1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultimate Marantz, Superscope, UNIX Boombox Thread

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

What a cool option, I'm surprised more boomboxes didn't have these. Superscope had protective covers for the PMD Line of recorders very similar to this.

crs.png

2. Mister X

The UNIX KZ-1000, it looks like a karaoke machine, there's something about the pressboard that doesn't inspire me, oh yea, it also takes 8-tracks!

Edit: I've looked at a few other units like this one, it seems to be a standard design for these early home karaoke machines. The 8-track cartridge holds the pre-recorded songs on it without a vocal track. While singing to the music you can record yourself on the cassette deck.

hidamarino_tami1202-img600x600-14766034101476603409_967610894sfzgp1089.jpg
    hidamarino_tami1202-img600x600-14766034101476603409_96771089r3t0qj1089.jpg

This does say Marantz Japan on the label, it's hard to see in these photos.

hidamarino_tami1202-img600x600-14766034101476603409_96781089y0isbd1089.jpg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Mystic Traveller likes this.
  3. Mister X

These might be the microphones that go with the UNIX KZ-1000. These are the UNIX CSA806

sim 4.jpg

4. Mister X

This is one of two UNIX Units I've seen come up for sale in North America the last 10 years, there might be more that I missed. The blue color is striking and it's matching handle really pulls off the appeal. I should have bought it but I had no idea of the quality and they wanted pretty good money for it, this was about two years ago.

unix boombox.jpg

5. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

5.jpg

nickeccles and Mister X like this.
  6. Mister X

I wonder if the Sansui Version had any other color beside black but even the black is nice with the high gloss sides and the flat black center section.

7. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

I picked this Superscope up recently 14B4C696-AE06-4BB5-80B7-74C7628251E5.jpeg

8. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

nice grab, i also have one - nice unit - but i definitely could do with one of those UNIX crs 3.5 or the Sansui-aka :worship:

Northerner likes this.
  9. Mister X

I thought the Superscope CRS-3504 was just a rebadged Marantz PMS-3500 but with four radio bands but there is a real difference, I'll post my Marantz PMS-3500 soon and we can see the changes.

Some of this is a little boggling since most historical information says Phillips bought Marantz in 1980. It's more like they bought the name from Superscope for certain markets but Superscope still survived primarily making high end portable recorders and still do today. Marantz Japan split into at least three entities, all still surviving today and it seems to be the manufacturing arm for the boxes and personal cassette players that were sold to both Phillips and Superscope in the 80's.

I added some more Marantz Japan Information on the first page, there's at least one more version of the company I'll add soon.

10. Mister X

Get the Sansui AKA UNIX 3.5 while you can, they always went for decent money but now they're getting silly money for them. It's definitely on the list of market movers along with the AIWA Microcassette Unit.

11. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

Now you are going to have to add "Sears" to your title :)
    IMG_3561 Sears 20207 Sansui FX-300R  Marantz PH-32W (upset me to not find this knob).JPG IMG_3562 Sears 20207 Sansui FX-300R  Marantz PH-32W (upset me to not find this knob).JPG IMG_3563 Sears Model 20207 Aux Line-in fuzzy.JPG IMG_3564 Sears Model 20207 Aux Line-in worng depth of field.JPG IMG_3565 Sears Model 20207 everything else.JPG IMG_3566 Sears Model 20207 table-top.JPG IMG_3568 Sears Model 20207 Aux Line-in end.JPG IMG_3569 Sears Model 20207 Aux Line-in top angle.JPG IMG_3570 Sears Model 20207 Aux Line-in back.JPG IMG_3571 Sears Model 20207 Aux Line-in Sansui FX-300R.JPG IMG_3572 Sansui FX-300R Sears Model 20207.JPG IMG_3573 Sansui FX-300R back Sears Model 20207.JPG IMG_3574 Sansui FX-300R input Sears Model 20207.JPG IMG_3575 Unix or Sears Model 20207.JPG

Mystic Traveller and Mister X like this.
  12. Mister X

Thanks for checking in Cassette2go! I was hoping to see your Marantz PH-32 after reading some old threads on the forum reader. Are you implying the Sears model is also the UNIX-3? That would be a really cool discovery and they do look alike, I just need to get my reading glasses on.

Your photos are great, thanks for adding them.

I'm checking out the Sears Vendor List over at Vintage Machinery and believe it or not Marantz is listed as a vendor, * 773, so there may some truth to this, do you have a full model number, not the numbers on the back? Usually the vendor number is the first followed by a period and a bunch of more numbers. Simpson-Sears is the Canadian Sears so they may have used a differnet numbering system but still fascinating.
    http://vintagemachinery.org/Craftsman/manufacturers.aspx?sort=1

EDIT 2/19/19 I finally found a UNIX-3 and can confirm it's identical to the Sears, Cassette2go, thanks for the information! Do you know if there were other Sears Marantz Models and were they Canada only?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  13. Mystic Traveller

Yes, cool:thumbsup: little Sears!

