1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The JVC KD-S201 Stereo Cassette Deck: A Timeless Audio Companion

Discussion in 'Cassette Decks' started by Retro Audio Museum, Aug 13, 2023.

1. Retro Audio Museum

Retro Audio Museum Active Member

As for me, the JVC cassette decks always stand out from the crowd. They are just a little bit different from others, more or less, but this difference is worth it. Especially, if we are talking about the design of these machines.

For example, the design of the JVC KD-S201 Stereo Cassette Deck, manufactured by Victor Company of Japan in 1977, looks like a future spaceship for this time. KD-S201 definitely stands as a true testament to design and auditory excellence. Designed as a perfect complement to JVC's knobless receiver line (such as JR-S201 DC Integrated Receiver in the picture), this cassette deck isn't just a functional piece of hardware, but a carefully sculpted masterpiece that seamlessly blends visual allure with unparalleled sound performance.

JVC_03.jpg

Sporting a low wow and flutter rate of just 0.14% (DIN45500), coupled with a signal-to-noise ratio exceeding 56dB at 1kHz with ANRS-off-top specifications, the KD-S201 guarantees a sonic experience that surpasses expectations by any measures. The impressive frequency response is 20 - 20000 Hz on the FeCr tape.

Versatility and adaptability define the KD-S201's compatibility with various tape types. With its adjustable equalizer time constants – switchable between 3180μs/70μs and 3180μs/120μs – the deck accommodates a wide range of tape varieties, be it normal, CrO2, or FeCr tapes. Each tape finds its voice in the KD-S201, promising maximum effectiveness and an enriched recording experience that resonates with the fantastic appearance.

A feat of architectural finesse, the KD-S201 is powered by JVC's meticulously engineered FG servomotor, ensuring tape handling that is both gentle and precise. The Full Automatic Stop mechanism further safeguards your tapes, halting the transport mechanism when a tape reaches its end, regardless of the operational mode. An innovative optoelectronic system, guided by a light-sensitive cell, further contributes to the tape's controlled movement, sparing you the frustrations of yesteryears' jam-prone decks and overheated motors.

The KD-S201's comprehensive feature set includes separate MIC (DIN)/LINE circuits, an Output Volume Control, Gear/Oil-Damped Cassette Lid, and a Timer Standby Mechanism. These elements harmonize seamlessly, adding to the deck's overall sophistication and usability.

In summary, the JVC KD-S201 Stereo Cassette Deck stands as a timeless embodiment of engineering precision, design, and audio finesse. Its meticulously crafted design and exceptional recording capabilities create an auditory experience that transcends the ordinary, making it an essential addition to any discerning audiophile's collection.

m80116, LIVO, Mister X and 2 others like this.
  2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Those tape decks are super-rare, maybe it was because it matched that reciever. I'm still kicking myself for not buying that reciever years ago when I saw one for like $25 USD, that was more than most equipment I used to find but I've never seen another one locally.

I feel like the golden, kind of odd design, was inspiration for Pioneer and their early 80's components. While different looking, they also went with a "new" approach to the design and went with light gold as well.

Retro Audio Museum likes this.