1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultimate Marantz, Superscope, UNIX Boombox Thread

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Whoa, that's a nice unique, never seen before Marantz. Thanks for posting!

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

The fact that the 100V mains voltage is moulded into the case shows they had no intention of it being sold outside of Japan.

4. Mister X

I tried to do some more searching for the newest discovery, the Marantz Bustang CRS 5.5, I could only find an advertising brochure from the 80's.

Marantz b 3.jpg
    55.3.jpg
    55 2.jpg
    55 1.jpg

5. Mister X

Here's an ad for the Superscope by Marantz CRS 4800 and CRS 5000 with pricing around $800 USD and $900 USD back in 1978.

Marantz b 1.jpg

6. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I originally joined Stereo2Go due to a discussion on prices so lets work out the price properly

First get the Yen / Dollar spot rate in 1978

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/b...rical-spot-exchange-rates/usd/USD-to-JPY-1978

It varies a bit but averages about 200 JPY to a Dollar.

so Y89800 = $449

Now feed it through an inflation calculator

http://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/1978?amount=449

and we get a 2019 price of $1750

If you find that surprising its not unbelievable as today people will spend that sort of money on a MacBook laptop.

One of the reasons I care about prices is that back in the 1970s and 1980s things like boomboxes were worth getting professionally repaired if they went wrong and people could make a nice living from it. I know someone (now retired) who did TV and audio repairs throughout the 1990s. A friend of mine was delighted to get her Aiwa Midi system repaired by him for about £70, after the shop she bought it from did nothing in months when she needed it repairing after the guarantee expired. Back then the alternative was paying £200 + on a new one. Nowadays you could probably pick up a similar system in a Charity shop for £20, while expensive items like the Macbook are almost unrepairable.

Mister X and Mystic Traveller like this.
  7. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Yeah! Cool ad, thank you! :)

Mister X likes this.
  8. Mister X

9. Mister X

10. Mister X

Hey, I found some old Superscope Ads, imagine that. The Internet Wayback Machine has a book and magazine section that I highly recommend checking out.

Here's some cool old 70's ads for Superscope by marantz, a lot of these were in Sports Illustrated. Some of these look plain but these were the first wave of these little mono boxes. These were really cool for portable listening and you could directly record off the radio, as a kid there was nothing better.

Superscope CR-1000A.jpg
    Superscope C-104.jpg
    Superscope CR-1200.jpg
    Superscope CR-800 2.jpg

11. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

"PLEASE NOTE THAT WE DO NOT ACCEPT OFFERS AS ALL PRICES ARE FINAL"

Good luck with that then. :nwink:

Mister X likes this.
  12. Mister X

He only needs one buyer, just one Reli.......

13. Mister X

The Superscope CR-2480! I might have to settle for one of the roached out versions that shows up every 10 years for sale. I ballpark the price at $445.00 USD around 1978, big money back then.

Superscope CR-2480.gif

14. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

MacBooks are the ultimate ripoff. There are dozens of Windows machines with equivalent specs for only $1000-1200, plus you can get them with a touchscreen and a 360-degree rotating hinge if you want. MacBooks don't even offer those features. They claim the consumer doesn't want them. In reality they're just trying to avoid cannibalization of iPad sales.

nickeccles and Jorge like this.
  15. Mister X

I've got all of those options Reli and I agree 100% with them, I hate touchscreens, except phone or tablets, and the hinges stink, I don't ever use that feature. The price may be high on MacBooks but they're still milking the old days where they had the fastest processor out there and if you were doing any graphic related work, you wanted that extra firepower. Now people will pay extra for what they perceive as a premium product and too be honest, there's a few features that are a little better.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    Jorge likes this.
  16. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

The only way a touchscreen laptop would cause any problems is if it wasn't bright enough to hide all the finger marks on the screen. But mine can go as high as 500 nits of brightness, plus it's got an anti-glare coating as well, so it's not an issue.

Mister X and Jorge like this.
  17. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

MacBooks is a new RELIGION, you can Not fight it! Try to enjoy The Show!!!
    :delighted:
    I actually USE my Windows laptop for my job, and it is vaaay over 10 years old. The rest of my family they use whatever little I am making to buy them a new Mac every two-three years: Macs, they just burn-out, or fall apart... But they are soo "hip"
    Me, I just spin my fav Genesis album: "what a poor boy can do"?... As always, Music saves me from frustrations and lost arguments :)

nickeccles and Mister X like this.
  18. Mister X

Well put Jorge! I'm living the same life in the Midwest. I just never figured out how to touch my screen easier than the other options, I'd love to learn and be apart of the group but it's all keyboards and finger pads for me.

19. Mister X

Marantz had the most hideous advertising in the 70's with these ugly cartoons charactors, this is a very rare crossover for Superscope using the world's worst advertising campaign and the Superscope C-108. Marantz and Sony were really close, I wonder if Marantz was close to making a stereo version. Maybe their sales agreement, that ended in 1979, prohibited Marantz from making their own. Sony had sued Marantz earlier for clarification on the terms of the agreement, maybe it was over portables.

C-108.jpg

20. Philip Taylor

Philip Taylor Active Member

Mister X likes this.