived safe brother

15. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

Introducing: The WH Smith Ps-CP1! :delighted:

Found this online a few years ago for £8! lol

It works perfectly on it's original belts too!! WH Smith Personal Stereo Radio Cassette Player - June 2016 (1).jpg WH Smith Personal Stereo Radio Cassette Player - June 2016 (2).jpg WH Smith Personal Stereo Radio Cassette Player - June 2016 (3).jpg WH Smith Personal Stereo Radio Cassette Player - June 2016 (4).jpg WH Smith Personal Stereo Radio Cassette Player - June 2016 (5).jpg WH Smith Personal Stereo Radio Cassette Player - June 2016 (6).jpg WH Smith Personal Stereo Radio Cassette Player - June 2016 (7).jpg WH Smith Personal Stereo Radio Cassette Player - June 2016 (8).jpg WH Smith Personal Stereo Radio Cassette Player - June 2016 (9).jpg WH Smith Personal Stereo Radio Cassette Player - June 2016 (10).jpg

autoreverser likes this.
  16. Mister X

SantiOriginal likes this.
  17. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

Yup! That's the same as the other clones, just cosmetic differences! These really were good players - Just look how many bought them in to re-badge as their own.........

Mister X likes this.
  18. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

For those of you outside the U.K. WH Smith is still going and is a large chain of Newsagents with a branch in most major Railway stations.
    Their larger high street branches also sell stationary and in the 1980s sold records and cassettes and were one of the first U.K. high street shops to sell home computers. What with them and Boots, I reckon in 1985 there were at least as many shops where you could buy a Personal Stereo and some pre-recorded cassettes, as there are places you can buy a mobile phone today

autoreverser, nickeccles and Mister X like this.
  19. Mister X

I'd love to see autoreverser get with one of the new video members and do a video documentary on these, it's fascinating how many were made, most have some subtile differences making me think they were made by several different manufacturers.

nickeccles likes this.
  20. autoreverser

sir, if you‘re (for whatever reason) ever short £9,- - pleez let me know, i might have an idea how to help out :groupwave

nickeccles likes this.