14. Mister X

Most UNIX Branded Items seem to be portable units but they must have had a decent component line, here's a speaker, the blue is outstanding.

It was listed a few years ago on a Russian Site

• Sell a rare 4-band acoustics Unix KS300 - a professional version of the Marantz LS17
    max 200W weight about 25kg, 100W / 8Ohm, max 200W
    w / h horn, n / h 38cm - paper, s / h - paper
    • Notable differences from Marantz LS17
    The suspension is more rigid on the n / a dynamics, since the paper is impregnated, the lack of regulators, h / h, s / h
    The cabinet is covered with eco-leather, carrying handle, at the corners protective metal corners
    The sound is brighter, voluminous, dynamic and assertive, bass drum and accurate without milling
    bright, transparent, volumetric middle, stunningly detailed high
    Great sing from the lamp
    Smart appearance, live look impressive
    The condition is excellent, the speakers are ideal, the case without damage, almost did not work, bought for fun in Japan, mostly as an element of the interior, impressed the appearance, but later the sound, as it turned out sounded like they look, saturated, boldly

259381.jpg

15. Mister X

One of the rarest and most coveted Marantz UNIX Units, the UNIX CRS-2. This is a micro-cassette player that seems to have been made only for the Japanese Market even though it has a full FM band. I think they did this so they could include the TV band that takes up the upper frequency in Japan. This is a mythical unit and this might be the first time it's been posted on any forum or blog, I don't remember anybody posting about this model.

This is not mine but it is for sale....AO are you out there?

i-img600x338-1533630734voficc5547.jpg i-img600x338-15336307342larrm5547.jpg i-img600x338-15336307347vggi65547.jpg i-img600x338-1533630734s7tzzq5547.jpg i-img600x338-1533630734hiwbhb5547.jpg

I borrowed this picture from that great site shizaudio.ru, thanks Mystic!

UNIX_CRS-2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  16. Mister X

I've added a few dealer cut sheets to earlier posts if you missed them, some of it may be seeing the first light of day, at least on the internet. Instead of adding new posts I edited old posts to add them. I still have a bunch more information to add to hopefully keep this thread exciting.

Cassette2go likes this.
  17. Mystic Traveller

Yep, was asking about $1000 for that pair.

18. Mystic Traveller

Not at all, mate, help yourself. :)

I myself have been borrowing quite a few photos from both S2G and Boomboxery,
    just to share them with my forum guys. Not of them have a proper command of English to actively
    explore the above sites.
    Without information exchange forums like ours IMO will lose a lot.
    We call it "stew in one's own juice".. :)

Mister X likes this.
  19. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

Some extraordinary & Beautiful machines in this thread - The unobtainable machines always seem to be so desirable..................unfair indeed!!

I have said before that the 70's portable stereo's were a forerunner to what became the 'Boomer' as we know it! Both quality & mickey mouse generic models are so important from that time - The quality & build of both sides was so high, the budget brands stayed pretty decent until around 1983/84 demonstrating that you could get a piece of history (Even today) for not much money which is why I like many mickey mousers from that period! I remember at boarding school in 1978 a few guys had superscope radio/cassettes & although nothing special soundwise, these things were built to a ridiculous high & solid standard! Huge solid tape transport buttons & tape doors you could hang off strong with cases that not only had that 70's look but could stand tons of abuse!! Later 70's saw Superscope grow up & produce portables worth taking a lot more notice of as documented here.........
    Without all the 70's brands cheap & expensive, things would never have evolved the way they did!!
    With parents as tight as mine, a Waltham in the Argos catalogue was still exciting especially a stereo model! :lollegs:

Mystic Traveller and Mister X like this.
  20. Mister X

Were those your Marantz Speakers Mystic? $1000, that's lot of cash for used speakers, I'm assuming they were a pretty decent line then. I've got older Made in USA Marantz HD-880's, huge monster speakers that were close to the best Marantz made over here, they've slowly gone up in value over the years in a nice way. A lot of Marantz's Speakers had cool looking fronts, some of the foam grills have squares that are in the shape of a "M", you have to look close to catch it, and my big ones have a beautiful front baffle when exposed and a really cool 3-D grill that's almost diamond shape. The big speakers have a concave dust cover, the only speakers I know of with it and a good way to tell if they've been replaced. I have to believe that those speakers have zero connection to mine, made at a different factory with different engineers.