1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultimate Marantz, Superscope, UNIX Boombox Thread

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

cassette2go's photo

IMG_3569 Sears Model 20207 Aux Line-in top angle.JPG

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  2. Mister X

Back in the early days of the forum, Hong Kong Member Arkay used to talk about Marantz Brands that were badged Universal and I think he might have mentioned Standard. He had found what might have been one of the only Universal Version of the PMS-6000 Boombox Turntable known to exist. The Marantz Version is ultra-rare as is the UNIX Version. Marantz was expanding it's manufacturing and they might have used other brand names under their umbrella to get around trademark or copyright infringement with the Philips buy out. I noticed this little guy recently, not really related but still a very cool spy kind of receiver, the Standard (by Marantz) Model AX700 VHF/UHF Wide Band Receiver. I'm just showing a cool unit that also shows the Standard/Marantz Branding.

Standard 1.png
    Standard 2.png

3. Lowie Verwegen

Lowie Verwegen New Member

Hello. By coincidence, I found this forum, browsing the Net for Superscope audio. Since 5 years, I am a big Superscope fan and collected up to 54 items of it untill today. In my collection are three portable radiocassetterecorders. A CR-1200, a CR-1300 and a real boombox CRS-4003S. The last one mentioned I bought only two weeks ago. It's still waiting for some attention but it works. And it's one heavy dude, I can tell you. Three weeks ago, I made a website about my hobby. If you like you can take a look. Pictures of my CR-1200 and CR-1300 are also on my site. My website: www.superscopeaudio.nl .

The Superscope CRS-4003S:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    nickeccles likes this.
  4. Mister X

Beautiful box Lowie Verwegen and welcome to the site. The 4000 Series are such a nice boxes and have flown under the radar for years, mine only has AM/FM and is missing one of the buttons on the top, replaced with a cap. I have a lot more information and boxes to contribute to this thread, including some of the most rare portable units, but I get tied up during my busy work season.

The US didn't have a lot of Superscope Component Systems, I think most audio guys were really turned off by the Marantz "Budget" Line but some really nice units are starting to show up around the world. There's a great thread on AudioKarma from a few years ago where a poster bought a really nice looking Superscope Version of a Marantz Amp and Tuner that was a dead ringer on the outside but inside they had used budget electronics.

Here's a link for information on the archived Superscope Website https://web.archive.org/web/20030601000000*/http://superscopetechnologies.com/ including the PMD/CD Line of Field Recorders and a few of the boomboxes. They've changed their website several time over the years so you need to do a lot of hunting but there should be some good information for you website, make sure you check out the PDFs.

5. Lowie Verwegen

Lowie Verwegen New Member

Thank!! I just browsed a little. When I have more time, I will have a good and long look.

6. Mister X

I just found this Superscope by Marantz CRS-2025, another new model for the list, maybe Asian Market only? I was expecting a CRS-2020 with extra radio bands and some additional feature but it's a different box, more upmarket and ultra-rare.

2025 1.jpg
    2025 2.jpg

nickeccles and Mystic Traveller like this.
  7. Mister X

...and the Superscope by Marantz CR-2480. This looks like a pretty robust mono box.

CR 2480 1.jpg
    cr 2480 2.jpg

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  8. Mister X

An unidentified UNIX Boombox

unix 000.jpg

nickeccles likes this.
  9. Niteshooter

Niteshooter Member

Just thought I'd share my Marantz MS100 that I found in a Goodwill back in the 80's. It was missing the knobs on the cassette deck and I never got around to trouble shooting the dead left channel. Otherwise powers on and works on right channel. 15419901020068459483809647927720.jpg 1541990153076511273374034844055.jpg 15419902930856032307367480029972.jpg

Mister X likes this.
  10. Niteshooter

Niteshooter Member

Back in the 80's80's we didn't have little cell phones with cameras. Might have just discovered why one chsnnel is kaput.... Those resistors don't look too happy....

