1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultimate Marantz, Superscope, UNIX Boombox Thread

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

So, today I opened Superscope CRS-152 which I bought because of reading too much off this awesome thread... and I am mightily impressed!!! No monkey-business with multipins, everything hardwired and packed so tight that it hurts my eyes! But, unlike my post about the "ugliest Discman" from Craig here, the layout is neat, no ugliness from overhanging caps anywhere. Wish Someone tells me how much this Beast cost at the time: a Lot of efforts just to put it together went there... To sum up: the unfortunate wait for Dolby chip and JVC pinchroller which got stuck in Chinese and Slovakia customs had pushed me into the depths of this daddy of bboxes, now I have to buy its SM to learn more... Beautiful Beast!!!
    L1140624.JPG

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    Mister X likes this.
  2. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

And quality wires too.....Not thin brittle wires used by mid-80s Taiwanese rubbish (Lasonic, Helix, Nippon, etc.)

Jorge and Mister X like this.
  3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I can almost smell that vintage electronics board smell from here Jorge, I'll see if I can find a manual, I've got a million sites bookmarked that might have one. Thanks for the contribution, you guys are posting some great stuff.

Here's another Marantz Unicorn, the Marantz 7700 Reel to Reel from 1978, Supposedly two have been found and there might be more that they used for their player piano line, otherwise it was just a prototype.

http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=4470
    http://www.1001hifi.com/tape-1.html

MARANTZ 7700 hobby___.jpg
    Marantz 7700.jpg

4. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Jorge can you find the amp chip and read its code number?

5. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

no such thing in here!!! :)
    here is its amp: four transistors on a huge heat-sink, two coupling and two output transformers:
    L1140624b.jpg

part of the magic, myguess, why it sounded so sweet and so unlike all my other bboxes :D

6. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Wow, strange they put such high quality into something that only has about 2 watts per channel, ha ha. It sounds OK, but somewhat limited in range since there are only 2 speakers. I added some felt over the speaker vents to increase the bass, but it didn't help much.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    Jorge likes this.
  7. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Nah, mate, never had such high level speakers yet.
    Sorry if I was unclear - I meant the owner was asking.. :)

Have no time nor space for a decent HiFi home system, only kinda of simple one
    and portable digital Hi-Fi. :)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  8. Mister X

Marantz, the Gold Standard, I remember hearing that a lot in the golden age of transistor stereos. Marantz, Pioneer and Sansui had the wattage wars in the 70's, helping us forget how cars were neutered during this time period. After home stereos started to fade, a new war, the processor wars broke out.

cf5ed51c1356fee426023b6099c3437a--vintage-stuff-retro-vintage.jpg

Mystic Traveller and Jorge like this.
  9. Mister X

Here's two oddball systems, while not boomboxes they seem to be made from boomboxes with a case to make it more like an all-in-one home unit. The Marantz MS-100 and the Marantz MS-300. I'm not sure what the difference is besides the cases and VU meters and these have Japan only FM band. ARKAY talked about finding a Marantz System with no speakers years ago at his Hong Kong Junk Shops, it was probably one of these.

2b16c8.jpg
    simTUW1KV72.jpg
    2b16ca.jpg

Jorge likes this.
  10. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

As they say in hi-end crowd: its the first Watt that counts! ;)
    CRS-152 is in one piece again, without multipin/flex connectors it was a full-tine job to get to its cassette mechanism and to DeOxit all the pots! Time to get me some beer for yet another photo for Beer'n'Boomboxes thread!!! :cool:

Mister X likes this.
  11. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

I am not surprised here: I used to plug the ports of my vented speakers (when I had such horrors) to tame the bass, not to pump it up! It comes with age methinks, this mindset of not caring about windows-shattering bass... but lamely enjoying instead the nuances of Beethoven's quartets and some Dead Can Dance/Lisa Gerrard singing... ((Says the guy who did the unthinkable and added ProAc subwoofer to his Naim SBL speakers... My only excuse was that I wanted to check if I can reproduce pipe organ works of Bach/Liszt in my room: I failed!!!!!!!!! but ProAc subwoofer got stuck in my system, on some Klaus Schulze tracks it scares the S&^# out of me!))

12. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Hmm, well you might be talking about bass ports.

I've found you can increase the bass of cheap 1-piece ghettoblasters by covering some of the vents. It's the same principle as putting them against a wall. It pumps up the bass a little, from simple reflection. There are too many vents on some of those ghettoblasters, which allows the bass to just dissipate into nothingness. That's OK if you're using it at a picnic where people will be walking around all sides of it, but not when you're simply standing in front of it.

Jorge likes this.
  13. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Looks like they used the center section of a PMS-7000.

14. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

yes, you are absolutely right, box with vents instead of bass port is totally different beast, practically an open baffle design. Sealing the box should give more bass, but CRS-152 does not have those few extra Watts needed to drive acoustic suspension.

15. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

L1140660.JPG

No wonder it sounds sweet but wimpy: all this volume for just a 3.5" driver... begging for an upgrade!!! :hmmmOr should I stay kosher and leave it as-is?

16. Mister X

At least the plastic's thick....

Jorge likes this.
  17. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Upgrade definitely. Try dropping down to 6 or 4 ohms. I haven't seen any boombox amp that couldn't handle 4 ohms.

Jorge likes this.
  18. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Done for now, everything up to specs (which are pretty low) but midrange is pretty sweet... As the first mod-step I will try "ambience" driver firing backwards thru the vents, better/bigger driver and plastic surgery next
    L1140676.JPG
    L1140682.JPG
    L1140685.JPG

My first Marantz, ever!!! :)

Mister X likes this.
  19. Mister X

That looks like heavy gauge speaker wire on it, it sure cleaned up good, looks great!

20. Mister X

I found some Marantz UNIX-3 Photos, Let's see if looks like cassette2go's Sears Box.

crs3 1.jpg
    crs3 2.jpg
    crs3 3.jpg
    Crs3 4.jpg