1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultimate Marantz, Superscope, UNIX Boombox Thread

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

I had one of marantz's highest end equ's i found it sounded ok but it was lightweight and cheaply made, never been keen on marantz or phillips im afraid....hope you're keeping sane Mr x, boomboxery has gone down for a few days hope that doesn't happen here lad

Mister X likes this.
  2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I've seen some of the Marantz EQs and have the same impression, very light weight, I'm not sure about the sonics but to me they're more for show with your other Marantz Equipment. The little EQ with the 53 Micro-Systems is actually kind of nice, it mirrors more of the boombox EQs that have a nice solid movement to them and can help with the environment.

To be fair I have both the Sansui SE-7 and Pioneer SG-9800, both beautiful units that look great. If I hook them up I usually end up just doing a line in for the light show, which isn't much on these units. I can rarely get an EQ to work where I feel it's really pushing the areas that sound bad. One of my favorites is the BSR EQ-3000, I can get some improvements but overall, it's still minimal.

I'm doing good, we're starting to open back up over here and I like to keep moving. Our big blizzard was kind of a bust yesterday, I was looking forward to some big snow. What happened to BBX, I just checked and your right, I don't go over there too much, I like to keep my material fresh and try not to copy previous threads (but even that is very hard).

Radio Raheem likes this.
  3. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

It must be just me buddy but one eq dosen't do it for me im running 2 64 band equ's one just dosen't have enough bass lol

i cant remember the model but my marantz was a 12 band from 83....never had a marantz boombox either lad, they were never rated by the old guys but some of them look great......me im still alive just repaired my monitor audio gx 300 bought 2 new main drivers cost £300

had to repair them i could never afford 3 grand on speakers lad...im lucky though the speakers only cost me 500 pounds in the first place bud, the 9800 eq looks sweeet lad but had enough of those old pioneer amps man there just to old now imho

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    Mister X likes this.
  4. Mister X

I've spent about 20 years getting my collection, nothing is hi-end but that's ok, I've got a ton of stuff I love to play with and swap around, right now I hooked up a AIWA 22 to a Denon MD and have been blasting that while working. My Kenwood Stack is going back into storage. I was never a fan of the tuner, it was pretty lame.

I can tell that most of my stuff will need recapping soon, the bass is really disappearing. I just need to start with something easy and get my skills improved, time is also a big factor.

Marantz Boomboxes have such a strange history with all of the name changes, Superscope, Marantz, UNIX, and back to marantz. There's two or three entry level boxes by Superscope but the rest are pretty nice, even the models towards the end have a nice feel and look to them, the CRS-2800 I just got is still sitting on my desk, I really like the way it looks just sitting here. I found out about them from this forum when ARKAY used to talk about all of the big ones he'd find over in Hong Kong, he never posted a photo so you'd have to take his word for it.

5. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Mystic Traveller and Mister X like this.
  6. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Sony and Superscope together? Just a dealer...

7. Mister X

After Superscope took over Marantz in the early 60's, they went over to Japan to find manufacturers. They found a few companies to build stuff for them including Standard Radio, whom they eventually took over, but they also found Sony and signed an exclusive distribution deal on the tape products destined for the USA. The deal expired in 1979, right before the Walkman was released. I talked with one of the old retired Marantz Product Managers and he didn't know about the Walkman, a product that might have saved Marantz from being sold off.

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  8. CDV

CDV Well-Known Member

Which is why I never cared for fancy brands, as most of the time they offloaded actual production to the companies that knew a thing or two about actually designing and manufacturing these things. The off-the-conveyor-line components would be put into a fancy box and sold for a margin that Sony or Matsushita could only dream of.

Mister X likes this.
  9. Mystic Traveller

Very interesting!!
    Sony.jpg

10. Mystic Traveller

A cool ad. :)

Sony.jpg

Mister X likes this.
  11. Mystic Traveller

12. Mister X

CDV, most brands had multiple suppliers, Japanese Products were notorious for it going by one of the greatest threads posted on The Vintage Knob. Unfortunately the thread is now found on The Wayback Machine.
    https://web.archive.org/web/2014060...knob.org/tvk_talk/viewtopic.php?f=1477&t=2395

For the portable media world there's only a small group, I'd put Nagra with them but even they might have sourced out components.

13. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I have commented before that until I joined this forum I thought that companies like Marantz and Fisher were as Japanese as Kenwood or Sony. We never got to see the non Japanese products. At the same time members in the USA probably see brands like Ferguson, Bush, Alba, Goodmans, and Wharfedale, not realising that they started out as U.K. based manufacturers back when they supplied a significant share of the market and their main competitor was Philips headquartered in Holland but with many factories in the U.K.

Of course such tie-ups weren't new. It isn't coincidence that HMV and Victor (JVC) have the same trademark (Dog & Gramophone). That tie up dates back to 1901 !

14. Reflex85

Reflex85 Member

Please excuse the dust! These are my personal recorders that have seen many years of hard use in my home as well as outdoors. My favorite by far is the PMD340 which seems to be built like a tank. I have read that the tape transport is not very robust but as hard as I have beat on this thing, it still works fine. I have never replaced or repaired anything over the years and others than worn heads, I have no criticism.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    Mister X, Valentin and CDV like this.
  15. Mister X

Great units Reflex85, some of these units have very small differences like gold plated panels and silver button rings.

The older, larger PMD Model are really nice looking and still a relative bargain in the cassette world, even sitting on a shelf you can tell they were meant for business.

16. Mister X

Some Marantz Goodies from 1985, a very late sighting, price is in Singapore Dollars.

Marantz 1985.png

17. Lowie Verwegen

Lowie Verwegen New Member

Hello. There is also a Superscope CR-1053S. I have one. :music: Instead of LW it had SW.
    [​IMG]

Emiel and Mister X like this.
  18. Mister X

Very nice Lowie Verwegen, the gray front seems different that most models. I'd love to know why they started putting on "by marantz" on the front of these units, either it was to boost sales or region licensing, who knows? I should add to this thread, I've aquired a few more gems from the line-up.

19. Lowie Verwegen

Lowie Verwegen New Member

I think it was just to boost sales.:wink2

Mister X likes this.
  20. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

yesterday i got this beautyful Superscope C-108 pressman-type from a dear friend in Italy (very similar to the Sony TC-55) L9996357.JPG L9996358.JPG L9996359.JPG L9996360.JPG L9996361.JPG L9996362.JPG

checkout the nice position of the counter !

and very interesting: the AA-cartridge is the same as in early Sony Watchman and WM-D6/D6C !