20181111_214655.jpg

11. Mister X

Interesting, it has 110v and North American FM Band. It's cool but at the same time the execution looks like they put a boombox in a wooden box. This may be the only one over here, they show up for sale in Japan about twice a year but they tend to be rare. A great conversation piece for a Marantz Collector.

12. Niteshooter

Niteshooter Member

I remember once the internet was around trying to find information about it but only finding one site with a photo of one that was unopened or something along those lines and that it was considered rare with a crazy asking price. I paid $40 for it at the Goodwill and at the time I was hesitant but mistakenly thought I could pull it apart and that the tuner, preamp/amp and tape deck were separate components. Was dismayed when I popped the back! Then discovered a dead channel. Goodwill shoppers like to steal the knobs off stereos as well.... Also wondered if a turntable was part of the package as the case was large enough to support one on top, plus the case has a slot that fits LPs and there is a phono input on the back panel. Guess I should hook up one of my turntables and see if it needs a preamp though suspect it's a 'real' phono input so might be good as is.

Thanks for mentioning the voltage, I just took a second look and notice the power supply has 4 settings which is unusual.

If I can get her on the bench and working I just might try and track down some knobs, granted the likelihood of finding correct knobs is pretty slim though perhaps off a dead Marantz cassette deck? Then I'll have to figure out the tape drive belt which I seem to recall was found in pieces inside the unit..... hmm starting to remember why I may have stopped several decades ago....

13. Niteshooter

Niteshooter Member

Interesting, we had a few Standard brand UHF 2 way radios at work. Your unit looks almost commercial in design especially with a PL-259 connector on back for the antenna. Screen design is interesting as well, almost makes me wonder if it’s a scope. Maranta was into that tech way back with their tuners. But it must be fairly recent as it scans into the original cellular band (locked out?).

14. Mister X

Marantz has so many different knob styles and that might be a thread in itself. Yours look like frosted-flat--faced round but I've seen round with flats and round with a bevel where the indicator groove is. I'd head over to a machine shop and see if they can turn them in aluminum, they'd probably look pretty good.

15. Niteshooter

Niteshooter Member

Yes they are different then the ones on my Marantz receivers. This one has a very slight gold tint to it, which I seem to recall was something Marantz tried way back and they are also as you say a frosted-flat finish. The knobs on all of my receivers are shiny silver in colour, not that I'd pull ones from my working pieces!

I have some pulls from a couple of tape decks I recycled so at least I can cover the posts until I get a chance to go check out a surplus electronics shop here in Toronto.

16. Mister X

I was looking at the "portable" units in regards to the knobs, the components seem to be standardized, at least from the Superscope Era.

17. Niteshooter

Niteshooter Member

Makes sense, I can't image Marantz having some sort of special one off parts run for this thing. Especially considering how few seem to be out there. Size wise the knobs on it are fairly similar in size to the ones on my other Marantz gear just the finish is different. The pulls I have from a different brand tape deck don't fit the record level posts very well, the one on the mic level actually looks proportional just a bit too silver but you have to really look hard to notice.

Guess though before I go too crazy I better see about replacing those crispy resistors and see if that solves the missing channel. I'll do both while I'm at it, since the parts place is the same place I go to for odd ball pieces maybe I can get lucky on knobs as well.

If you ever get up this way, check them out. We used to have a couple of really good places for finding weird hard to find components but this is pretty much the only one left in the area other than the mess in my basement.... :biggrin:

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=e...hUKEwj3nveandDeAhUDyFkKHQGKCwAQoiowCnoECAYQBg

Mister X likes this.
  18. Mister X

Now we know where all the nobs went. I'll have to get the hockey team together and head over there.

19. Mister X

I just found these clippings that the auction says are from 1975, I would have bid but I missed the listing, maybe they'll show up on the web someday. I love seeing the accessories but it would be nice to see the turntable up closer.

CRS2100 1.png

CRS2100 3.png
    CRS2100 4.png

20. Mister X

Those speakers look like they came from Sony's FX Boombox, and the size matches just about perfectly, but I think the FX came out in the early 80's.